First Time Cruise Tips

CoachRobes

Just got off the Carnival Victory and our first cruise....I learned a lot of valuable info off this website so now it's my turn to give back a little. These are just some general info and suggestions...take them or leave them

1) Yes, bring your own alcohol! Our Sail and Sign account was high enough as it is! We had to fly to our port so here's what we did....

-- packed a 40 can soft-sided cooler in our luggage and then filled it up with beer in Miami and checked it in as luggage for the ship

-- bubble wrapped 3 bottle of wine (not too expensive just in case they break) and then put in large ziplock backs with duct tape around that

-- poured rum and vodka into 2 large AquaFina bottles and taped the cap shut

-- filled our carry-on luggage (backpacks, etc.) with soda and bottled water

Absolutely no problems traveling all the way from CA and onto the ship to our room. Handed the steward on the first day and nice little tip and told him to keep our beer on ice. He instead switched out our cooler for a hard sided one that he had of his own so it would keep colder longer (it pays to tip folks!) In turn we were able to pack a few cold ones into our soft sided cooler for shore excursions.

All this and we still ran up a sizable tab on the S&S card at the bars!!

2) Go to the informational meetings held by the cruise director ....or watch them on your cruise ship channel on your cabin TV. Being our first time, this proved very valuable to us

3) If you buy stuff at the ports of call, try and buy valuables at shops that are recommended by the cruise line (they often are the only ones that offer a guarantee on your purchases). Some of the liquor stores will box and deliver your alcohol to the ship for you.

4) On Carnival, no need to tip unless you're getting room service. They factor in gratuity on your S&S card ($10 a day/person).

5) Get up early if you want a deck chair by the pool - I swear I think some people must get up at 6:00 a.m. and run out there and throw their towels on the chairs and go back to bed

6) Carry a passport and your S&S card when leaving the ship - you never know what can happen

7) Make sure your life insurance premium is paid up if riding in a taxi around the island on St. Thomas - I'm serious, they're out of control!

8) Book your shore excursions early! If you want to book one not offered thru the cruise line, I would not recommend a full day one if your ship is leaving port that day. We almost missed the cruise ship after a sailboat snorkeling trip. I would only book full day excursions thru the cruise line - they will hold leaving the port if you're late on one of those.

9) Room tips - what to bring

-- air freshener / matches - hey, remember, there's lots of food

-- more T-shirts than you think - the humidity can be brutal

-- a bungee cord to prop open your balcony door if the weather is conducive (yes, splurge for the balcony - you'll appreciate it)

10) If you ever go to St. Martin, go to Mayo Beach and the Sunset Beach Bar - one of the coolest bars you'll ever go to! Beautiful setting right on the beach, live music, the smell of BBQ, cold beer flowing, and oh yeah....727's landing nearly on top of you!

Have fun and do your own thing - remember, it's YOUR VACATION!

-packed a 40 can soft-sided cooler in our luggage and then filled it up with beer in Miami and checked it in as luggage for the ship

Did you pack the cooler inside of your luggage?

8) Book your shore excursions early! If you want to book one not offered thru the cruise line, I would not recommend a full day one if your ship is leaving port that day. We almost missed the cruise ship after a sailboat snorkeling trip. I would only book full day excursions thru the cruise line - they will hold leaving the port if you're late on one of those.

Which sailboat snorkeling trip did you book?

Rachel- there is a quote button on the bottom of each post-- if you click on that it will put the poist intoa new window that you can reply to.

Some people when taking a cooler will pack the cooler as a piece of luggage- just make sure it has a luggage tag on it.

My brother took a case of beer in an empty suitcase. We carry on 12 packs of pepsi and use a small cooler for the cans of soda.

10) If you ever go to St. Martin, go to Mayo Beach and the Sunset Beach Bar - one of the coolest bars you'll ever go to! Beautiful setting right on the beach, live music, the smell of BBQ, cold beer flowing, and oh yeah....727's landing nearly on top of you!

We did this once and it was SO FUN! The food was wonderful, too. Especially the ribs. The jets flying in was beyond awesome! Glad you had a great time.

-packed a 40 can soft-sided cooler in our luggage and then filled it up with beer in Miami and checked it in as luggage for the ship

Did you pack the cooler inside of your luggage?

yes, I packed the cooler inside a bag on the plane and then by itself for the ship. When done with the cruise, you also now have an extra bag to transport all your purchases from the islands (hint: alcohol)

Which sailboat snorkeling trip did you book?

Jester. Lots of fun, friendly captain, good food. Just cut a little too close to get back to the pier in time. Not many taxis from his location at Point Pleasant Resort (Fungi's Beach Bar - this place looked cool) near Red Hook Harbor

Archived