You're going to think my hubby is a....shall I say hog?

Emme

Can any past Celebrity guest tell me their experience with ordering seconds?

Thank you very much.

We did not have lobster any night on the cruise I just took, but they did serve steak a couple of nights, (I mention it because it's a little more expensive than chicken), and someone at our table asked for 2 steaks and got it without a raised eyebrow of any kind!

Most of the nights, the same people ordered two desserts and again, not once did the waiters even make a comment or make anyone feel bad about it.

Felicia

We did not have lobster any night on the cruise I just took, but they did serve steak a couple of nights, (I mention it because it's a little more expensive than chicken), and someone at our table asked for 2 steaks and got it without a raised eyebrow of any kind!

Most of the nights, the same people ordered two desserts and again, not once did the waiters even make a comment or make anyone feel bad about it.

Felicia

If you were on a 3 or 4 nighter then lobster is not usually served as I understand. Our first cruise was a 4 night and we decided after that 7 was our minimum :D

We normally order an extra lobster to split or one for each of us depending on the appetite that evening. Never have had a problem on any cruise line including Celebrity

The waiters depend heavily on your tips. They are going to do everything that they can to make sure you are happy.

Charlie

I am a fairly good good size guy and I do like to eat, but by the time in the cruise that the lobster night shows up, I actually am really not looking forward to dinner at all. The meals that are served to us each night are sooooo great, by lobster night I am into my larger size pants already.

People, you are forgetting that the waiters are waiting tables on a cruise ship to earn the big tips. The food cost does not come out of their pocket. Sure they will bring you extra lobster tails because it means a bigger tip in the end. The same with ordering extra entrees or extra desserts. I hate to inform you that they talk about you behind your back while they fill your order for the extras you've ordered. You think your waiter is more than happy to fill your order for the extras. Think again.

:) Brigitte, If they are happy in anticpation of bigger tips or happy because I'm happy, I'm not that worried about the distiction. I'm there for their "good service" not to worry about their behavior behind the scenes. But I do know waiters who strive to provide excellent service BOTH for the satisfaction of a job well done and for the pay. In addition, a happy motivated employee might also see this "extra service" (the getting of additonal steaks/lobsters, etc.) that he or she is required to perform as good p.r. with his her boss for a promotion. That is actually what makes a great employee in any field. Do employees gossip about passengers behind their backs? Undoubtedly- they aren't after all, saints, but unless your requests are truly out of line, it shouldn't cause much comment. And if the cruise line is worried about run-away food costs, it'll either show up on your cruise fare, or they'll "run out of lobsters" But the law of averages probably protects most of us from either the ship conveniently running out of food or from supplementing others indulgence or glutony in any real fashion. For instance, I get down on my knees and give thanks to all you gamblers our there that keep the line's profits up with out raising my fares, and all you non-drinkers owe me a debt of gratitude for keeping the bartenders and sommelliers in business with out adding to your cruise costs!;)

BTW, other passengers, as evidenced by these boards, are as likely, if not more likely, to comment on fellow passengers' eating habits than the staff is, even after the cruise is over!:D

Andrew

Emme, i have been on the Zenith the past 2 summers and my dad is a lobster lover as well. Must not run in the family though cause i get sick from it. The dining room staff did not have a problem with bringing him 2 lobsters at once, he even asked for third after that, again, not a problem. I kinda gave him a weird look when he finished the third though, kinda like "ask for a fourth and i don't know you", and he was full anyway....:D

Been there did that...

Have gotten 5 tails...

They prepare and buy for this night.

The ones that are cooked and ready but not eaten at dinner are in the Show buffet that night.

I will also say that RCL and Princess had the same policy...of customer satisfaction. When I last cruised on their line.

Jeanne, Hate to be the one to give out "secrets of the kitchen" but, unless the food has been plated and served, the chefs can be "very creative" in reusing food. Vegetables and meats become sauces and soups for later. :rolleyes:

Sorry I couldn't make you feel that your ordering more was actually being less wasteful, but you are on vacation, so have an extra dessert on me!:D If nothing else, asking for more always seems to make the waiters happy! So maybe you are being selfless after all!

