Upgrades to better rooms

I think we might wait until we get closer to sailing to call TA. By then they will have a better idea which rooms they have left, plus the price may continue to drop until up until the cruise. We also want to see our GTY assignment, because it may be something great and we might want to remain where we're placed. I am not expecting much since we booked cheapest category, but if the ship has a lot of nicer rooms left we may get a great upgrade, and we're gold members (if NCL takes that into consideration) so maybe our chances are better.

The inside cabin prices have stayed steady from the time of our booking, but the prices of oceanviews and balconys are dropping quite a bit! If they continue to drop, we would love to get a balcony!!

So you book a cruise and then it gets cancelled?

Yes, exactly.

NCL (and others) will offer whole-ship charters to promotional organizations like Sixthman and private corporations, whatever. They don't cancel cruises at the last minute. As I said above, it is typically a year or more out when customers are cancelled in favor of a charter.

The Pearl happens to be the ship NCL primarily uses for charters. However, the Jade was chartered for a "hotel" during the Olympics and the Getaway was the "Bud Light Hotel" during the last Super Bowl.

It happens.

Edited by triptolemus

Yes, exactly.

NCL (and others) will offer whole-ship charters to promotional organizations like Sixthman and private corporations, whatever. They don't cancel cruises at the last minute. As I said above, it is typically a year or more out when customers are cancelled in favor of a charter.

The Pearl happens to be the ship NCL primarily uses for charters. However, the Jade was chartered for a "hotel" during the Olympics and the Getaway was the "Bud Light Hotel" during the last Super Bowl.

It happens.

That's very strange.

I just saw a video of the balconies again and I realize that they are so small!! I think we'll stick to what we have (unless of course with GTY we get upgraded to a balcony).

Don't give up on a balcony. Some balconies are quite large. You have to do your research though...

How do you go.dm out which balconies are bigger?

The Breakaway's cabins have different categories and it says on the NCL website when you look at the stateroom that the B6 has a large balcony.

B6 Large Balcony

These staterooms have a large balcony offering incredible views, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed and additional bedding to sleep one or two more.

Accommodates: 3-4 Approx. Size: 245 sq. ft.

Edited by B6ConMe

I have always worked with a TA and I have gotten several free upgrades. My strategy: after final payment during the last week before we sail I contact my TA and ask them to check with NCL to see if there are any upgrade opportunities - THEY contact NCL and get back to me - I have gone from inside to balcony several times at no charge. On our very first NCL cruise we got upgraded from balcony to mini suite for a nominal charge through a TA - NCL actually contacted them to see if we wanted the upsell. So the TA did the work and I got the benefit.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get anything because you use a TA - if you work with a good company that wants to keep your business, you will get good service.

And you don't have to cancel with your TA and rebook with NCL - again I may rebook several times with my TA before final payment with no problems. I have even had the TA check the price BEFORE the final payment and give me the discount WITHOUT EVEN ASKING.

So don't be afraid to work with a good TA - many of them give OBC along with any OBC NCL is offering, we always have OBC with both when we sail.

Wish I could tell you who I use;)

dalgirl: Would you be able to view my public profile and email me who your TA is? Sounds like someone I would want to work with in the future.

In the past NCL has assigned my cabins ahead of the sailing date. I have had to wait for sailing date on other lines, so I do know the drill. I'm just curious what others experienced with cabin assignment. Early assignment or boarding day?

We sail 12 days from now. Others on this same sailing haven't gotten their assignments yet (roll call for our cruise date).

For those that don't understand why someone would book a lower cabin and then try to get upgraded:

On our 9 day Baltic cruise a few years ago the difference between an inside and a balcony cabin was $600 for each of us ($1200). Due to the port intensive itinerary, expensive airfares, exchange rates, etc. and also based on input given by other CC members we decided to save the money on the cabin for the most important thing - the excursions and extra days in Scandinavia - and booked an inside cabin. To see if we could really stay in an inside cabin for 9 days we went on a short 4 day cruise on the Sky - the first hour or so I wasn't sure I could do it, but then we settled in and decided it was doable. So final payment came and went, we were committed and looking forward to our new adventure.

Fast forward to 3 days before sailing. Since the price had dropped significantly (not a little, but a whole lot) I sent an email to my TA to see if there was any upgrade available on a better cabin. Huge price drops on European cruises are common close to sailing because the airfare at this point is so expensive from the US to Europe that the cruise will drop to just get people on the ship - filling the ship with the most people is the main goal. I did NOT ask for a price drop - we paid our money, accepted the price, and now we live with it - just like you do when you book a flight and they run a sale 2 weeks later. Not everyone on the plane has paid the same fare. But ALSO just like on a flight, if you can get a free upgrade to first or business class if it is available, you always ask at the gate (my boss who is a very frequent flyer on Delta does this all the time - every time). And why when you rent a car you ask if there is a free or low cost upgrade on the rental (in Hawaii we had booked Mustang convertibles, but got Camaro convertibles at no extra charge:)) And in Venice we had booked a cheaper room but when we checked in they had upgraded us to the next level - lovely surprises every one.

Well our TA asked, NCL offered a no extra charge balcony, and we sailed out in a balcony cabin for the 9 days - even our TA was a bit surprised!

So that is why you book a cheaper cabin (you are not rich) and why if you get a free upgrade you gladly take it (serendipity). I did not originally book expecting an upgrade and If I had asked and nothing was offered, well that would also have been fine - they don't owe me anything but what I originally paid for.

But there is a strategy to helping luck along and I have learned to ask during the last week when they may not be able to sell that more expensive cabin, but will gladly take my inside cabin and sell it to someone looking for a last minute bargain - again, the main goal is to sail as close to full as possible. Of the 5 times I have checked to see what's available, I have been upgraded 3 times -of the 2 where they came back and said no, well that is fine too. I have a great trip no matter what the outcome.

Thank you for your info! I agree 100% and I too am happy just to be on the cruise, but if the price drops significantly I will see what they can do. Nothing wrong with that. I feel like people just like to put their two cents in and antagonize others, even when it's really silly to do so. See above if you want an example.

One of the most important things we can learn as adults is that it doesn't hurt to ask - what are they going to say? No?? It is an automatic no if you don't ask;)

One of the most important things we can learn as adults is that it doesn't hurt to ask - what are they going to say? No?? It is an automatic no if you don't ask;)

Exactly! Now that we are on deck 9 we are pretty happy. But, as the day comes closer we are going to keep checking the website. If it still looks like they have outside rooms left we're going to see if they can give us an upgrade.

sent again... check your spam folder to make sure it didn't get dumped there.

Yeah, that was the first place I checked. No email there unless you are the one sending me emails about increasing my "size and stamina!" :eek:

Not sure why I'm not getting them at my Yahoo email. Try this: wrheck@tampabay.rr.com Guaranteed to work!

We sail 12 days from now. Others on this same sailing haven't gotten their assignments yet (roll call for our cruise date).
I'm on you sailing. I got my assignment sometime today while I was out. No upgrade (wasn't expecting one) but I'm happy with the location. Near the elevators and looks like it'll be quiet. Maybe some bow thruster noise when we arrive back in NYC. I'll be awake and out the other times the ship will use them.