My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

I recently returned from Singapore (and SE Asia) and thought I'd share my travelogue since I use the port boards for info gathering. I visited for 5 days, then got on a ship and visited it again for one day off the ship. Here are the things I wrote about Singapore:

Next we headed for Little India, and a famous store called Mustafa, opened 24 hours a day and huge with 4 floors. This store sold everything imaginable from medicine and food to jewelry and clothing. Amazing place, perfect for jet lagged folks who find themselves awake in the middle of the night.

Indeed, Mustafa is so famous, it even has its own icon created for our Golden Jubilee Celebrations - SG50. Thanks for visiting Singapore!

2mcdg9c.png

Ibfern

thanks for your great report. Would you mind telling me what the cost was for your driver. We are a group of 4 arriving on rhapsody 6am and flying out 9pm the following night. I am trying to decide whether to get around with the 2day transport ticket covering train and bus, or go hop on hop off or private driver. Am concerned the heat might get to us if we go the train bus way. I have been looking at the funvee hop on hop off which includes the bus train and a trip on the river. Down side to that is we have to get ourselves to a place in orchard road to purchase the tickets. Not very visitor friendly. Would love to know where the loo with a view is located too. We are there beginning of may.

thanks heaps

Hi Tara,

Kuhan was a fantastic driver, i believe he changed us 50 Singapore dollars per hour and we were with him for 8 hours total. You can certainly get a cheaper taxi but Kuhan is more than a driver, he is also a guide and is quite adept at knowing where to drop us and instructing us where he will pick us up. He made wonderful suggestions and we ended up see a lot more than we thought we would, it was a perfect way to fill in all the gaps from our initial 5 days in Singapore.

Loo with a view is on the Singapore side of the skyride to Sentosa Island, its before you get on the ride so ask where to go for this.

The subway system is incredible, clean and cool and it is simple to get to Orchard road from anywhere and I assume it in the mall area, or in the transitional area where we bought our transit passes, one level below street level. Just ask for them to clarify where you need to go. Singapore's transit system is quite comprehensive, but don't forget to ask people which exit to take for where you want to go because there is generally 4 or more exits off in different directions!

What an awesome report! Thanks for sharing. I am a local but I don't think I have been to ALL the places that you visited in your time here. Cool!

Yes, the Shangri-La is a very famous hotel. I recall this is the hotel that the US Presidents would stay at, when they visited Singapore.

Question - during your visit to Singapore, I think the Sapphire Princess docked at Harbourfront? I see this year that the Sapphire Princess now docks at the Marina Bay Cruise Center. I don't think we can see the ships at MBCC from the Cable Car which is right next to Harbourfront.

The Sapphire used the Marina Bay Cruise center for embarkation, port/transit day, and disembarkation.

What a great day you had Amelia! I remember seeing you on board and you couldn't stop talking about the great day you had had!

We also used the MRT whilst in Singapore and getting a ticket was very easy. Just head underground go to the info box and ask for the different potions for tourists. We got a card for $10 SGD each which got us around for the 3 days after the cruise. You can hand the card in at the end and get a refund, but we feel we will be back so we kept it.

This is the MRT network, correct as at Nov 2014. There are new lines coming online (no pun intended) in the next 1-2 years - these upcoming lines are dotted lines on the map. It will be even easier to get around!

bhah5l.jpg

This is the link to the Singapore Tourist Pass - http://www.thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg/

A graphic from the website.

ivh375.jpg

For those cruisers looking for places to visit in Singapore, here is my list, most of which I have visited, and others yet to visit.

* Artscience Museum at Marina Bay Sands

* National Museum of Singapore

* Battle Box in Fort Canning Park

* Mint Museum of Toys (26 Seah Street)

* Changi Museum

* Army Museum of Singapore, Upper Jurong Road

* Singapore Discovery Centre (good for children)

* Marina Barrage

* NeWater Visitors Centre

* Royal Selangor Pewter Centre.

* Sentosa Island

* Singapore Cable Car Ride (from Harbourfront)

* Singapore Flyer

* Cruise on bum boat on Singapore River

* $1 ice cream from vendor near bridge (Clarke Quay) - threw this one in as he is my favourite ice cream vendor.

* Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom on Sentosa Island

* Stand up paddle board hire at Silosa Beach (Sentosa)

* Stand up paddle board hire at East Coast Parkway (near Big Splash)

* Singapore Botanical Gardens (a must for orchid lovers & lovers of Heliconians & gingers)

* Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo, and Night Safari

* Underwater World, Sentosa (this is a MUST for lovers of fish, corals etc)

* Chinatown Heritage Centre

* Tiger Beer Brewery (for the beer lovers)

* Palua Ubin Island (cycling)

* Asian Civilisation Museum

* Bukit Brown Chinese Cemetary

* MacRitchie Reservoir or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (great for walking in the last rainforest areas on Singapore Island)

* Raffles Hotel & Chimes shops - have a singapore sling at Raffles or coffee/cake in their Cafe.

* Lastly, for the ladies - Orchard Road (shopping) - and finish off your busy shopping day with a nice lunch in Goodwood Park Hotel (lovely old fashioned Hotel, with lots of ambiance)....happy shopping ladies.

We are going within the next couple of weeks,we will be docking at 10pm and staying until 5pm the next day, we have an excursion booked through RCI for the full day, but I was thinking of getting off the ship after we arrive and heading for Nathan Road, Do you think it will be open at say 11-12 at night?

• Haha 1

We are going within the next couple of weeks,we will be docking at 10pm and staying until 5pm the next day, we have an excursion booked through RCI for the full day, but I was thinking of getting off the ship after we arrive and heading for Nathan Road, Do you think it will be open at say 11-12 at night?

I don't know where Nathan road is! the Mustafa center in little India is open 24/7 that might be a place to head to, its an amazing place. The walk to the subway from the port is covered and a bit of a hike, once there buy a ticket and go where you like! The Gardens by the Bay are lovely at night!

I think you are referring to Hong Kong! Nathan Road is very famous in Hong Kong. The Nathan Road in Singapore is a prime residential area.

So I think you are referring to Hong Kong - http://www.nathan-road.hk/

To answer your question, I think the shops will close around 11:30 to midnight. So, yes, you still can get to see something. It shouldn't take you that long to get from the Kai Tak cruise terminal to Nathan road. The distance is about 9km. Take a taxi from the cruise terminal and you should be there in 15 to 20 minutes max. I am assuming no jams at that time of the night.

Bintan Lagoon Hotel was okay, nothing out of the box, if you know what I mean. We stayed, I think 3 days, and that was enough.

There is another island, more upmarket I believe, called Nikoi Island, which is reached from another ferry from Bintan Island. Look Nikoi Island on the web, it

looks quite good.

The ferry to Bintan Island leaves from Tenah Merah Ferry Wharf on the east coast of Singapore. Bintan & Nikoi Islands are part of Indonesia, and thus you will be required to pay a small amount money to visit Indonesia, and also you need to bring your passports, to be stamped. When we visited, there were two very nice ladies, like tourist representatives or guides, who assisted visitors in the paying & having your passports stamped.

If you want to travel to islands further afield, there is always Rewa Island, situated just up the east coast of Malaysia.

Just remembered my son, wife & grandson, when they first visited Singapore on a holiday, they visited a very swanky resort, which I think was called Japalama? I must ask him when I speak to him again.

IMHO, Bintan is a tourist trap. They target Singaporeans and other foreigners and the prices are rather expensive too. That is our experience.

What place isn't a tourist trap? We just returned from sapphire princess South East cruise - visiting Penang, kl, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Bangkok, Ko Samui, etc

I just returned from a cruise and spent 2 days in Singapore after.

(Widebay, we were the small ship sharing Koh Samui with you on Sapphire Princess, I suspect....:))

I did a lot in the two days I was there, including:

The Botanic Gardens (the heat was oppressive but the orchids spectacular)

Asian Civilizations Museum (undergoing renovations now, so about half the galleries are closed -- but admission is FREE because of it and still worthwhile)

Did the bumboat river ride -- worth it for the photo ops of all the architecture

Bugis night market -- fun to mingle more than to buy

Chinatown & Little India areas

Mt. Fabor overlook

Dinner at Boat quay

Singapore Sling at Raffles Long Bar :D

I stayed at the Regent Hotel near Orchard Road -- wasn't the greatest location although the hotel was nice. It just wasn't close to the places I wanted to be.

• Like 1

I just returned from a cruise and spent 2 days in Singapore after.

(Widebay, we were the small ship sharing Koh Samui with you on Sapphire Princess, I suspect....:))

I did a lot in the two days I was there, including:

The Botanic Gardens (the heat was oppressive but the orchids spectacular)

Asian Civilizations Museum (undergoing renovations now, so about half the galleries are closed -- but admission is FREE because of it and still worthwhile)

Did the bumboat river ride -- worth it for the photo ops of all the architecture

Bugis night market -- fun to mingle more than to buy

Chinatown & Little India areas

Mt. Fabor overlook

Dinner at Boat quay

Singapore Sling at Raffles Long Bar :D

I stayed at the Regent Hotel near Orchard Road -- wasn't the greatest location although the hotel was nice. It just wasn't close to the places I wanted to be.

