Questions for Kween Karen

Hi Karen,

I have been re-reading your wonderful trip blogs and have a few questions if you wouldn't mind. Every time I read your blogs I am so amazed at the photos, information and the fun you have and I am really looking forward to you next Voyage in September. Will you be doing a blog then?

I asked you once before but I cannot find where I wrote the answer (I know senility is setting in ...lol). What is the name of the software you use to write your blogs? Does it include all the wonderful and colorful pictures you include on your blog pages (the cartoon ones)?

In reading your 2009 blog, you wore a very nice green and blue tracksuit and I was wondering what brand it was? I just love it!

Along the same kind of lines, I love the beautiful formal dresses you wear ...the ones with matching long sleeves jackets. Can you tell me what brands they are? There was a red dress with kind of see through black jacket and another was ?dark blue with a dark/light blue jacket.

The arts and crafts projects that you create while on your cruises....are those classes free or is there a charge?

I hope you and your lovely family are doing well!

Edited by alibabacruisers

Following!

Alibabacruisers, can you post the link of the blog please?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

http://dreamcruise.kweenkaren.com for the 2009 blog.

http://southamerica.kweenkaren.com for 2011 blog.

http://world.kweenkaren.com for 2013 blog.

Edited by alibabacruisers

I asked you once before but I cannot find where I wrote the answer (I know senility is setting in ...lol). What is the name of the software you use to write your blogs? Does it include all the wonderful and colorful pictures you include on your blog pages (the cartoon ones)?

She used Microsoft Publisher 2007 to create the individual daily reports and she outputs them to Adobe Acrobat PDFs. (If you want to see this yourself, download a page and open it in Acrobat Reader or the full version of Acrobat if you have it. Then look at the Document Properties panel > Description tab. You'll see the Application listed as Microsoft Office Publisher 2007. You will also see Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 listed as the PDF producer. You can find the Document Properties dialog box under the File menu, or you can press Ctrl+D.)

MS Publisher contains a fair amount of clip art, but I don't know if everything she uses comes from the clip art collection included with the software. She may use graphics from somewhere else. All of the fancy text effects on her pages can be made in Publisher using MS WordArt. (It's in MS Word as well. Just search your software's help file for WordArt to learn how to use it.)

The web pages - the pages with the links to the individual PDFs - are built with one of the Microsoft applications, but it's not clear exactly. It is, however, created with the Internet Explorer 6 version of the web page generator. If you look at the web page source code you see:

meta content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name="GENERATOR"

She used Microsoft Publisher 2007 to create the individual daily reports and she outputs them to Adobe Acrobat PDFs. (If you want to see this yourself, download a page and open it in Acrobat Reader or the full version of Acrobat if you have it. Then look at the Document Properties panel > Description tab. You'll see the Application listed as Microsoft Office Publisher 2007. You will also see Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 listed as the PDF producer. You can find the Document Properties dialog box under the File menu, or you can press Ctrl+D.)

MS Publisher contains a fair amount of clip art, but I don't know if everything she uses comes from the clip art collection included with the software. She may use graphics from somewhere else. All of the fancy text effects on her pages can be made in Publisher using MS WordArt. (It's in MS Word as well. Just search your software's help file for WordArt to learn how to use it.)

The web pages - the pages with the links to the individual PDFs - are built with one of the Microsoft applications, but it's not clear exactly. It is, however, created with the Internet Explorer 6 version of the web page generator. If you look at the web page source code you see:

Wow, that sounds so technical! So it looks like I need to check out MS Publisher, MS Wordart (at least I have seen a little of that) and the last part which sounds like too much....lol. Thank you for trying to explain it to me!

You can probably do a decent job with a word processing program, but if your computer shipped with Office or something similar, look to see if you have a page layout or presentation program. The Acrobat output function is as easy as saving or printing.

You can probably do a decent job with a word processing program, but if your computer shipped with Office or something similar, look to see if you have a page layout or presentation program. The Acrobat output function is as easy as saving or printing.

