Stupid Stupid Stupid

Stupid. That's how I feel. We just returned from a week on Freedom of the Seas, eastern Caribbean sailing. Please learn a lesson from my experience. Do not take a Deluxe/Suite Guarantee no matter how sweet it may sound. I will promise you I will never ever – EVER- do that again. In fact, I was so angry about the way I was treated I wasn’t sure I’d even sail RC again.

Here’s how the deal that was presented to me: We bought a suite/deluxe guarantee for a couple dollars higher than a junior suite and were told that we will receive a suite – no guarantee what type of suite or where it will be, but in fact a suite. (!!) The rules of the game are that “enhanced suite perks” (gold card) are only for the level of Grand Suite or above. If the lowest level suites sell out (juniors), then you will receive something higher. (HA!) One rep told me that you should not to expect anything but the next level higher (grand suite). Another told me that you could get an Owner’s suite on deck 10 – in fact he said there were quite a few suites on deck 10 still available one week before sailing. There is a lot of what I consider deliberate misrepresentation to this category.

The important facts are: 1. They can assign you a cabin at any time. 2. Only buy the suite/deluxe guarantee if you will be happy with the smallest suite on the ship despite paying a little more.

This is what happened to me. With only a week to sailing, I stupidly fell for the song and dance of the suite/deluxe guarantee. Showing on the computer were: 2 junior suites on deck 9, a grand suite guarantee and several owner’s suites left on deck 10. No assignment given at time of booking. The Tuesday before sailing, they assigned me a JS but continued to sell upper level suite guarantees and several owner’s suites. Now, by assigning me the very last junior suite, that category is considered sold out. This puts us in a JS with no enhanced suite perks. They can no longer sell out the JS category and thereby upgrade us to an upper level suite based on our suite guarantee if no junior suites are still for sale. They continue to advertise the upper level suites until the day before sailing. They utterly refused to upgrade us or even speak to us and as far as I know the last Owner Suite was a prize for BINGO. The suite we received was 9244. The smallest junior suite on the ship. It has a loveseat instead of a sofa and a slight curve to the wall that makes it smaller than the others. Was it a nice cabin? Yes it was. Was it what I expected, hoped for and felt I was promised? No, absolutely not.

I will warn you I have my fire-proof underwear on if you'd like to flame me. I can take it! :rolleyes:

I assume you booked a category W.

This category is always JS and above. Sometimes the description states 'JS guarantee' and sometimes it will show as 'Suite Guarantee' in the text description.

These are becoming less valuable as RCI and all cruise lines now make 'upsell' calls in the final weeks prior to sailing to get those booked in JS to move to OS for a fee, thus awarding the most likely JS to the W GTY bookings.

You talk about a "grand suite guarantee" but that's not at all what you bought. Sorry, you rolled the dice and lost. When you book any guarantee you need to either be happy with the lowest cabin in that category or don't book it.

.The rules of the game are that “enhanced suite perks” (gold card) are only for the level of Grand Suite or above. If the lowest level suites sell out (juniors), then you will receive something higher.

If you were actually told these exact words by an RCI rep then I would be upset and I would make a complaint, because that is not 'the rules' at all. The rules are that you get a JS or better, at the absolutely discretion of RCI. They are fully entitled to sell out the JS, then offer a paid upgrade to one of those customers up to a GS to make space for you in the old JS. I think this is most commonly what happens. You are not entitled to a GS just because the JS sell out.

So, if you were told this complain. If you assumed this then take it as a lesson learnt for next time.

I have done a W once and received a JS on the hump which I was fine with. The price was lower than JS had originally been going for though.

I don't know why you would have ever paid more for a "guarantee" cabin than the going rate for the lowest possible cabin you could be assigned. Every guarantee I've ever seen has been cheaper than the lowest you could get, because you are not able to choose your cabin.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

The room was booked a week before sailing?

I could see being upset if the JS was a crappy room that had the disco above it and the kitchen below it & you couldn't sleep.

Hopefully you're young and this is a good lesson for you....never believe anything you're told, & only half of what you see. If it isn't in writing, it doesn't exist.