Thanks Blazer Boy. I don't seem to care if its wasteful or not. I want to order more. One of the waiters on a Cunard ship asked if I had a "Tepe Worm." On the RCCL site I quoted you in regard to those who take the dictionary definition literally (in this case it was actually a stretch). Someone posted that because the dictionary describes jeans as Pants, then they are appropriate for casual night as pants are allowed - that the "Guidlines" would welcome the person with Jeans with "welcome arms." So I repeated your very sound advice, which gests sounder evey time I think about it.

:) Nah, BT, I don't think it's a matter of being right, because even I, saint that I am, have been known to raise my eyebrows and let my eyes bulge out ever so slightly when I see what people consume! :o And, no, Phil, I have NEVER ordered three or four entrees, and only a second perhaps twice in my cruising history (yes, it was lobster- so sue me!:D )

So if a waiter gossips, and I don't hear it, does he/she really make any noise?

And that, my good friends, is my philisophical question for the day! Happy Friday!

Andrew

If you were on a 3 or 4 nighter then lobster is not usually served as I understand. Our first cruise was a 4 night and we decided after that 7 was our minimum :D

We normally order an extra lobster to split or one for each of us depending on the appetite that evening. Never have had a problem on any cruise line including Celebrity

The waiters depend heavily on your tips. They are going to do everything that they can to make sure you are happy.

Charlie

I was actually on a 12-night cruise, and I take back my original statement. There were 2 nights I did not eat dinner in the dining room and lobster may have been served one of those nights --- I don't know.

And you are absolutely right about the waiters depending on the tips, but I suspect they'd do whatever they could to make you happy no matter what. At least, that's the impression I got.

Felicia

Felicia, I don't think you were addressing me but that was my point. The waiters are there to fullfill their obligation and they could care less if the passengers are served one or 10 lobsters. They are there to earn tips. On the other hand, Mgt. does care about food costs. My other point, yes your waiter will bring you whatever you want because it earns a bigger tip. What is the problem with the regular passenger understanding the simple fact that the crew is on board to earn tips and a good salerary and simply making sure the passengers enjoy the cuise.

We have cruised many different cruise lines and have never had a problem getting a second or split meal... meaning I could have the surf and turf if I wanted on Lobster night or two tails. I have traveled with Carnival several times and it was the same on all ships. The best waiter I ever had was on the Carnival Elation 7N cruise. His name was Simba and he went out of his way to take care of us. I traveled with one friend who had every soup available every night. Sometimes he had 4 or 5 bowls lined up! My daughter enjoyed a dessert one night so much that the next night, she requested it. They of course did not have it for the night but our waiter ran down (actually ran down - he had to take the stairs!) to the crew's mess and located one in the refridgerator and brought it back to her.

I think that it was rude of the waiter to advise your husband that he could only have one more or he could be fired for bringing it. I think he was lazy.

We just returned from a Disney cruise in July. We were asked on lobster night if we wanted two right off the bat. They were huge. I wished I had ordered one and split the other. The wait staff then asked again if we would like more. By the end of the cruise, I almost had to be rolled off of the ship. We had desserts to share/multiples of anything we wanted and some nights made meals out of appetizers and salads!

Sorry to hear you didn't have very good luck on your cruise. We have never taken Celebrity but I certainly hope you get anything you want!

Desiree

Felicia, I don't think you were addressing me but that was my point. The waiters are there to fullfill their obligation and they could care less if the passengers are served one or 10 lobsters. They are there to earn tips. On the other hand, Mgt. does care about food costs. My other point, yes your waiter will bring you whatever you want because it earns a bigger tip. What is the problem with the regular passenger understanding the simple fact that the crew is on board to earn tips and a good salerary and simply making sure the passengers enjoy the cuise.

Nothing wrong with that! If you can make more money by giving the passengers what they want, more power to ya, right?!

Felicia

Archived