!!!!!5/10 Vancouver Zuiderdam embarkation!!!!!

frankc98376

We are on the Zuiderdam now and continuing to Alaska.

We just received a letter on board that everything in our cabin must be put away and everyone must leave the ship in Vancouver tomorrow morning for a deep cleaning. We are supposed to be off the ship by 9:30 an

We were told not to be back until after 1 pm. Boarding will be- not sure when new passengers will be able to board.

We just received a letter on board that everything in our cabin must be put away and everyone must leave the ship in Vancouver tomorrow morning for a deep cleaning. We are supposed to be off the ship by 9:30 an

We were told not to be back until after 1 pm. Boarding will be- not sure when new passengers will be able to board.

The Hop-On-Hop-Off Trolleys in Vancouver are good and would be a good time killer :) It seems to me there was a stop very near the cruise terminal

Sorry to hear that you have to go through that.

A couple of other people doing Collector Cruises some time ago reported that they had to do the same thing so the ship could get a "deep" cleaning. But if I remember correctly, there were a couple of free excursions offered.

Is there a Noro Virus issue on the ship that you know of? Wondering if that my be a reason why they want everyone off for a few hours. Just a thought.

There appears to be based on some other threads here. They also had to deep clean in San Diego

We are so glad to be off this ship. There appears to be a rampant gastro intestinal infection or AGE - acute gastroenteritis (as the Captain described it) - throughout the ship. When we boarded in Fort Lauderdale they were serving all passengers in the Lido for 48 hours. After the stop in Nicaragua they reintroduced the process and clamped down more on the use of the alcohol based hand wash. The MDR also changed procedures but they missed out sanitising the menus when passing them out at mealtimes. After a medivac in Vallarta they tried a "Deep Clean" at San Diego but needed to medivac someone again at Victoria so probably tne reason they were trying again in Vancouver. This is not good for the older passengers. We washed our hands frequently, avoided touching things, crossed our fingers and got off more or less in one piece. HAL? Never again 😬

Would be interested to hear from you again or anyone else joining Zuiderdam this weekend. We are due on in a couple of weeks and would prefer to read posts that suggested the GI Problem had been brought under control.

Not sure HAL can be seen to be to blame. You suggest they weren't as vigilant as they might have been in the MDR but our experience is that cruise companies prefer to sanitise menus out of main sight to avoid causing alarm amongst diners.

Cruise companies aren't generally responsible for the GI Problems as they are brought on board by infected passengers or others who don't self isolate on board when infected. What more can HAL do except introduce 48 hour ban on self service in the Lido and deep clean twice in a number of days.

Hopefully things will improve for everyone soon.

Would be interested to hear from you again or anyone else joining Zuiderdam this weekend. We are due on in a couple of weeks and would prefer to read posts that suggested the GI Problem had been brought under control.

Not sure HAL can be seen to be to blame. You suggest they weren't as vigilant as they might have been in the MDR but our experience is that cruise companies prefer to sanitise menus out of main sight to avoid causing alarm amongst diners.

Cruise companies aren't generally responsible for the GI Problems as they are brought on board by infected passengers or others who don't self isolate on board when infected. What more can HAL do except introduce 48 hour ban on self service in the Lido and deep clean twice in a number of days.

Hopefully things will improve for everyone soon.

They were deep cleaning again for Vancouver so it is still there.

There is a live thread on these boards for this sailing.

Having been through Noro twice on two cruise (one for a full 20 days), it is my experience it is the passengers that don't report despite free medical care.

They choose to wander around until they are so sick that they can't cope and finally call for help. By then, they have spread it around the ship.

I saw it on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Prinsendam. Fortunately on the Prinsedam the Captain came on forcefully and laid the law down. So we licked it on that ship. I hope the same thing happens on this cruise.

Sorry to hear that you have to go through that.

A couple of other people doing Collector Cruises some time ago reported that they had to do the same thing so the ship could get a "deep" cleaning. But if I remember correctly, there were a couple of free excursions offered.

