My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

I have booked novotel Clarke quay after help here. I think we are paying something like $150AUD for a night after our cruise. On the hotel website I booked it says 2 mins walk to MRT station but reading further it looks quite a bit further.

We have decided as there are 4 in our group we will just taxi from the ship to the hotel. It is on a main road and lots of bus routes so hoping we will be able to get around ok.

The accor brand of hotel are pretty standard all around the world so I feel we will know what we are getting having stayed at many.

We will be there early May so I can tell you more if you want to wait til we are back.

I have booked novotel Clarke quay after help here. I think we are paying something like $150AUD for a night after our cruise. On the hotel website I booked it says 2 mins walk to MRT station but reading further it looks quite a bit further.

We have decided as there are 4 in our group we will just taxi from the ship to the hotel. It is on a main road and lots of bus routes so hoping we will be able to get around ok.

The accor brand of hotel are pretty standard all around the world so I feel we will know what we are getting having stayed at many.

We will be there early May so I can tell you more if you want to wait til we are back.

Welcome to Singapore!

I think it would be more than a 2 minute walk to the nearest MRT station, but close enough. That area (Clarke Quay) is a pretty happening place, so it should be fun.

We stayed five days post cruise in Singapore. It is very easy to use the metro in Singapore. We brought an EZ Card for $22 Singapore (5 dollars was for the card and the test for the fares which is automatically deducted from the card.) It worked great. We were able to get money back that we didn't use at the Airport metro minus the $5 charge for the card which you can keep and re top if you make it back here. If you have just one port day ..you can buy a one day travel pass for the metro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Home yesterday from my cruise which finished in Singapore. Had a lovely time in Singapore, will definately go back for a longer stay.

We bought the tourist pass plus, it was great to use but a real pain in the neck to go to purchase. It is only available at one location which was in a large shopping complex near orchard MRT. If anyone wants to buy it make sure you know the exact location of the tourist office. It is hidden away behind the victoria station store. We left the ship about 8.15 am got the taxi $13 to novotel clarke quay. Checked into hotel, had a coffee, then headed off to purchase our tickets. It took 2 hours from the time we left the hotel, walked to the clarke quay station, train to orchard, found the tourist office, then had to get to the closest stop to actually get onto the bus which was another train ride. The funvee bus info on the internet is incorrect. The bus is only every hour rather than 30 mins on the website (unless they have updated the website since i left mid april). Due to the hourly timetable it wouldnt be practical to get on and off. We did a lap sitting inside the bus, went back to our hotel for an hour r and r, then did it again on the top deck which was much better. the windows on the lower level were covered with advertising. the last bus left us at chinatown around 5.15pm so we walked through chinatown and then got the MRT back to the hotel. The next day was the best part of our pass - we got the MRT to the big wheel, and went on the river boat ride. Now that was very enjoyable, relaxing. The ticket included a return trip on the boat but we got off at clarke quay central and then took the train to sentosa island. our ticket also took us to the airport.

For 2 days transport around singapore other than the taxi from port to hotel it cost us $30 each, $26 for the travelpass plus and $4 to get onto sentosa island via the sentosa express.

The novotel was great, not a 2 min walk to the station but an easy 10 min stroll or bus from almost across the road. We walked other than one time when we were just too tired and hot so waited for the bus.

The rooms are very spacious - particularly after spending 16 nights in an inside cabin. The bathroom had a double shower. Next to the hotel is a shopping centre with mc donalds, subway, starbucks, various japanese and chinese eateries, a pharmacy and large japanese supermarket.Adjoining the hotel is a 7-11 store. The supermarket wasnt open when I went about 8.30am which surprised me but I just bought something at 7-11.

As well as a full buffet breakfast the novotel had a couple of different eat and run options. croissant, piece of fruit and coffee for $7 and an extra $3 for a fruit juice and yoghurt. After cruise eating for 16 nights I was very happy not to have a lot of food. Subway was just fine and they sell soup too.

Next time I go to Singapore I will know where to buy the travelpass plus but I cannot for the life of me understand why it can only be purchased at the one location. The travelcard can be purchased at several MRT stations. I did consider buying online prior to leaving home but even by doing that I would have to go to exchange the voucher for the ticket at the travel office. I emailed them to check I was reading the info correctly and they confirmed I had to go to the office.

