Formal night dress code on Celebrity

Open sea

Could someone who has taken a Celebrity cruise recently advise dress code on formal night? Did you note guys without coats - maybe just shirt and tie?

I do not like the sport coat part of formal night yet enjoy the MDR.

Could someone who has taken a Celebrity cruise recently advise dress code on formal night? Did you note guys without coats - maybe just shirt and tie?

You may be the only one without some sort of jacket....there will be some blazers/etc though. On some ships they will let you in, on others, they won't....irrespective of what folks tell you here. Since you know the rules in advance, why not try to follow them?

Edited by ghstudio

No jacket required in the speciality venues or Oceanview buffet on formal evenings. 2 evenings during the sailing to enjoy other options.

On our March/April 2014 B2B on the Summit, there was a guy at the table next to us and he DID NOT wear a jacket on any formal evenings. FYI...he wore tie, shirt and dockers on all formal evenings.

Edited by davekathy

Approximately 99% of the passengers abide by the dress codes. Men wear jackets on formal nights. There are always one or two who don't. Figuring that there are over a thousand men on each cruise, and probably a third of them eat in one of the alternative locations, in the MDR you might see one or two without a jacket. Most will be in something even more dressed up than a sport coat: a suit, a dark blazer, a tuxedo, or a white dinner jacket. Or even a kilt

This is what I posted on another one of these dress code threads after our March cruise:

Prior to our March 8th cruise on the Reflection, I got involved in one of these passionate discussions on these boards around the dress code. I stated that I would be going to formal night in one of my professional dresses that I enhance with jewellery etc. I also said that my husband would be going in grey pants, a navy sport jacket, dress shirt and a tie. I was criticized by many on these boards and told to go to an alternate venue for dinner as professional dress is different than formal dress.

Prior to dinner on the first formal night while having a glass of wine at Cellar Masters, Rachel (who was helping to host the Captain's table), came over to me to tell me how lovely my dress looked ... my professional dress!!! The same thing happened the 2nd formal night ... the night I wore my simple black dress. As for my husband, his attire was more than appropriate. In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary. A sport jacket with a polo shirt or casual shirt underneath are appropriate for the formal night.

Thank goodness I did not listen to the negativity and criticism on here and instead I used my own good judgement which appears to be supported by Celebrity.

I hate the dress code discussion, but when you join a cruise, you accept celebrity's codes. There are always people who believe that they are "special"....that they can reserve two deck chairs, one in the shade, one in the sun all day; there are those that decide they can wear whatever they want anywhere, after all they paid for the cruise; there are those that don't get in line for tender tickets or anywhere else; there are those that will crowd into an elevator in front of someone in a wheel chair.

Note: I am commenting in general..I know that some post here because they really don't know as I think the OP did in this thread.

Every time someone asks a question about whether they have to follow the dress code or the deck chair code or the bringing liquor on board code, I wonder what happened to "us" vs "me"....and I wonder why folks think that they don't need to follow the "rules".

I'm sure some/many will find this post offensive..but if the shoe fits....

I hate wearing a jacket to dinner...it's one of the reasons we book aqua class. I hate to fight for a deck chair...we get a balcony (aqua again). I don't like having to look for a table in the buffet because folks are just sitting there playing cards or reading....we don't eat lunch in the buffet. You just have to work with the rules and you have a nice cruise and you don't offend or annoy anyone else.

Think "we" not "me"...it really works.

Edited by ghstudio

This is what I posted on another one of these dress code threads after our March cruise:

Prior to our March 8th cruise on the Reflection, I got involved in one of these passionate discussions on these boards around the dress code. I stated that I would be going to formal night in one of my professional dresses that I enhance with jewellery etc. I also said that my husband would be going in grey pants, a navy sport jacket, dress shirt and a tie. I was criticized by many on these boards and told to go to an alternate venue for dinner as professional dress is different than formal dress.

Prior to dinner on the first formal night while having a glass of wine at Cellar Masters, Rachel (who was helping to host the Captain's table), came over to me to tell me how lovely my dress looked ... my professional dress!!! The same thing happened the 2nd formal night ... the night I wore my simple black dress. As for my husband, his attire was more than appropriate. In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary. A sport jacket with a polo shirt or casual shirt underneath are appropriate for the formal night.

Thank goodness I did not listen to the negativity and criticism on here and instead I used my own good judgement which appears to be supported by Celebrity.

Your clothing was fine. As far as what the "officer" said, I find that surprising.

People should be able to read what Celebrity says and then if they decide to do their own thing they can deal with it themselves. As a previous poster said, almost everyone wears appropriate clothing and those who don't stand out. Isn't it that way with most things in life? There are always a few.

I hate the dress code discussion, but when you join a cruise, you accept celebrity's codes. There are always people who believe that they are "special"....that they can reserve two deck chairs, one in the shade, one in the sun all day; there are those that decide they can wear whatever they want anywhere, after all they paid for the cruise; there are those that don't get in line for tender tickets or anywhere else; there are those that will crowd into an elevator in front of someone in a wheel chair.

Note: I am commenting in general..I know that some post here because they really don't know as I think the OP did in this thread.