Hi Cruisemom!

Its been awhile since I saw you around the port boards, glad to see you are still exploring. Don't you do a lot of Voyages of Antiquity? I'd love to see your reviews of these. Anyway just wanted to shout out a hearty hello!

Hi Cruisemom!

Its been awhile since I saw you around the port boards, glad to see you are still exploring. Don't you do a lot of Voyages of Antiquity? I'd love to see your reviews of these. Anyway just wanted to shout out a hearty hello!

Hi Amelia,

I've been knocking around the boards but haven't seen you in a while either. I just returned from a Voyages to Antiquity cruise (SE Asia), so I found my way here to this board. I've posted a few things about my most recent cruise in posts 34 & 39 of this thread, I'm debating whether I should do a full review. Suffice to say they are a good fit for me.

Hi Amelia,

I've been knocking around the boards but haven't seen you in a while either. I just returned from a Voyages to Antiquity cruise (SE Asia), so I found my way here to this board. I've posted a few things about my most recent cruise in posts 34 & 39 of this thread, I'm debating whether I should do a full review. Suffice to say they are a good fit for me.

I didn't write a full review on the Sapphire because it seemed like most folks on the Princess boards want ship info and I am more into the ports! I always journal my travels, if I don't write it down its easier to forget.

Send me a link if you review this cruise, i fell in love with Asia and am going back soon, but not on the Sapphire! Imagine if I had said that on the Princess boards! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

:confused:Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel? We'll be there for about a week before a cruise next year. I've tried looking online, but don't know the neighborhoods/ areas that are convenient to the sights.

:confused:Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel? We'll be there for about a week before a cruise next year. I've tried looking online, but don't know the neighborhoods/ areas that are convenient to the sights.

Hi tatabea,

You're going to get heaps of suggestions for where and what's best to stay in Singapore!! Everyone has their favourite spots.

Singapore is a modern city, clean and easy to get around. They have a fabulous transport system whether it be on the MRT, bus or by taxi. So you will never have trouble getting to the attractions. I always try to stay within easy walking distance of an MRT.

What are you looking for in a hotel. Do you want a swimming pool? Free wifi? Do you want to be right in the heart of a cultural area or a more shopping area? How much is inexpensive? So many questions......

Recently I have stayed in 2 very different hotels - the Viillage Bugis Hotel, close to the Arab quarter and an easy walk to little India, Bugis st shopping area and the MRT. Clean, basic, had everything we needed and good value.

In January I stayed in the heart of Chinatown at the Scarlet Hotel, a unique boutique hotel. Rooms are small, but beautifully furnished. Close to Maxwell food centre, the tourist part of Chinatown, but with 2 MRTs close by easy to get to everywhere else. We ended up having a room with a balcony so we didn't feel too closed in. A good price was found on a hotel booking site.

Good luck with your search!! Hotel booking sites are a great way to narrow down what you want from a hotel and TA a good source of what people thought of them!

Have fun researching :D

Hi tatabea,

You're going to get heaps of suggestions for where and what's best to stay in Singapore!! Everyone has their favourite spots.

Singapore is a modern city, clean and easy to get around. They have a fabulous transport system whether it be on the MRT, bus or by taxi. So you will never have trouble getting to the attractions. I always try to stay within easy walking distance of an MRT.

What are you looking for in a hotel. Do you want a swimming pool? Free wifi? Do you want to be right in the heart of a cultural area or a more shopping area? How much is inexpensive? So many questions......

Recently I have stayed in 2 very different hotels - the Viillage Bugis Hotel, close to the Arab quarter and an easy walk to little India, Bugis st shopping area and the MRT. Clean, basic, had everything we needed and good value.

In January I stayed in the heart of Chinatown at the Scarlet Hotel, a unique boutique hotel. Rooms are small, but beautifully furnished. Close to Maxwell food centre, the tourist part of Chinatown, but with 2 MRTs close by easy to get to everywhere else. We ended up having a room with a balcony so we didn't feel too closed in. A good price was found on a hotel booking site.

Good luck with your search!! Hotel booking sites are a great way to narrow down what you want from a hotel and TA a good source of what people thought of them!

Have fun researching :D

Thank you so much Wangeling Girl. I wish I knew more about Singapore to know what/where I want to be. Inexpensive to me is, hopefully, no more than $100 a day, but I don't know if that's possible. It's our first time to Asia and we know NOTHING. Yes, we want a pool; heard that's a must! We will be finishing a tour the beginning of March in Bangkok and have about a week before a cruise that leave from Singapore on March 17. We were going to take the train from BKK, but the more I read, it may be too difficult and scary for a couple of 60-some-year-old novices, so we'll probably fly down. How far is the airport from town? Should we take a tuk tuk? I'm not a shopper, more want to see cultural sights, but also like markets and food stalls. We don't know the neighborhoods so I'm having a hard time at hotel booking sights because they want to know what neighborhood we're looking for, and we don't know. Thanks for the two hotel names; I'll look them up. Appreciate your helpful response!

Thank you so much Wangeling Girl. I wish I knew more about Singapore to know what/where I want to be. Inexpensive to me is, hopefully, no more than $100 a day, but I don't know if that's possible. It's our first time to Asia and we know NOTHING. Yes, we want a pool; heard that's a must! We will be finishing a tour the beginning of March in Bangkok and have about a week before a cruise that leave from Singapore on March 17. We were going to take the train from BKK, but the more I read, it may be too difficult and scary for a couple of 60-some-year-old novices, so we'll probably fly down. How far is the airport from town? Should we take a tuk tuk? I'm not a shopper, more want to see cultural sights, but also like markets and food stalls. We don't know the neighborhoods so I'm having a hard time at hotel booking sights because they want to know what neighborhood we're looking for, and we don't know. Thanks for the two hotel names; I'll look them up. Appreciate your helpful response!

G'day again tatabea,

Thanks for the thanks! It's great when you can help someone out.

Changi Airport is roughly a 20-30 minute drive from the inner city. If you are first time travellers to Singapore or getting there in the evening I would suggest getting a taxi to your hotel. It's approx $20/30 Singapore, but the cars are so modern and clean. There are no tuk tuks in Singapore, but there are many in Bangkok and they add an exciting extra to your holiday if you try them out. Good fun ;) As you get used to being in Singapore I would definitely use the cheap,clean and safe public transport system especially the MRT and shanks pony (walking).

My experience from when looking for a hotel in Singapore for around $100, has been they tend to be hostels, in far out places (relatively) with no MRT close by or they are low * hotels. I now know for Singapore in a good location, that a good clean 3*+ 'inexpensive' hotel will about $150-200 AUS.

Areas to check out for hotels are - Bugis, Chinatown, Marina Bay, Orchard Rd or Clarke Quay. I have also tried the Ibis Bencoolen, or the Bayview hotel, both again clean, basic in great locations for transport, walking distance to many sights and places to eat. When you say you like food stalls, Singapore has the most fabulous hawker centres, Maxwells, Newton Circus, Lau Pa Sat, ect for cheap delicious food.

You have a year to figure it all out. If you can purchase a map of Singapore, (or google and print) do a list of everything you want to visit, then figure out where best suits you, I think you will be just fine.

It really is a people/visitor friendly place to stay and get around.

Cheers :D

Edited by wangeling gal

Unfortunately, hotels in Singapore tend to be rather pricey. Singapore is safe and easy to get around, so I wouldn't worry about different neighbourhoods.

Budget hotels tend to be independently run and some of them may be rather iffy, i.e. I don't know their quality.

For cheaper hotels that are good quality, maybe you want to take a look at Holiday Inn Express Singapore. Another possibility is Grand Mecure Roxy Hotel. Ibis Bencoolen and other Ibis hotels are also well reviewed.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

It's our first time to Asia and we know NOTHING. Yes, we want a pool; heard that's a must! We will be finishing a tour the beginning of March in Bangkok and have about a week before a cruise that leave from Singapore on March 17. We were going to take the train from BKK, but the more I read, it may be too difficult and scary for a couple of 60-some-year-old novices, so we'll probably fly down.

I would strongly discourage you to take a train from BKK to Singapore. The distance is quite far. Already, it is an almost 2 hour flight. Just fly into Singapore from Bangkok. Much easier.

If you want to save on airfares, take budget carriers. Air Asia is one possibility. Alternatively Tiger, or FlyScoot.

My friend stayed at the Singapore YMCA, its a regular hotel but very reasonable, and a good location.

http://www.ymcaih.com.sg/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d310344-Reviews-YMCA_One_Orchard-Singapore.html