There are other companies running hoho bus trips but we didnt see any that included public transport and the boat trip.

We found using taxis in Singapoe worked best for us. Example, we paid about $25 S from the airport to our hotel, then $15 S from hotel to port. Tips included in that cost.

We walked quite a bit, like from our hotel to the Botanical Gardens and from downtown to our hotel (about 3 miles, but we walk a lot at home)

:confused:Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel? We'll be there for about a week before a cruise next year. I've tried looking online, but don't know the neighborhoods/ areas that are convenient to the sights.

Have you tried airbnb.com

We have booked an apartment through them at a very reasonable price and the complex has a pool and gym.

• 2 weeks later...
Where do you buy the tickets for the Ho Ho ??

I always go to Suntec City to get tickets for the HO Ho bus. It is where it starts and finishes from. You have 2 bus routes Red and Yellow, included in the one price, which can show you all the major landmarks throughout the city.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on a cruise that ends in Singapore mid September. My flight home is not until 10:30pm that night. My thought was to book transfer to the airport with the ship and store my luggage at the airport and then head out to explore. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I do want to go to the gardens - but would also like to see other things in Singapore since I have the entire day. I am thinking taking a taxi from one place to the next may get to be pretty expensive. Anyone know of a better option?

First...here is some info about luggage storage at Changi Airport: http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/facilities-and-services/baggage-services

Secondly...you can easily get around by public transport in Singapore (MRT), however, if you aren't comfortable with that, here as a possible option:

http://www.citytours.sg/singapore-1-day-attractions-city-pass.html

You will also see a link to a suggested one-day itinerary down the page

• 2 weeks later...

Singapore in Transit

12/29/14

Had a great day in Singapore today. We had already spent 4 days here and still had many places to visit. Before we used an MRT pass to get around the city, this time we hired a private driver who took us to all the places we missed, and some places we didn't know about.

Khuhan (khuhan.sg at gmail.com) met us at 8am in his comfortable Mercedes limo cab and off we went to conquer Singapore. The weather predicted rain so I created an itinerary that took that into consideration however, it really never rained. Lesson learned, lose expectations and use a knowledgeable driver!

How did you first learn about Khuhan, and make your initial arrangements with him?

No replies, no interest - I shouldn't put these information postings up on Cruise Critic, unless someone asks for it.

Sorry didn't see your thread until I just booked my China trip. I am soooo grateful for your posting and everyone's eventual responses. I'm looking forward to trying to fit in as many of your suggestions as possible, especially the walking tours and the ice cream vendor!!::D

Knit wits - just finished a p&o cruise from Singapore to Brisbane - en-route calling into semerang, Bali, Komodo island, Dili - East Timor, alotau at Milne bay Papua New Guinea, then doing island ( swim) - very interesting locations.

Of course, we stayed with our son & family in Singapore for 4 days before the cruise. We even got some stand up paddle boarding in at Tanjung beach, Sentosa Island, peaceful beach away from the other beaches which get loved to death. Also had a nice meal at Keith's cafe, Sentosa cove.

• 2 weeks later...

For something a bit different, try the Canopy walk at Kent Ridge Park.

[YOUTUBE]VuNBiDM7NgA[/YOUTUBE]

I drove there and here is the driving cam video.

[YOUTUBE]7BhoXPhLsNc[/YOUTUBE]

Here is more info on Kent Ridge Park, from wiki.

Kent Ridge Park is a 47-hectare public park in western Singapore, between the National University of Singapore and the Singapore Science Park. Due to its undisturbed habitat and abundant plant life, it is a popular venue for bird-watchers and eco-tourists.

During the Second World War, a hill in the park was the site of one of the last and fiercest battles fought by the Malay Regiment against the invading Japanese army, the Battle of Bukit Chandu (also known as the Battle of Pasir Panjang), 12–14 February 1942.[1]

The park was officially opened in 1954, and was gazetted by the National Heritage Board as one of 11 World War II sites in Singapore in 1995.[2] It is one of over 300 parks managed by Singapore's National Parks Board, NParks.[3]

• 3 weeks later...