What's happened to Freddie?

Bonnie J.

I personally don't like "mascots" like Freddy or the sport's mascots, but always saw Freddy around the ship and we got off the Splendor yesterday and I was wondering the same thing because I didn't see him. On our trip they replaced him with Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head. :eek:

I remember reading somewhere that Freddie was "too scary" for the kids - the towel animals where on their way in to replace him. :cool:

I'm really sorry if we contributed to the loss of Freddy. :o My four-year-old burst into tears when she saw him at the Family Dance Party and refused to get anywhere near the dance floor. She was given a medal for being "best dressed," which was an awesome way to turn a sad moment into a happy memory. We have a Funship Freddy book and tried to turn him into something fun, not terrifying, but on our next cruise, she wanted to make sure we stayed far away from any Freddy sightings. I assumed it was just my lovable but weird kid and that other kids loved Freddy.

If they want mascots, maybe they should just dress up a human being in a costume with a bit of makeup. Princess of course could do a princess, maybe Carnival could have a man and woman who wear colorful outfits and and make up and wander the ship greeting people. Perhaps children wouldn't be so afraid. I observed a bunch of little kids (maybe 2-4 yo) who were TERRIFIED of Mr. Potato Head when he was on Lido to have pictures taken. They burst out in tears. Not something I would be thrilled about if I had a small child!

I'm really sorry if we contributed to the loss of Freddy. :o My four-year-old burst into tears when she saw him at the Family Dance Party and refused to get anywhere near the dance floor. She was given a medal for being "best dressed," which was an awesome way to turn a sad moment into a happy memory. We have a Funship Freddy book and tried to turn him into something fun, not terrifying, but on our next cruise, she wanted to make sure we stayed far away from any Freddy sightings. I assumed it was just my lovable but weird kid and that other kids loved Freddy.

I am SURE she was not the only one! :o

I've not seen "Ellie the Elephant" but to me she looks creepier than Funship Freddy. The SIL and I had a ball making up stories about Freddy and what he does as night for fun! But then we're very irreverent! LOL!:D Don't think we'd have as much fun making up stories about Ellie! LOL! But you never know!:D

Anything will scare little kids when they are either very large, strange or getting into your face.

Some kids are scared by Santa Claus, Easter Bunny , Thomas the Tank Train and etc.

I am sure that many are also afraid of the giant rodent. 🐭

🌅🚢🇺🇸

We just got off of the Fantasy.. No Freddie or giant towel animals there.. They did give the kids the Fun Ship Freddie books and red shirts (a few of the younger ones won Freddie, neither of my boys did but I was so glad, even in plush he looks scary)...

They did have Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head though at the port entrance for Nassau and then hanging out around the boat..

Rarasnake

We have cruised the Fantasy a lot but not since New Years. Do they still only have two not so good guitar players and what used to be the show band? That's one reason we haven't been back.

I guess the other 'thing' I saw was Mr. Potatohead but had no idea that's what he was!

My boys will be so bummed if this is all true. They don't even ask to go on a cruise. They say, "can we go see Freddy"?

My son refers to Carnival as the "Fun Ship Freddy Cruise". He has never been afraid of Freddy ever since he started cruising when he was 12 months old.

Now, those towel animals are a different story. They are creepy. IMHO opinion, the look like members of the KKK in their white robes roaming the ship. :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Rarasnake

We have cruised the Fantasy a lot but not since New Years. Do they still only have two not so good guitar players and what used to be the show band? That's one reason we haven't been back.

I guess the other 'thing' I saw was Mr. Potatohead but had no idea that's what he was!

Oh yes, they were still there. My DH just walked by and refused to even sit down and listen to them because they were horrible. We learned to avoid that area when they were playing...

Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head stick together now. They are at the port entrance/exit areas right when you get off the boat and have your picture taken (I have no idea why anyone would go to the Bahamas, just to have your picture taken with them though) but they are usually walking around the P deck on the last sea night. My girls seen them but the boys didn't get arrive until after they walked around the corner (which I was glad because I didn't want them to have nightmares about their potato heads growing to adult size)..