Fear of Heights

We have booked a family cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas in July 2014, my son is a little frightened of heights, I am wondering if there are elevators around the ship without glass to move up and down the decks, he is fine when his feet are firmly on the floor just all the glass that scares him.

Any help would be of great assistance.

Regards

R

We have booked a family cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas in July 2014, my son is a little frightened of heights, I am wondering if there are elevators around the ship without glass to move up and down the decks, he is fine when his feet are firmly on the floor just all the glass that scares him.

Regards

R

The forward elevators have no glass.

Looking at the deck plans it shows elevators mid and aft ship. I am pretty sure the are enclosed. though I have only sailed on Carnival so far.

Just can't imagine RCI ships doesn't have those also. I'm sure the experienced RCI cruisers will give you the answer.

Looking at the deck plans it shows elevators mid and aft ship. I am pretty sure the are enclosed. though I have only sailed on Carnival so far.

Just can't imagine RCI ships doesn't have those also. I'm sure the experienced RCI cruisers will give you the answer.

The elevators at the centrum are glass. The elevators near the theater are not glass.

We've been on Brilliance twice and I really can't remember exactly but Ithink there's some enclosed lifts in the centrum.the other side is certainly glass with the port side lifts glass overlooking the sea which is stunning. The forward lifts next to the theatre etc are enclosed.

My husband is petrified of heights. When we went on A cruise ship the first time (not RC) he was clinging to any rail for the first couple of day (he looked like he was going to get on all fours, looked very odd in a dinner suit!). By day three he was walking around on all levels without a care in the world. The sea helped (I think psychologically it was a safe landing!) and it has made his fear much better long term. He even managed the glass elevators on our last RC cruise although was a bit sweaty by the end of it).

There are alternatives. He can walk up a floor at a time. Take a rest. Just start early!

I also have a problem with heights, though typically being in an enclosed space, even if it is glass, doesn't bother me as much. At times, I may turn my back to the glass so I don't see on an elevator.

Ships vary, of course, and I've not been on Brilliance, but please be aware there may be other areas on upper decks with views to down below (inside and outside) that could be unsettling for your son if he were to get too close to the railing. Even some of the gangways to get onto the ship may cause a little distress, with the feeling of being high up with not much around.

Forewarned is forearmed, and we all want the cruise to be a great experience for your whole family.

I am afraid of heights and don't like glass elevators usually don't have a choice. I make a point to stand by the front of the elevator facing a wall...anywhere but next to the glass. it helps

I get used to the balcony height usually after the first day and try to book decks below 10

getting on the ship in the glass walkway is the worst. My husband holds my hand and drags me the whole way. I keep my eyes shielded as best I can. That part is terrifying for me:o

hope these tips help

I,too, have this fear, and one of the worst places is going across the walkway

to get on the ship---there is a portion that is only floor, with the rest glass.

Also I have a problem with escalators. On them DH gets on and I hold onto him

and close my eyes. He tells me the time to get off and I open my eyes.

Any time recently that I've been on the glass walkway to the ship, I've had

someone pushing me in a wheelchair, so I can just close my eyes. We are

about to purchase a mobility scooter, and I don't know how I'll manage that

part.

You may do a little better on the scooter as you will be lower to the ground & have the security of being on 3 or 4 wheels & holding on to something. Plus if there aren't many people on the gangway you can go much faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most ships have enclosed elevators, except for the panoramic that take you to the Viking Crown.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Since the OP specifically asked about the Brilliance, the information that Bob (clarea) posted accurately describes the elevator situation on that ship. The forward elevators are enclosed while the elevators in the Centrum both looking out to the ocean and looking out into the Centrum are glass.

Edited by negc

I am commend you as a parent, most parents these days would just bring their kid into the elevator and allow them to scream in the "meltdown scream of pain" for the whole elevator ride. Thank you.

Hey, we gotta face our fears, no?

Regards

R

If he has to get on one of the glass elevators because of location and where you are going, have him look at the floor the whole time you are waiting for and getting on the elevator, and then turn and face the front of the elevator once he gets on.

I still have to edge up to the railing on any balcony we have with our cabins. I have to place my hand on the railing, then walk over to look over or out.

I'm a complete wuss about heights.