Cruise Critic Community
Hydrokitty

Budapest Parliament Tour

Keep checking Sippican....it may be too early for the times to be set. I know when I looked there were 2 english tours a day one in the morning and one at 1 p.m. but when concierge booked we got a 3 pm tour in english that still had 50 spaces available. If you continue to have problems, I would go to viatour...I had called then when Vantage was having such trouble getting them and they seemed very easy to deal with and told me how many spaces were on each tour as well as dates available.

Thanks for the tips. I did figure they just are not available yet. I have seen the 3:00 tour available on some other dates (am wondering if they add it if the others fill).

We are booked for a full-day private tour with Andrea Makkay on the day we disembark, and are hoping to do the Parliament on our own the following day.

Emily got the Parliament Tickets for us for 12 euro each. This is a small fraction of what I see that the well known travel tour site charges.

She purchased the Parliament tickets for us ahead of time and we went in at 3:00 pm for the tour in English My husband, who has an extensive background in commercial construction, said it is the most beautiful building he has ever seen. Interestingly, the Parliament building was the winner of a design contest, but officials decided to build the design that was the runner up and it sits across the plaza from the well known Parliament building.

Do not miss this opportunity.

It is exciting to hear such an enthusiastic recommendation for the Parliament tour. We are very much looking forward to it. The official website to purchase tickets, recommended on the Parliament site, is the Jegymester one mentioned above. The cost from them is roughly equivalent to $15 USD, not sure what Viator charges.

We have hired private guides for the day in both Prague and Budapest. Do you have any other outstanding places to recommend?

Last July as part of our touring, I hired a guide, Emily, in Budapest. I arranged a 4 hour tour with her so she could show us sites over and above the standard city tour. She purchased the Parliament tickets for us ahead of time and we went in at 3:00 pm for the tour in English. I remember the group as being maybe 12 people. Later, when we were telling fellow passengers about our tour, there wasn't anyone else that went inside for a tour. My husband, who has an extensive background in commercial construction, said it is the most beautiful building he has ever seen. Interestingly, the Parliament building was the winner of a design contest, but officials decided to build the design that was the runner up and it sits across the plaza from the well known Parliament building.

Shebely, I am so excited to be finally getting to tour the Parliament! The last time we were in Budapest it was undergoing extensive renovation and all tours were cancelled or very very spotty. My husband is a civil engineer and he says the same thing about the building. It's supposedly on of the most beautiful in Europe.

Sippican:

If you've hired a private guide for Budapest, why don't you just contact him/her and tell them you want Parliament tour included. I am certain they will arrange that for you and you don't have to deal with all this stress. Price sounds about right and the 3 pm tour was not listed on their web page. I imagine they do add on as needed, especially if they know they have a few river boats in port.

Sippican:

If you've hired a private guide for Budapest, why don't you just contact him/her and tell them you want Parliament tour included. I am certain they will arrange that for you and you don't have to deal with all this stress. Price sounds about right and the 3 pm tour was not listed on their web page. I imagine they do add on as needed, especially if they know they have a few river boats in port.

We had considered that but decided not to for a couple of reasons. We'd be paying our guide for basically just waiting around while we do the Parliament Tour, we figure we can make much more valuable use of her talents. It is an easy tour to DIY and since we have three days total in a Budapest we can do it another time. I may contact her though just to see if she can arrange the tickets for us.

Edited by sippican

We booked our tour tickets on line before our River Cruise.

No need for a tour company.

We walked from the boat to Parliament.

Was the trip worthwhile? How long did it take? Were you able to hear the guide well? Thank you!

I wrote to Jegymester asking when tickets for later on this year will be on sale on the website. Here is their reply:

"A Visitor Centre is under construction. Tickets are on sale until 30th June at the moment. I am afraid we do not know yet when tickets for July onwards will go on sale."

I wrote to Jegymester asking when tickets for later on this year will be on sale on the website. Here is their reply:

"A Visitor Centre is under construction. Tickets are on sale until 30th June at the moment. I am afraid we do not know yet when tickets for July onwards will go on sale."

Thank you for posting this update. I guess I'll just need to keep checking.

Thank you for posting this update. I guess I'll just need to keep checking.

Has anyone on this site purchased tickets in July by walking up to the ticket booth at the Parliament? We're all talking about getting tickets ahead of time, but I wonder how likely or unlikely it would be for you to just go and see if you can get the English tour, especially since you're there for 3 days. although to be perfectly honest Sippican, if it were me, I would ask my private tour guide to get the tickets for me. tour runs 90 minutes, even if you have to pay her to wait for you, how much could it be? And, when do you plan on being in Budapest again?

Hang in there, I hope it works out for you.:)

I just got this follow up email from Jegymester:

Dear Customer,

Update: tickets for the Hungarian Parliament for July onwards are on sale now.

Kindly check out http://www.jegymester.hu/eng/Production/480000/Parlamenti-latogatas.

I bought my tickets for August. They only accept Visa or MasterCard.

Also, after completing the purchase they tell you to print the e-ticket. It took about a minute for their server to update before the ticket was available for printing. So don't panic if it doesn't print right away.

I was able to purchase four tickets for July online, easy peasy!

So we will be doing this independently.

We did not want to take time out of our day with our private guide, as the Parliament tour is guided and very easy to DIY.

Next up, Hospital in the Rock.

