Celebrity better $ than HAl

spendalot

Hello

DH and I are planning a Hawaii cruise for April of next year. We have sailed HAl before to Mexico and Mercury to Mexico. Enjoyed both but gave a slight advantage to HAL food.

We need advise on choosing the Summit departing the same week or HAL's Amsterdam. Same class room is $2000.00 less on Summitt. Iteniery looks like Summitt is in port longer, this is a plus. but the differnce is passenger capacity maybe one of the reasons. Any comments on which crusie you would choose?

Grateful

One pair of my Aunts & Uncles loves HAL, as do my in-laws. My mom & I adore Celebrity. Based on what we tell each other, we've each been dying to try the other's favorite. I say with that big a savings, you should go for the trip on the Summit.

I think the next trip I book will finally be on HAL. I've been wanting to try one of their ships for years, but did Horizon this year since she's going away, and have already booked Zenith for next year since we have been wanting to go to Bermuda and wanted to do it on a smaller ship. So I guess it's HAL in 2007 for me. Unless I can squeeze in an extra cruise in 2006 ;-)

Hi:)

I have only been on HAL once and will be on the Summit in October.

In my opinion, all my X cruises beat the food on HAL hands down. I know you will get varied opinions about your question but I can only give mine from my

experience.

I will be glad to let you know about SUMMIT upon my return.:)

You save $2000.00 on the Summit (same class room?). That would pay for all of your shore excursions including a Helicopter ride. Go on the Summit and use the extra money in Hawaii. Enjoy your trip whichever you decide.

I saved $1000.00 over Princess. I like Princess but that $1000.00 will pay for all of my shore ex. The Pink Lady (Royal Hawaiian Lulu is $81.00 per person, A helo trip is close to $200.00. Most shore ex are around $100.00. Tips on board will come to $140.00 for me (I travel solo).

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but with a 2,000 buck difference for like accomodations this is really a no brainer (mainly because 2K is a big deal to me). I am assuming the itinerary is quite similar.

IMO, and I have sailed both lines, the difference in food and service does not warrant the 2k difference. The space ratio is insignificant (44.72 for Summit, 44.20 for Amsterdam). The difference in food and service is extremely argumentative . . . . I think Celebrity has the edge.

The bottom line to me would be the 2K difference in price, and as Capt Data says that will pay for a hell of a lot of excursions.

But the bottom line is, of course, you. You have to decide what is the best.

My choice, given these circumstances, would absolutely be the Summit.

Just to give another opinion, I would have to agree with those who say 2K is a lot of money. I am a HAL fan, hands down, but just did my first cruise on the Infinity this month and really liked Celebrity. With that kind of money difference I would probably go with Celebrity again over HAL, even though I did like the food and service better on HAL. I didn't have any complaints about my Celebrity cruise, just like the person feeling of HAL better. Tough decision, I just wish it was me making it, means I would be cruising sooner. :-)

$2000 is a lot of bread: I would choose Celebrity even though you love HAL. No matter what line we are loyal to and we all have one: most of the mass marketed lines are very similar; yes, each has it's own nitch, but we have cruised all but Princess and have found almost no difference. This one has better entertainment, this one has a little better service, but this one is friendlier and this one has better food but not as good buffets. To us price and itinerary are the two considerations for us. NMNita

As we're fond of saying in the military nowadays the BLUF (bottom line up front) is that we don't see a lot of difference between HAL and Celebrity. I guess we'd qualify as HAL loyalist but only in the sense that we got started with HAL years ago and stayed with what we what we knew the best. Did do a Celebrity cruise this past March and loved it. HAL does better with decor and overall cabins while Celebrity did service and food better. Going back to HAL this coming year but only because of cost and itinerary.

Here's a thought, you can upgrade to a nicer cabin if you stick with X. I think Hal and X put out a similar product, but the bottom line is I choose which line will give me the itinerary and price I want. I have been spoiled by verandahs and suites, tho, so I try to aim for them. So, I'd upgrade a little, and use the rest for excursions!

we sailed HAL once and X 3 times. WHile both are good, the $2000 makes this a no brainer to me. I also concur with docjohns comments. Actually, until our last cruise on the Connie, I might have given the edge to the food on HAL, but now I thnk Celebrity is better.

No disagreement with what everyone else has posted, but I'll add that Summit is a newer ship than both Amsterdam and Mercury and has both more space and amenities without crossing into the mega-gigantic class of ships. Some people prefer smaller ships, certainly, but it's something to consider when using Mercury as a comparison. Many people would find Summit to be an upgrade from Mercury. (commence flamewar!)

I can't imagine anyone would prefer Amsterdam to Summit by $2,000. I think that both HAL and Celebrity do a great job with food.

Archived