Have You Ever Had A Private Portrait Sitting On Your Cruise?

JimAOk1945

I noticed that one of the "perks" of being in a full suite is have a private portrait sitting with one of the photographers.

I was just wondering whether anyone has done this and if so, were you happy with the results?

Also, when and how do I go about setting this up?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

We did it on the Star last year. You can just go to the photo desk to set it up. We got some really nice photos that were in Black and White.

Fair warning this is very expensive. I think the quality of the photos was worth it, but we spent several hundred dollars on this.

We did it on the Star last year. You can just go to the photo desk to set it up. We got some really nice photos that were in Black and White.

Fair warning this is very expensive. I think the quality of the photos was worth it, but we spent several hundred dollars on this.

This sounds more like the Platinum Studio than the perk for suite guests.

We had a private family portrait set up with the photographer with the background of our choice and a time set in advance. We wanted the white background. She took numerous shots and we had many great choices to pick from. We did order several sizes of the final picture but did not pay extra for the shooting that was as professional as any Ive ever encountered. My daughter just went to the photo gallery early in the cruise and told the desk what she wanted and they got back to her with a time. As far as I know, we weren't obligated to make any purchase.

We did it a couple years ago on the Crown for a New England cruise. We did the black background and did a lot of poses.

It was expensive especially if you wanted a JPG. I remember the photographer saying he was constrained by Princess to a certain formula of poses so it really was not that custom.

It was nice but I suspect you can do much better at home in a non-ship setting.

After all you know that Princess always gets a substantial cut first before the photographer gets anything.

We have never had a "private" photo session on any of our 22 Princess cruises, however most formal nights we have our photos taken as a couple and single (sometimes) at one of the 4-5 photo station set up in the atrium area, and some have been fantastic, especially the black and white ones. We have had white backgrounds as well as the other fake backgrounds.....some photographers are better than others of course. However, the prices have not been that high, but the quality is much better than JC Penney or wherever. And NO obligation to buy. You just find them in the photo area and if you like them, take them to the desk to pay. Or dump them in the recycle bin. There is no sitting fee if done this way. I imagine if you want to take a lot more poses or have a large number of people, you may have to opt for a private session, but we have not.

The OP's question suggests that without the "perk" there is a fee for this portrait sitting -- is this correct?

No, never a sitting fee.

The suite benefit means it can be done just for you without any rushing.

Otherwise you are in a line with a number of others and while they will not really rush you, they do need to get to the next person in line.

Edited by caribill

No, never a sitting fee.

Otherwise you are in a line with a number of others and while they will not really rush you, they do need to get to the next person in line.

Thanks for the clarification. I had read the flyer explaining the "perks" for suite guests which mentions the private sitting for portraits. While it doesn't specifically state that there is no fee, a private sitting sounds very appealing. It is difficult sometimes to get into a relaxed pose for pictures with an impatient line of passengers waiting their turn.

By the way, here is a link to the Suite flyer on the Princess website.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Thanks again to all for your responses to my questions!

No, never a sitting fee.

I see. So it is one of those "perks" in which the advertising may cause (an uninformed) passenger to think they are getting more value than they actually are. A little like some of the Celebrity "Concierge Class" perks we thought sounded so valuable on our first cruise, but found out that some at least were relatively easily accessed by all pax, and at no additional cost.... Live and learn.

• 1 month later...
I noticed that one of the "perks" of being in a full suite is have a private portrait sitting with one of the photographers.

I was just wondering whether anyone has done this and if so, were you happy with the results?

Also, when and how do I go about setting this up?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

We've never had a suite and gotten the perk. But we did get married with Princess and they gave us their top photographer. We took her around in a limo to the wedding sight and she stayed with us for 5 hours! She did such an amazing job that my Mom bought the rights (negatives on disc) for ALL the photos she took. We were very happy with the photographer.