How Relaxed Is The Dress Code?

karinad

For the OP and others who may be new to NCL: Most ships have two MDRs. The larger, fancier one is typically in the back of the ship with big aft-facing windows and that's where the dress code is a bit more formal.

So if your husband wants to wear the longer shorts and sandals in the evening and that's not enough for the "fancy" MDR, you can go to the other, smaller MDR where they serve a nearly identical menu.

On the SUN (at least) you could also order anything that was on the other MDR menu as well. DH like one dish in the fancier MDR but our DD's liked the ambiance of the more casual MDR so DH just asked for his favorite entre off of the other menu. Apparently the same kitchen supplied the food for both MDR's.

I had to open this thread (and what a breath of fresh air it is) because I was just reading a similar (;)) thread on the HAL board ("New HAL Dress Code ?"). I'm cruising on HAL in September because they have an itinerary I really loved, but I am soooooo going to miss NCL and cruisers like all of you!

Why would that amaze you? It is the dress code. On 6 NCL cruises and I have never seen shorts allowed in the aft MDR at dinner ...

What amazed me was that considering how well they enforce the no saving of lounges at the pool, or no saving seats at the shows they would actually enforce this one.

Other cruiselines have the "suggested or required costume of the evening," for formal night, semi formal night,and smart casual night. NCL only asks for resort casual through out the entire cruise. Dress up or not night is up to us, and many do dress up for pictures.

What amazed me was that considering how well they enforce the no saving of lounges at the pool, or no saving seats at the shows they would actually enforce this one.

I had to respond to this to tell you a great lounge chair story. One time I wanted to just sit on the upper deck and relax and there was a group of chairs with a towel sharing three of them. The people around the chairs all told me the chairs had a towel draped for a long time. I decided I would sit in one and just relax since I planned to get up when the occupants came back. Over one hour later three females returned and rudely told me to get up. I told the one closest to me that I had been sitting here for quite some time and no one came in fact I was now just finishing my drink. Well I guess they wrongly thought the three of them could get away with poor behavior. One of the cruise employees heard them and came right over and told them they abandoned the chairs and I had the right to sit in one of them. He told me I could remain where I was or if I would like he would get me another chair and set it up for me in a better spot. He did which was both kind and appreciated.

We will be sailing on the Gem out of NYC in late Oct. As long as I know that my DH won't need any formal attire he won't have a problem wearing long pants and a shirt with a collar. He'll be thrilled with not needing a tie!

For the OP and others who may be new to NCL: Most ships have two MDRs. The larger, fancier one is typically in the back of the ship with big aft-facing windows and that's where the dress code is a bit more formal.

So if your husband wants to wear the longer shorts and sandals in the evening and that's not enough for the "fancy" MDR, you can go to the other, smaller MDR where they serve a nearly identical menu.

Great info. Does this apply to Jewel?

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

Because I didn't know the rule, I wore khaki shorts with sneakers to the aft MDR about five times on a recent Bermuda cruise. Nobody ever said anything, and I didn't feel underdressed in any way.

Frankly, it never occurred to me to pack long pants on a summer cruise when the weather was hot every day.

We were just on the Getaway last month and ate at Le Bistro. I was wearing capris and they asked me to go back to cabin to change. I ate Le Bistro on the sky In capris with no problem. I guess it depends on the hostess.

:eek: Really surprised over this. We had no problem with dd and myself wearing capris to Le Bistro on Breakaway. (or any other restaurant.) In fact, we didn't even pack long pants - wore capris (nice ones) each night. Will throw in a pair of slacks "just in case" for our next NCL cruises!

Because I didn't know the rule, I wore khaki shorts with sneakers to the aft MDR about five times on a recent Bermuda cruise. Nobody ever said anything, and I didn't feel underdressed in any way.

Frankly, it never occurred to me to pack long pants on a summer cruise when the weather was hot every day.

On cruises to Bermuda they permit "Bermuda shorts" in the aft MDR. Since the hostess at the door has no idea what Bermuda shorts actually are, they'll usually admit you with anything decent looking. Jeans shorts probably wouldn't pass muster, but your khakis would.

:eek: Really surprised over this. We had no problem with dd and myself wearing capris to Le Bistro on Breakaway. (or any other restaurant.) In fact, we didn't even pack long pants - wore capris (nice ones) each night. Will throw in a pair of slacks "just in case" for our next NCL cruises!

Women can wear capris.