Last year there was extensive construction on the Parliament grounds and walkways. Please check at your hotel or CD on ship to see if construction continues this year. The construction necessitated a different entrance for the tour.

Last year there was extensive construction on the Parliament grounds and walkways. Please check at your hotel or CD on ship to see if construction continues this year. The construction necessitated a different entrance for the tour.

No problem. The entrance info is provided when you buy the ticket on the website.

Was the trip worthwhile? How long did it take? Were you able to hear the guide well? Thank you!

We had this parliament tour in 2012. It lasted about 30 minutes and was IMO a waste of time and money. They only show a little part of the building and the parliament hall from the balcony. That's it. :( Hopefully something's changes and it is better now.

We had this parliament tour in 2012. It lasted about 30 minutes and was IMO a waste of time and money. They only show a little part of the building and the parliament hall from the balcony. That's it. :( Hopefully something's changes and it is better now.

Seems like most people really enjoy their visit - over 2000 reviews of "excellent" on the Tripadvisor website.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d276817-Reviews-Parliament_Orszaghaz-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

A common complaint is the lack of quality guides. Guess we will get to see for ourselves in a few weeks.

Edited by sippican

web site is working fine now.

I purchased 8 tickets for September 18....sure hope it is worth time and $18!

Easy to do and charged to credit card...we will see if there is a foreign transaction fee.

web site is working fine now.

I purchased 8 tickets for September 18....sure hope it is worth time and $18!

Easy to do and charged to credit card...we will see if there is a foreign transaction fee.

I used my capital one card and there was no transaction fee. It cost me a little over $30 for two tickets, plus the on line purchase charge.

PP pointed out that her tour was seriously abbreviated in 2012. The last time we were there Parliament was undergoing serious renovations and the tours were very sporadic, if at all, that's why we didn't get to see it last time. I haven't heard anything negative on either cc or trip advisor to indicate that this is on going. Let's all hope so, although I think concierge from Vantage would have told me not to buy them if there was a frequent problem. It does say, however, on the web site that any time Parliament is in session tours will be cancelled and that includes any time there is an emergency session, under which circumstances I would hope we get our money back.

Just returned and the Parliment is a must see in Budapest! We did the tour and our only wish was that we could do it on our own so we could stay and observe the beautiful architecture longer.

Just returned and the Parliment is a must see in Budapest! We did the tour and our only wish was that we could do it on our own so we could stay and observe the beautiful architecture longer.

Thank you!! We'll be there in two weeks and I can't wait. Nice of you to report that it was so worth it.

Thank you for the update!

FYI for others - At one point the tickets for our time slot showed "sold out", a few days later 20 more tickets appeared. It pays to keep checking.

Booked our tickets for August 7th online yesterday, had minor problem with payment as it would not except my credit card, tried my travel debit card and it took it. Printed tickets out straight away

Just returned from Vantage Gateway to the Black Sea. Our tour of Budapest parliament came off without a hitch! Thanks for all the help. Only trouble we had was finding the proper entrance...it's not where you would expect it to be, it's on the opposite side of the building in the back. Look for crowds of people and a guard. We were told to bring our passports, but they were neither looked at nor asked for. The guards were very nice and when we went to the entrance looked at our tickets and said we were too early to go back and sit down, we would be the next tour. You will go through security, and there are a lot of steps, BUT, if you ask your guide, he will arrange for you to use the elevator. It was a 45 minute tour (not the 90 minutes I was told) but it was amazing and I would recommend it. I do not understand why it is not an included, or at least an optional, tour.

I wanted to follow-up with out impressions of the Parliament tour. Six of us pre-purchased tickets online. There ended up being about 40 people in the tour. It seemed that many participants were English-as-a-Second-Language visitors. It was difficult to hear the guide at times due to the size of the group and others talking over her (in another language). That being said, the price of the ticket was worth seeing the interior of this wonderful building, even without the guide. The hall where the crown is displayed is fascinating. I highly recommend it as a place to visit!

4ce07a0b-68b9-41b9-8eeb-9b11db638598.jpg

Edited by sippican

What a beautiful building! Sippican, thanks for posting it. I just noticed your signature and the list of sailed cruises. We also did Alaska on Millennium-loved that cruise!

I wanted to follow-up with out impressions of the Parliament tour. Six of us pre-purchased tickets online. There ended up being about 40 people in the tour. It seemed that many participants were English-as-a-Second-Language visitors. It was difficult to hear the guide at times due to the size of the group and others talking over her (in another language). That being said, the price of the ticket was worth seeing the interior of this wonderful building, even without the guide. The hall where the crown is displayed is fascinating. I highly recommend it as a place to visit!

4ce07a0b-68b9-41b9-8eeb-9b11db638598.jpg

I have the same picture! It was a wonderful tour but ours was much smaller. The crown is amazing and while I knew not to photograph it, I did take one picture of the ceiling and a guard zipped over and very nicely reminded me that I couldn't take pictures in the room. I agree, it was SO worth doing and I recommend it as well. I wonder why none of the tour companies include it, even as an optional tour. Anyone know?

Hydrokitty - that's funny, I was so tempted! Sharon - I'm just figuring out how to link my photos, still kind of trial and error. I'm hoping to add some to my trip thread once I get a little more comfortable using Photobucket. (We did love our Alaska trip.)

Meanwhile here are a couple more from the interior.

61d148a7-22bb-48fa-b967-f802a302c026.jpg

IMG_3413-1.jpg