A good case in point for why we don't book guarantee-category cabins. They sound like a good deal, but I need to know what cabin I'm booking, and where it's located. If I end up with something I didn't want -- then it wasn't a good deal!

I guess you figure it out.. you gambled... you lost.

Guarantees are often higher than choosing a cabin, usually when 'less desirable' cabins in a category are remaining in inventory.

If you book a guarantee, be prepared to receive the lowest possible cabin in that category (RE: a Junior Suite). Always be pleasantly surprised if you get anything higher than the lowest category.

Did you not read the disclaimer on the web site regarding guarantees?

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

• deckplan Codes: w.gif

You said " We bought a suite/deluxe guarantee for a couple dollars higher than a junior suite and were told that we will receive a suite – no guarantee what type of suite or where it will be, but in fact a suite. " You go on to say that you might get a higher suite... but did anyone guarantee you one? No. All you were promised was a category W suite... anything from a Junior Suite up. Just because people 'can' get a higher category is irrelevant.

Your expectations were not met, because you inflated your expectations based on your desire to obtain a Grand or Owners Suite at a discounted rate. You wrongly figured that they would 'give' you a GS or OS rather than sail with those suites empty. You even said one rep said you shouldn't expect anything more than one level upgrade... but that didn't guarantee you any type of upgrade. Spin it anyway you want. You gambled... you lost. It wasn't a good bet from the beginning. The incentive for Royal is to sell suites up to the last minute and then upgrade their most loyal (anyone above Diamond+) to unsold Suites -- rather than assign them to those who book guarantees. Be honest... did anyone from RCI ever say to you -- you will be assigned a Grand or Owner's Suite? I think you heard what you wanted to hear.

Threatening to not sail RC again... well that is your choice. But, if you do the same thing on another line. Expect the same results.

I hope this did not ruin your cruise. I hope you will do a little more research before booking another guarantee on any line. I hope you can let go of your anger. I hope you enjoy your next cruise!

You booked a W Guarantee, got a JS. Been there, done that with the same results. Only reason we took it was the "W" was less than a JS at the time. If it had been more, I would not have done it.

They just offer the GS and OS to whoever was already in the JS for a few bucks more and moved me in the JS. That's the way it works. Sorry you didn't understand that or read what is on the website.

Relying on what they tell you on the phone over what the website says, you have been on here a while, you should know better. :rolleyes:

I've booked W guarantee many times and may be hopeful but have always only received a JS. I did on one occassion pay I believe $10 more for the W vs the JS where I could have chosen my room. I knew it was a gamble, oh well, I got an assigned JS which wasn't so bad anyway.

Did you book through a TA or RCI rep. I find it hard to believe a RCI rep led you to believe that strongly that you would more likely end up with a GS or better.

OrlandoD, I did the same thing once and learned as you did. They assigned my room several months before sailing so no hope in getting that wished upon upgrade but the good thing is once you have a room number you can always change it. I still got the location I wanted and the JS. No more lottery with WS class unless its a very good deal for me.

We have always been happy with the guarantee game. But IMO the only way to play is to be content with the worst cabin in the minimum guaranteed category at the guaranteed price. That is to say, it should be primarily seen as a pricing tool. Never play the game as a way to get an upgrade. Never ever never pay more get no more than a guarantee of the category you are already in -- a "guaranteed" recipe for disappointment.

A "suite" gty is usually a JS...no matter what they say! I LOVE JS's! Quite comfortable for 2 people!

Agreed. A "suite" guarantee is the guarantee of a minimum of a JS, nothing more. RCI would not tell you it means anything else. It "can" mean a higher category, but can you imagine it if everyone thought it always did? That makes no sense at all does it?

We have had GS but that's because we booked a GS. We usually stay in JS. WE also always book the exact cabin we want, then we are never disappointed. Of course, I also don't expect something for nothing.

I don't know why you would have ever paid more for a "guarantee" cabin than the going rate for the lowest possible cabin you could be assigned. Every guarantee I've ever seen has been cheaper than the lowest you could get, because you are not able to choose your cabin.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Whilst I agree that is what I expect and what I normally see, I did notice last week they were selling w guarantee on my upcoming cruise for more than the JS was advertised for. It also showed only JS available so thought it strange the W price was higher:confused: