You're going to think my hubby is a....shall I say hog?

Emme

Susan and I have the opposite problem. We are not big eaters, especially Susan. And we often don't finish our main dishes. Especially since we really enjoy the soups and appetizers. The waiters are always so unhappy with us. A couple times we'll order maybe 3 courses, and you should see the looks we get!! Actually, we've had some wonderful waiters but the first couple of nights it's "can I get you something else?" "Please, I'm sorry, what else would you like?" By half-way into the cruise, they have it figured out.

-

On the other hand, we really like our wine, and often bring some bottles with us. My pet peeve is being ignored by the wine steward(ess) on my first night. Three times I've had to get the MD's attention on this issue. We cruise often enough with them, you'd think they'd have us down in their black (or maybe burgundy) books!

-

We've cruised with Dedlaw, and while it eats my craw, I have to go with him on this one. There is so much wonderful food that the lobster usually disappoints. I still get 2!! Jeff

Oddly enough, I don't like lobster that much. I grew up in New England so we had it often enough, and I just never got into it. So one of you can have my extra lobster on lobster night :-)

Small: because they are Caribbean lobsters, but they are tasty!

Qty? OK, I am a hog! But then again, so was everyone else this past cruise!

I got through 3, my wife, 2 , our friends...2 each.

It was Celebrity Cruise Lines, not Carnivor! Maybe that was the difference, on Celebrity, you are treated famously!

Feel free to order more lobster if you want it. On the Mill. we sat near a table of two rather huge people who ordered 2 or 3 of everything each night. They even brought a liter of soda with them and tried to hide it under the table. They did this each evening. My DH told the waiter I enjoyed smoked salmon and each evening he had a huge plate for me.

I do not eat a lot at meals and the waiter would always ask me if I did not enjoy the meal and would I like something else. They were really disappointed if you do not eat your whole entree. I have seen this happen on most of my RC and Celebrity cruises. So, enjoy!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

M & R

A friend of mine had six lobster tails on a Holland America cruise. It caused him to get gout in his feet. His feet were so swollen, at disembarktion, they had to take him off the ship in wheel chair. Everytime the topics of cruising or eating seafood comes up, he gets teased.

All of the waiters we've had on Celebrity got a big kick out of bringing seconds of anything to the table. One waiter overheard my DH trying to decide between two entrees, and without a word, brought both entrees out for his dinner. I've had the same thing happen with desserts. We even had one waiter who brought out one of each dessert every night, which he placed in the center of our table, and walked away with an evil little giggle.

There's no reason to feel the least bit shy about asking for seconds on Celebrity.

Phew! And here I thought, reading the title of this thread, she was going to admit that her husband saved deck chairs! :eek: :D

The only caveat to all the support you're recieving here is to be sensitive to your table mates. I usually order three or four courses, but not everyone does. If your husband pre-orders the extra food (that is, he lets the waiter know when he first orders) the waiter can then "control" the flow of food so that your tablemates aren't sitting there waiting forever to order dessert as he finnishes his entrees. That said, the waiters are usually very good at helping with the timing of your meal, so your husband should be able to enjoy as much lobster as he likes.:)

Phew! And here I thought, reading the title of this thread, she was going to admit that her husband saved deck chairs! :eek: :D

The only caveat to all the support you're recieving here is to be sensitive to your table mates. I usually order three or four courses, but not everyone does. If your husband pre-orders the extra food (that is, he lets the waiter know when he first orders) the waiter can then "control" the flow of food so that your tablemates aren't sitting there waiting forever to order dessert as he finnishes his entrees. That said, the waiters are usually very good at helping with the timing of your meal, so your husband should be able to enjoy as much lobster as he likes.:)

What, you have 3 or 4 main courses? What do you do, bring Hubble on your cruises?:D

Phil

On our last cruise June 2 Century to Baltics the food was all great and plentiful.You can order shrimp coctail every day.If you like escargot you can have it every day as well,but you need to tell the Asst MaitreD the evening

before and they will order it.We had a very nice surprise as well.On the last Semi formal day our waitress informed us that the chef had been able to purchase King Crab Legs so she put in for double order for the both of us.My Dh had 2 1/2 lobster tails as I could not finish my seconds.