What about those guests who physically cannot get off the ship for all those hours? There are some who never planned to go ashore and boarded the cruise for the ship life only.

There has to be some exception for people with physical limitations.

They permitted them to board at embarkation and they must see to their comfort and safety while aboard.

At least it is Vancouver where there is lots to do. When we were traveling a couple of years ago it was stinking hot when they were doing the cleaning and were overly careful as when we were in port in St. Lucia with a couple of Princess ships with noro. We saw sanitation ramped up serverly that night including personal bottles of purell left for each passenger on our beds and a message from the captain.

There is lots to do in Vancouver. At Canada place you are right at the skytrain and can go anywhere. Stanley Park will be beautiful at this time of year. Take the seatrain across to the North Shore. Go up the tram to the top of Grouse Mountain. If you like museums there are is the Museum of Anthropology at UBC which is really interesting. The list can go on and on. Or just enjoy a walk along the seawall.

Vancouver is my hometown and there is lots to do.

Every time I have the flu about the only thing I can do is lie on my bed. I wonder how these so called sick people seem to make the rounds all over the ship spreading germs everywhere.

It's really not that hard until they get REALLY sick. Best example (and another reason we avoid ship's tours when we can) is when I was up at the Lido in code RED and heard three ladies talking:

"are you going off today?

I think so - we aren't that bad and we think we can do it

- are you doing a tour - yes.

My husband isn't coming though - he seems to be bothered more than I.

Do you ladies want tea or coffee? Oh hang the rules, I'm not waiting - I'll get us all our own"

and she did - she ended up sick as a dog the next day.

I did report the touching to the steward at the Lido and they closed down that machine, removed all the cups, etc.

But no question she was coming down with it and in fact, was quarantined the next day. There is no point in sanitizing the ship and the tour buses when people break protocol like this lady did. JMO though.

Why don't we hear about hotels having this issue?

My guess (and that's all it is) ... people generally stay in hotels for one or two nights. If they are exposed, they come down with symptoms after they have checked out. It's not like the ship where 1000-2000 people share the same facility for a number of days.

Every time I have the flu about the only thing I can do is lie on my bed. I wonder how these so called sick people seem to make the rounds all over the ship spreading germs everywhere.

From mayoclinic:

With norovirus — the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in adults — you're contagious from the moment you begin to feel ill. Symptoms appear within one to three days of exposure. Although you typically feel better after a day or two, you're contagious for at least three days after you've recovered. Some people may be contagious for up to two weeks after recovery. Also, children are often contagious for a longer period than are adults.

You're on a cruise, maybe you think it's just being seasick, or the food. So you're out and about. Then maybe you get the symptoms and hopefully you're in your room. Then you feel better, but you're still shedding it. Maybe even for 2 weeks after you seem to have recovered if you're one of the lucky people mentioned above.

LOTS of time where you don't think you're contagious but you are. And when you're not totally sick (or feeling sick at all).

Edited by mollyeilis

Generally there isn't much middle ground for me. One day I'm functioning and the next day I can barely move so I was wondering how people could move about if they felt that way. Some people aren't bright and don't care about others.

We are so glad to be off this ship. There appears to be a rampant gastro intestinal infection or AGE - acute gastroenteritis (as the Captain described it) - throughout the ship. HAL? Never again

:rolleyes:

I can't help but wonder if all this sanitizing and 'deep cleaning' only leads to more resistant strains of the virus evolving... until nothing works and everyone gets sick.

I can't help but wonder if all this sanitizing and 'deep cleaning' only leads to more resistant strains of the virus evolving... until nothing works and everyone gets sick.

I agree.

There feel there is far too much use of the anti-bacterial gels, soaps and lotions. Plain soap and water used well and often is best. I think we're encouraging more strains of more potent viruses with all the gels people are constantly grabbing for.

