Falmouth, Jamaica - Port

VacayVik

Having been transported thru the "real" town of Falmouth on three RCI sponsored excursions, we were able to observe the Locals going about their daily routines as we drove by.

Shopping, clothes hanging on the lines............

Vendors selling their wares at open Markets.

Open bars. People sleeping anywhere they could.

A lot of walkers.

If it was a group sponsored tour I would do. A walking tour would be awesome.

However I would not venture out on my own.

What would concern me is that we as tourist would obviously not blend in with the culture of this town.

We would look and dress different and look out of place. Be a sitting target.

All's it would take would be one local to harm a visitor.

We as a family respect the cultures of other countries yet being unfamiliar with the island for our own safety would not venture out on its own.

Safe travels

Anyone who says this port is not safe is an idiot, it's the most pre-packaged port I've ever been to within a large fenced area. I did a beach tour to an amazing beach for $20 which included chairs and umbrellas

There is so much more to a port than the walls surrounding the dock area.

Any suggestions for free wi fi in or near the cruise ship terminal area in Falmouth?

At Diamonds International. We went in, and up to the second floor, and sat in some comfy chairs, and used the internet. They also had a small bar area, and you could get free drinks......jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

We will be returning to Falmouth in April and after experiencing this port before I have no desire to leave the secured gates of the port. The vendor Market is nice enough and this will be our shopping day.

I truly don't think the locals accept the cruise passengers coming in yet as being a good thing. Time will tell.

Anyone who says this port is not safe is an idiot, it's the most pre-packaged port I've ever been to within a large fenced area. I did a beach tour to an amazing beach for $20 which included chairs and umbrellas

What beach did you go to? we would be interested.

Thanks

What beach did you go to? we would be interested.

Thanks

Not sure, but my guess would be Red Stripe Beach, close enought that it can be reasonably priced, though $20 seems low. It is around $29 now through Royal Caribbean. There is also a public beach a couple of miles away that you could go to by taxi.

We went to Blue Hole with Liberty Tours and it was wonderful. Ricardo told us all sorts of history and the falls were amazing. This is by far the best excursion I've ever done. People who say falmouth is a bad stop makes me sad because there is a lot of beauty in Jamaica to see. The shopping at the port is decent and nice, but I wouldn't walk out beyond port. I'd definitely do a tour. I highly recommend Liberty tours. I posted photos on Trip Advisor.