Every time someone asks a question about whether they have to follow the dress code or the deck chair code or the bringing liquor on board code, I wonder what happened to "us" vs "me"....and I wonder why folks think that they don't need to follow the "rules".

I'm sure some/many will find this post offensive..but if the shoe fits....

I hate wearing a jacket to dinner...it's one of the reasons we book aqua class. I hate to fight for a deck chair...we get a balcony (aqua again). I don't like having to look for a table in the buffet because folks are just sitting there playing cards or reading....we don't eat lunch in the buffet. You just have to work with the rules and you have a nice cruise and you don't offend or annoy anyone else.

Think "we" not "me"...it really works.

It seems that you don't "hate the dress code discussion". I suspect you enjoy stating your opinion on this subject often.

It seems that you don't "hate the dress code discussion". I suspect you enjoy stating your opinion on this subject often.

actually no...not on the dress code issue...but yes on the "me/I'm special" issue.

My most recent cruise was on the Summit's March 22 sailing. We had Select Dining in the upper level of the MDR. At least 20% of the men were without a jacket or a tie. One of these men was a member of the group I was traveling with. No one ever said a word to him about it. He didn't look out of place or feel out of place. There were very few tuxes anywhere on the formal nights, the fewest I've ever seen.

In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary.

Yay - hairy chest contests on formal night in the MDR!!!

In reality GHStudio is a regular poster on this board and gives very valuable information to many people on all subjects. I hate the dress code discussions also but many of us feel that people should be given the correct answers when they come on this board to discuss something or to ask a question.

*sigh* I genuinely hate this discussion. HATE. I'm so over the "no one said anything so I can do whatever I want" attitude. No one said anything because the didn't want to embarrass you or those you were with. The dress code is well defined and written in black and white. Follow it! If you do not want to, then take advantage of other options available to you. On the rare occasion I see others in the dining room that do not follow the stated dress code, I feel really bad for them. Because the either have very poor reading comprehension skills, or they are so entitled that life is going to smack them very hard in the face one day.

(True story - I saw a guests turned away at dinner for dress code on formal night. Turns out they didn't speak English. Sure enough, someone comes to talk to them in their language and they leave. 20 minutes later, they come back in appropriate attire. All ended well)

Edited by Classynfun1

*sigh* I genuinely hate this discussion. HATE. I'm so over the "no one said anything so I can do whatever I want" attitude. No one said anything because the didn't want to embarrass you or those you were with. The dress code is well defined and written in black and white. Follow it! If you do not want to, then take advantage of other options available to you. On the rare occasion I see others in the dining room that do not follow the stated dress code, I feel really bad for them. Because the either have very poor reading comprehension skills, or they are so entitled that life is going to smack them very hard in the face one day.

So this would apply to some one on formal night, wearing a very nice sport coat, classy tie, nice pants and and great shoes?

You are opening Pandora's box. This issue has been discussed multiple times and some people really get passionate about what they believe to be correct attire.

Having sailed on Celebrity multiple times, you should wear a jacket and tie the two formal nights. The mood on the ship is festive and join the party. The jacket is required in the main diningroom and most people in all other venues dress the same.

Some people do change into less formal attire, later in the evening. Enjoy your cruise.

This topic has been discussed too much. If you hate formal night, do not go. Most guys wear suits or sport jackets. Some still wear tuxedos. I have also seem guys in shirts with/without ties. On my last 14 night cruise, there were 3 formal nights. The first was dressy. The second was less dressy. The third was casual. By the 3rd night, most guys did not even wear a tie. It was fine. Wear whatever suits you. (No pun intended.) Dress up if you like. Be less dressy if that is you desire. I really do not care. Please do not stress over what to wear. Just keep it clean. A guy in an old smelly tuxedo may look nice. However, the smell of moth balls is not pleasant.

This topic has been discussed too much. If you hate formal night, do not go. Most guys wear suits or sport jackets. Some still wear tuxedos. I have also seem guys in shirts with/without ties. On my last 14 night cruise, there were 3 formal nights. The first was dressy. The second was less dressy. The third was casual. By the 3rd night, most guys did not even wear a tie. It was fine. Wear whatever suits you. (No pun intended.) Dress up if you like. Be less dressy if that is you desire. I really do not care. Please do not stress over what to wear. Just keep it clean. A guy in an old smelly tuxedo may look nice. However, the smell of moth balls is not pleasant.

According to ClassynFun1 (post 17), these people are:

"On the rare occasion I see others in the dining room that do not follow the stated dress code, I feel really bad for them. Because the either have very poor reading comprehension skills, or they are so entitled that life is going to smack them very hard in the face one day."

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse in a weeks time. On every other cruise I've been on formal night means dinner jacket and black tie. If I turn up for Dinner in a dinner jacket am I going to stand out like a sore thumb?

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse in a weeks time. On every other cruise I've been on formal night means dinner jacket and black tie. If I turn up for Dinner in a dinner jacket am I going to stand out like a sore thumb?

No, I'm sure you'll look great.

No, I'm sure you'll look great.

Thanks for that, we usually cruise on Fred Olsen Braaemar where dress codes are strictly adhered to. Guests not correctly attired are turned away from the main dining rooms.