As to why there seems to be more on cruise ships, I don't think that is necessarily so. Hotels, dormitories, nursing homes, camps etc do not have to make a report of an outbreak. Cruise ships must report if they have a certain percentage of guests/crew ill with gastro illnesses. They are the only category I know of that are required to make formal report.

In a hotel, there is likely always someone with Noro like virus but who would know. Most of those who are ill probably think they 'ate something' off. They think they have food poisoning but in any case they aren't lilkely to report to front desk they are ill unless seeking medical care. Even if they do, the hotel is not going to make any reports about ill guests. It is not something they want to advertise.

We are so glad to be off this ship. There appears to be a rampant gastro intestinal infection or AGE - acute gastroenteritis (as the Captain described it) - throughout the ship. When we boarded in Fort Lauderdale they were serving all passengers in the Lido for 48 hours. After the stop in Nicaragua they reintroduced the process and clamped down more on the use of the alcohol based hand wash. The MDR also changed procedures but they missed out sanitising the menus when passing them out at mealtimes. After a medivac in Vallarta they tried a "Deep Clean" at San Diego but needed to medivac someone again at Victoria so probably tne reason they were trying again in Vancouver. This is not good for the older passengers. We washed our hands frequently, avoided touching things, crossed our fingers and got off more or less in one piece. HAL? Never again 😬

This is not just HAL that has issues. They all do!

Cruise Line Cruise Ship Sailing Dates Causative Agent

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 4/5 - 4/12 Unknown

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Grandeur of the Seas 4/5 - 4/12 Unknown

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Grandeur of the Seas 3/28 - 4/5 Norovirus

Holland America Line ms Maasdam 3/2 - 3/28 Unknown

Holland America Line ms Veendam 2/8 - 2/22 Norovirus

Princess Cruise Lines Caribbean Princess 1/25 - 2/1 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Explorer of the Seas 1/21 - 1/31 Norovirus

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Star 1/5 - 1/19 Norovirus

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Gem 11/16 - 11/25 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruise Lines Celebrity Summit 9/21 - 10/5 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruise Lines Celebrity Millennium 04/25 - 05/10 Norovirus

Crystal Cruises Crystal Symphony 04/29 - 05/06 Norovirus

Holland America Line Veendam 04/13 - 05/04 Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Solstice 04/08 - 04/25 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Infinity 03/17 - 04/01 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 03/03 - 03/10 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Vision of the Seas 02/25 - 03/08 Norovirus

Cunard Line Queen Mary 2 12/22 - 01/03 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Emerald Princess 12/17 - 12/27 Norovirus

Prestige Cruise Holdings Oceania Riviera 11/15 - 11/29 Norovirus

Holland America Line Amsterdam 11/11-12/5 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 10/09-10/28 Norovirus and Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)

Princess Cruises Dawn Princess 08/21-09/13 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Rhapsody of the Seas 08/24-08/31 Norovirus

Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Glory 08/06-08/11 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Sun Princess 07/08-07/21 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 02/26-03/04 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 02/04-02/09 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Silhouette 01/29-02/10 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Constellation 01/28-02/11 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 01/28-02/04 Norovirus

P & O Cruises Aurora 01/04-01/26 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Voyager of the Seas 01/28-02/04 Norovirus

Generally there isn't much middle ground for me. One day I'm functioning and the next day I can barely move so I was wondering how people could move about if they felt that way. Some people aren't bright and don't care about others.

But your exposure didn't necessary occur the day your were functioning/before you got sick. I'm not sure the exact incubation of Noro or other viruses but I LMBO when someone says, I was beside someone coughing this morning and after lunch I felt ill - so I must have caught it from them.... [my mother does this when she didn't want to go somewhere - she swears she got sick from the place she didn't want to go instead of - say - the grocery store and walMart the week before]

Once exposed, you may not have symptoms immediately, but the virus is traveling around your gut or your lungs and you can shed the virus. Some people can have/shed a virus and never show symptoms