We love Celebrity

What, you have 3 or 4 main courses?
Sure do, Phil, and then I ask for a doggy bag. ;)

And, please, if we cruise together, don't make fun of my "son" with the short legs, big nose, and hair problem- he's very sensitive, and the other children can be so mean!! :mad:

But at least by keeping him in diapers, and a kid's blazer, I don't have to sneak him out on deck for walks! Although I got quite the tongue-lashing from someone when I tried to let him in the pool with his diaper on!:eek:

My last X cruise we asked for a second lobster and were told they were out. Funny though....they were served on the gala midnight buffet that evening.
I believe the prep time for the gala is 3 days. Starting with the "decor" items that will not be eaten like the breads in the shape of a ship.

The lobster trays were probably done and in a cooler that afternoon.

Charlie

Carnival gives you as many lobsters as you want--on our last cruise (May) my husband had 4 and our waiter still asked if he wanted more,

And by the way---food is much better on Carnival too.

I agree that it is very doubtful that Carnival would order too few lobsters in order to cut cost. It does happen occasionally that a food item will run out.

There was a thread some time ago about a cruise that included a large group from (I think) Japan. They all had early seating. The report was that on many nights some of the entrees were not available to all of the second seating because of multiple entree orders during the first seating. One time occurance, but it can happen.

As far as food quality, we have been on NCL, Princess, RCCL, and X. X has always had great quality. We have not been on Carnival so really cannot compare.

iluvdoxies - When was your last Celebrity cruise that you are basing your comparison on?

Charlie

What, you have 3 or 4 main courses? What do you do, bring Hubble on your cruises?:D

Phil

At first I thought the same thing -3/4 main courses and was going to post how I always order 4/5 desserts, then realized I am the real hog on this forum.

Sure do, Phil, and then I ask for a doggy bag. ;)

I should have read all the threads - so I am not a hog ordering 4/5 desserts! If I cannot decide on a main course ahve been known to order 2/3. I just pick. This does not work when my depression raised mother is with me as she gts upset about the "terrible waste" and does not stop (meanwhile she is grabbing at my desserts).

We have paid for this and don't the unused fresh food provision have to thrown out if not consumed?

Jeanne, Hate to be the one to give out "secrets of the kitchen" but, unless the food has been plated and served, the chefs can be "very creative" in reusing food. Vegetables and meats become sauces and soups for later. :rolleyes:

Sorry I couldn't make you feel that your ordering more was actually being less wasteful, but you are on vacation, so have an extra dessert on me!:D If nothing else, asking for more always seems to make the waiters happy! So maybe you are being selfless after all!

Sorry I couldn't make you feel that your ordering more was actually being less wasteful, but you are on vacation, so have an extra dessert on me!:D If nothing else, asking for more always seems to make the waiters happy! So maybe you are being selfless after all!

Andrew, that is almost good enough to qualify you as the footnote speaker for "The Fine Art of Rationalization" tour!

:D

Susan

I had understood from some of the crew members that at least some of the unplated foods from the dining room and buffet go to the crew mess.

Never been invited there (kind of like the opposite of the Captain's Table :D ) so I can't tell first hand. But, it does make sense.

Charlie

For those of you with inquiring minds----

I have cruised on many toher lines as well--NCL, Princess.

Since the OP was asking about Celebrity I jumped to the conclusion that you were comparing Carnival to X.

From your sig line it appears that you have cruised exclusively on Carnival for the past 5 years. So your statement seems to be based on cruises from 6 or more years ago.

It's not a matter of "inquiring minds" but pointing out that your particular statement "the food is better on Carnival" may not be based on actual experience.

I understand from DD and her family that the food on Carnival is great. Carnival is their line of choice.

Charlie

Archived