You're going to think my hubby is a....shall I say hog?

Emme

Embarassing question here but I'm going to ask anyway. My husband is a serious seafood lover, especially lobster. We were so excited to cruise last year (Carnival) because people told us that you can get what you want to eat and as much as you want to eat on your cruise. My husband really was interested in ordering several lobsters on the night lobster was on the menu. The night finally came and he finished his first lobster, (they were very small for some reason) and he politely asked our waiter for a second lobster. Our waiter responded with "I can only get you one more lobster, anymore and I could get fired". He also kind of whispered his response to my dh making it feel like he was doing something he shouldn't be.

My husband felt like a jerk, he really thought it was okay to ask the waiter for more if he wanted it. He did get the second one and that was the only time they served lobster on the ship.

Now we are cruising with Celebrity, I will admit that I called them and actually asked them about their policy regarding seconds when it came to lobster.

She told me that Celebrity prides themselves on making sure that the passengers are happy, if they want a second or third or fourth lobster, then that's what they'll get.

I'm, not sure if she was saying what I wanted to hear or that is something they really do for the passenger.

Can any past Celebrity guest tell me their experience with ordering seconds?

Thank you very much.

We love lobster also. On Celebrity if you mention it to the waiter when you order, they will bring you an extra order. We usually get a second plate to split. That is about the limit of our appetite.

We have also seen the waiters bring an additional course for passengers that have trouble making up their mind.

Enjoy!

Charlie

My experience on Celebrity has been you can order as many "meals" as you want. Seems they make the plates up all alike, so you would get the whole plate of lobster, veggies, etc. I don't know if they can just grab an extra tail or not. But you definitely can have more than one of anything! I ALWAYS order double shrimp cocktails & double escargot!

On one of our Summit cruises, we had a couple sitting at our table and He ate 6 Lobsters, and his wife ate 4.

The waiter did not mind, and enjoyed seeing them enjoying the Lobsters !

Happy Sailing !

We were on one Celebrity cruise where the waiter after bringing a couple of extra lobster dinners came back with a plate of just 3 or 4 lobster tails (no veggies). This was without us even asking. He would also bring us our dessert and one of everything that wasn't ordered and a whole lot of spoons again without us requesting it. Needless to say- he was tipped very well and we made sure to write good things about him on our comment cards.

I've never had a problem getting as much as I wanted of anything on a Celebrity cruise. Like Rosie mentioned they usually bring an entire meal, but just eat the part you want off it. The waiters seem to like bringing extras and doing anything they can to make you happy.

Terri

That's Carnival for you. Finding ways to cut costs.

The only thing to keep in mind if you have second seating, they could run out. It's only happened once to me on all my cruises, as I like to order surf and turf. They usually bring out the prime rib and after I finish the beef out comes the lobster. 3 or 4 cruises ago the waiter came out with his tail between his legs as they had run out. It's the only time it ever happened. I've never had a problem

When I cruised with my nephews, all late teens early twenties, the waiter just kept bringing plates of lobster! Afew tables seemed to be having a contest as to how many they could eat. :o Also my husband is a big guy and usually orders two appetizers, our last waiter on the Mercury always offered him more main dishes when he cleaned his plate!

When we were on the Summit this past March, we were at a table next to a family who, I'll try and be polite here, weighed an average of 300lb, with a couple of them probably tipping the scales at over 400. The waiter really earned his money with that group because each of them had at least two of EVERYTHING on the menu. On some nights the father had three of each entree and two of everything else. They also asked for huge bowls of shrimp at every dinner (I saw one of the women eat at least 30 shrimp at one meal and had three additional entrees) and the bar waiter had their table set with four drinks at every place, and small bowls of marichino cherries.

Once we were sailing on NCL, and the first seating was completly taken over by a group from Taiwan. They ordered tons of food and by the time our second seating came around, the kitchen was out of some of the menu items. We never got lobster or chateaubriand on the entire cruise because they ate it all.

Don't worry about ordering a second or third portion---the waiters seem so happy when you order more. Actually our X waiters seem a little disappointed when you don't order one extra thing at least once on the cruise.

