Southern Caribbean

Serge, you could ask that Carnival-specific question on the Carnival board. But in my experience (on RCI) the price for a Caribbean February cruise did not ever go down over time - it went up and up. Makes sense, because as the winter wears on more people want to get out of the frozen north in February. As demand goes up the price goes up too.

But what I didn't realize until more recently is that it affects air and hotel arrangements too. I waited too long last winter, and by the time I looked into flights and hotel, there were no direct flights left, and the hotel I wanted was fully-booked.

Unless, of course, you're willing to wait for a last-minute deal. If you're really flexible about the cruise line, the ship, and the itinerary, you might get a last-minute bargain. Then you'd have to scramble for flights and hotel, but it might be worth it.

I got OBC when booking my next cruise while I was still on board the last one. Never got OBC otherwise.

Thanks for the responses.

I am looking an April '15 sailing from Puerto Rico. Wondering, should I book now, or wait for a bit to see what the price may do?

The only benefit I see of booking now, would be choice of staterooms.I do have a year to put this together so the more research I do the better.

I did the Celebrity Exotic Southern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale and LOVED it. Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

The one thing I will say is Bonaire is GREAT if you are a scuba diver but if you are not: there is not much if anything to do there. It has some of the BEST scuba in the world and is renowned for it.

Caribbean prices tend to go up not down. I booked for the state room I wanted and the price only escalated after I purchased. I was glad I got my state room.

Serge, you could ask that Carnival-specific question on the Carnival board.

Thanks wassup4565, I think I will post on the Carnival board and see. Looks like i'll be booking sooner then later!!

I've already got my airfare booked..hotels room for the night before is next.

I did the Celebrity Exotic Southern

The one thing I will say is Bonaire is GREAT if you are a scuba diver but if you are not: there is not much if anything to do there. It has some of the BEST scuba in the world and is renowned for it.

Caribbean prices tend to go up not down. I booked for the state room I wanted and the price only escalated after I purchased. I was glad I got my state room.

Clydesmom, we were very lucky to book with Achie (no r) tours in Bonaire. We do not scuba or even swim much, but this three-hour, very reasonably priced-tour opened up the island to us by road. We had a small vehicle of about 16 people, and one of the most informed guides I have ever experienced. Achie Tours trains all the other tour companies on the island, and as well they were appointed to show the Dutch Royals the island in the recent past. No free drinks, loud music and yada-yada. Just a great tour.

As for the prices, I can confirm this. The longer you wait, the higher the price. The only exception is between American thanksgiving and Xmas. If you can travel then, good bargoons.

• 2 weeks later...
After about a month of research, The Valor from Puerto Rico is looking pretty promising. 7 days 6 islands, if ya count P/R.

Did that cruise last year. Awesome time. Especially loved St. Maarten and St. Lucia. You will have a great time.

We booked flights out of Buffalo for $299 return for each of us.

A

If you only have 7 days, then starting in Puerto Rico is the way to go. The southern itineraries are our personal favorites! Aruba-Bonaire and Curacao......love them all!

I did Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao on RCI in March 2012, departing from Colon, Panama. One can also depart from Cartagena, Colombia on that itinerary. We flew in 2 days early just to do a ferry transit of the Panama Canal. So the Dutch Antilles are accessible from Panama as well. :)

LOVE the Southern Caribbean. We will be going on our 3rd Southern in March. We'll be going to St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, St. Maarten & St. Thomas. We've been to all of them except St. Maarten, but since our excursions in St. Lucia & Antigua were cancelled the last time we sailed this itinerary, it's almost like we'll be getting to see 3 new islands!

Our last Southern was on Adventure of the Seas and we stopped at Dominica, Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas. We got a misty rain for most of the day in Aruba, but that didn't stop our excursion (Tom Cars - so much fun). In Curacao, I think they got their total annual rainfall the day we were there. Our excursion was cancelled, but we did get to explore a little bit. We went in April and the islanders assured us that the rain was unusual, but be prepared just in case they were fibbing a little! :)

I noticed you're from Ohio. While Florida is starting to get warm in April, if you really want to kiss the long, cold winter goodbye quickly - start your cruise in Puerto Rico. The cruise may end up a little cheaper to make up for the increased cost of the airfare (I can't tell you if this is true or not as we use my husbands frequent flier miles to go for $5/person). You can also try and use Priceline to try and get a good rate on a hotel. San Juan is really not to be missed and you miss quite a bit if it's only a port stop on a cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear your plans for the Southern Caribbean didn't work out. Maybe you can do it some other time.

The Conquest is a beautiful ship. We sailed on her twice. The Western Caribbean has some very nice ports of call. We have done that itinerary several times to visit different Mayan Ruins.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Ok so I've taken my 1st cruise and now I'm addicted. I'm thinking of the Southern trips. Starting my research, so any advice, suggestions would be welcomed.

Looks like you sail Carnival. However, if you are looking for a great Southern Caribbean itinerary, try the Celebrity Eclipse. She does 14 night itineraries all winter.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. Guess you can forget my suggestion. :)

Edited by gimletgal

I may try other cruise lines. Have only gone on one, and it was Carnival. This 2nd one will give me a good comparison, and some thing to judge others. Price is always a concern. I work hard and long to put $ away for vacations. Edited by trumbull archer