I think that this has already been mentioned in a responding post, so perhaps I am just reinforcing an earlier point:

Fulfilling the extra lobster tail(s) request is alot easier on the waiter if the request is made up front while ordering your entrees.

AM surprised to hear this about Carnival as we never had a problem on the Triumph and LEgend (and this was a 2 night cruise to nowhere and they served Lobster, so if they were looking to cut costs they could be like Cunard and RCCL and not offer lobster on 5 night cruises).

On Celebrity, the tails are big and I oder three at a time or two and filet of beef. They won't bat a eyelash and are used to these requests. You have paid for this and all the food on board must be eaten, so enjoy!

When we were on the Summit this past March, we were at a table next to a family who, I'll try and be polite here, weighed an average of 300lb, with a couple of them probably tipping the scales at over 400. The waiter really earned his money with that group because each of them had at least two of EVERYTHING on the menu. On some nights the father had three of each entree and two of everything else. They also asked for huge bowls of shrimp at every dinner (I saw one of the women eat at least 30 shrimp at one meal and had three additional entrees) and the bar waiter had their table set with four drinks at every place, and small bowls of marichino cherries.

Once we were sailing on NCL, and the first seating was completly taken over by a group from Taiwan. They ordered tons of food and by the time our second seating came around, the kitchen was out of some of the menu items. We never got lobster or chateaubriand on the entire cruise because they ate it all.

Don't worry about ordering a second or third portion---the waiters seem so happy when you order more. Actually our X waiters seem a little disappointed when you don't order one extra thing at least once on the cruise.

Gee, after watching thaT TABLE EAT ALL OF THAT FOOD and even counting the shrimp, how in the world did you find the time to eat your own dinner?:D

Phil

She told me that Celebrity prides themselves on making sure that the passengers are happy, if they want a second or third or fourth lobster, then that's what they'll get.

On the Summit one night a tablemate (fellow was from Chicago) asked for one of each entre. He ate the first one, then took one bite from each of the other three or four and pushed them aside.

Seemed wasteful, but Celebrity made sure he was happy.

Gee, after watching thaT TABLE EAT ALL OF THAT FOOD and even counting the shrimp, how in the world did you find the time to eat your own dinner?:D

Phil

Thank you Phil!

As a large lady myself I hope that people can refrain from watching what I eat! On my only other cruise on RCCL one night I could not decide between lobster and beef wellington, the waiter was kind enough to offer to bring both, I felt a little piggy at the time but I had never had beef wellington and really wanted to try it.

My husband and I are not large people (I am 127 lbs. and he is 160 lbs) but we also love lobster and beef wellington. So we each order a lobster and he orders a beef wellington and we split it. He also loves frog legs, and on our last cruise he had 5 orders of them. And we had the best waiter, each night he would bring us one of every dessert to try. He favorite saying was " Try it, you like it" We tipped he very well for the extra attention. Hope to get as good as waiter as him on the Galaxy in October.

I am not a lobster eater myself, but if you love them, go for it. On one of our last cruises, the night before lobster night our very professional (and wonderful) waiter asked up front who was going to want extra lobster tails so he could make sure the kitchen set them aside for us. The next night, after everyone had been served, he came back with a huge platter of extra tails for those who wanted them. Needless to say, he was well tipped by everybody!

Just as an aside, we also had an incredible assistant maitre d' that cruise. We were on Mercury and had one of the aft family cabins. Well, on Mercury, they are not a balcony cabin, but rather look out onto a passenger area with loungers, etc. We had made a joke at dinner one night about the people who kept trying to look into our cabin from outside (really!--one lady pressed her face right up against the window while I was sitting on the couch reading, about 6 inches from her face). The next day our friends from dinner put a note on our window visible only from the inside that said "Peekaboo! We see you". On our final night at sea, with the connivance of our maitre d', they were presented with a large cake decorated with 2 big eyes done in frosting and the words "Peekaboo. We saw you too". Everyone had a great laugh. That was one of my favorite cruises of all time.

Linda

On our Summit cruise, our assistant maitre d' arranged all sorts of special meals for our table on request. Every nite our waiter brought out several escargot appetizers (requested in advance). Also, double shrimp cocktails, prime rib and lobster. Basically, anything that was requested to the assistant maitre d' in advance could be served by our waitstaff. Wonderful staff and service!

...on a side note... being from New England, I have to agree with dedlaw that the lobster are not what you would expect if you are used to NE lobster. However, I found the rest of the seafood consistently good.

On our Summit cruise, our assistant maitre d' arranged all sorts of special meals for our table on request. Every nite our waiter brought out several escargot appetizers (requested in advance). Also, double shrimp cocktails, prime rib and lobster. Basically, anything that was requested to the assistant maitre d' in advance could be served by our waitstaff. Wonderful staff and service!

...on a side note... being from New England, I have to agree with dedlaw that the lobster are not what you would expect if you are used to NE lobster. However, I found the rest of the seafood consistently good.

Boy did you ever say a mouth full (pardon the pun) nothing beats NE lobster

Phil

Embarassing question here but I'm going to ask anyway. My husband is a serious seafood lover, especially lobster. We were so excited to cruise last year (Carnival) because people told us that you can get what you want to eat and as much as you want to eat on your cruise. My husband really was interested in ordering several lobsters on the night lobster was on the menu. The night finally came and he finished his first lobster, (they were very small for some reason) and he politely asked our waiter for a second lobster. Our waiter responded with "I can only get you one more lobster, anymore and I could get fired". He also kind of whispered his response to my dh making it feel like he was doing something he shouldn't be.

My husband felt like a jerk, he really thought it was okay to ask the waiter for more if he wanted it. He did get the second one and that was the only time they served lobster on the ship.

Now we are cruising with Celebrity, I will admit that I called them and actually asked them about their policy regarding seconds when it came to lobster.

I'm, not sure if she was saying what I wanted to hear or that is something they really do for the passenger.

Can any past Celebrity guest tell me their experience with ordering seconds?

Thank you very much.

I STARTED WITH A FULL LOBSTER MEAL WIT AN EXTRA ON SIDE & THEN ASKED FOR ANOTHER LATER BECAUSE THEY WERE SMALL. They were nice about it.

It was easy to count the shrimp because you know how many pieces you get in one cocktail, you just multiplied it by the number of bowls brought out.

The reason we were able to watch is because we had the same waiter as they did, and since he had to do so much running back and forth to the kitchen for just that table, we had lots of time in between to just sit and watch others. Our great waiter worked his tail off for those 2 weeks, and he was wonderful to everyone. Even though the service "suffered" a little because he was so consumed with that one table, every one of his other tables were very patient and didn't mind waiting a few minutes for their food every night. BTW, he got a very nice tip from us.

I STARTED WITH A FULL LOBSTER MEAL WIT AN EXTRA ON SIDE & THEN ASKED FOR ANOTHER LATER BECAUSE THEY WERE SMALL. They were nice about it.

On Royal Caribbean it was never a problem - on several cruises the waiter brought thirds and 4ths and on one cruise he brought a platter for the table.

One waiter did suggest we place multiple orders early so he could get them on the first trip and he could keep them warm - same for Shrimp

On our first night at dinner on the Mercury, the headwaiter(Darius) & Maitre'D(Sergio) said "If you are not happy with anything please tell us and we will get you something else or if you like we will be more than happy to bring you seconds of anything". Of course, we took him up on it! Sometimes he brought a full second meal(veggies, potato, etc.) sometimes he just brought the main meal(steak. chicken, fish, etc.). As said above, the lobster wasn't the best I ever had, nevertheless, enjoyable!

Hey Darcie, don't let Phil give you a hard time about watching that table:D ;)

Phil, we got extra food on Mercury if you recall:)

Phil asked for Calamari as an appetizier....after the first night I think they

brought us an extra plate every evening!!!

And if you have the right waiter who enjoys a joke...we played one of our

tablemates (we were all friends so it was ok). By the end of the week we

were like a family of 6. And one of our friends didn't like mushrooms. But

Phil got the waiter to play along and brought her a plate of them for an

appetizier......if you could have seen her face when he lifted that cover

off the plate...it was PRICELESS!!!!

Phil, remember that?:D

Archived