Yes, I found in MS Word that I can do some but trying to learn the way around the place is a challenge. Then tried to create a Clipart folder and been searching for clipart...what fun! Thank you for your help!

I love how this sounds: technical and professional.

Too bad I don't understand the language.

Must be nice to know so much!

Yes, I found in MS Word that I can do some but trying to learn the way around the place is a challenge. Then tried to create a Clipart folder and been searching for clipart...what fun! Thank you for your help!

If you have the installation discs for Microsoft Office, the Clip art collection is in the Extras. It's not installed by default.

If you have the installation discs for Microsoft Office, the Clip art collection is in the Extras. It's not installed by default.

When I go to the document under clip art there is nothing there. So I found my disk and reloaded it but I don't see anything different. During the process there was a list of things but I did not see extras or clip art anywhere.

Well, I was playing around with organizing clip art and somehow images appeared. They don't come up as fast as other stuff and the images are not great so I am glad I started a folder with images I found earlier.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Well, I was playing around with organizing clip art and somehow images appeared. They don't come up as fast as other stuff and the images are not great so I am glad I started a folder with images I found earlier.

Thank you for trying to help me.

If you decide to spring for a Clipart collection, make sure to look for vector format clipart. (Windows Metafile format.) at scales better. Are you looking for something specific? I have hundreds of thousands of pieces of clipart and might have what you need.

If you decide to spring for a Clipart collection, make sure to look for vector format clipart. (Windows Metafile format.) at scales better. Are you looking for something specific? I have hundreds of thousands of pieces of clipart and might have what you need.

What does vector format mean? When you pick a clipart and then download it to your document, can you change the size?

By spring, do you mean that you have to pay for it?

Just trying to build a collection for if I decide to try my hand a making a cruise blog/scrapbook. I spent a lot of yesterday just looking thru "collections" and picking ones that I thought may come in handy.

What does vector format mean? When you pick a clipart and then download it to your document, can you change the size?

By spring, do you mean that you have to pay for it?

Just trying to build a collection for if I decide to try my hand a making a cruise blog/scrapbook. I spent a lot of yesterday just looking thru "collections" and picking ones that I thought may come in handy.

Vector format means that the graphics are made of shapes and lines. This contrasts with bitmap graphics which are composed of dots. Vectors I can be scaled (resized) without a loss in quality. Bitmaps pixelate when you change their size, particularly when you make them larger. Let me whip up an image example later this morning. It's easier to understand when you see a picture.

By "spring," I meant purchase.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Since this picture is cropped off at the sides, it's probably only worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 627 words.

If you look at the image below, you will see that we started with two identically sized images. The image on the left is in vector format, while the image on the right is in bitmap format. (For our advanced students, the left image is a Windows Metafile or WMF format. The one on the right is a standard bitmap or BMP format file.)

At 100%, the images look the same. When you enlarge them to 200%, you can start to see the pixels in the bitmap version, while the vector version stays nice and crisp. When we blow them up to 400%, you can really see the dots in the bitmap version. The vector version remains sharp and clear.

More exciting information after the image....

vector-bitmap.gif

• Q: What format do you recommend looking for when you are collecting/buying clipart?
  • A: I would recommend WMF format clip art of you are a Windows user, since they can be used in all of your MS Office programs without a problem. You may also see the file type EMF which is Extended Metafile. It will work as well. If you have graphics programs on your machine, look at their help files to see what types of files are supported by your programs.

• Q: When I zoom in really far on your image above, even the vector graphics look pixellated. Why?
  • A: Good eye! In order to display the images here on Cruise Critic, I needed to output the image to s supported format. I chose GIF or Graphics Interchange Format.

gif.gif

Wow!! All of this is waaaaaaay over my head!! I need to take a class!

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not something you really need to know unless you are planning to make custom graphics for something.

Has anyone heard from Kween Karen? I haven't seen her on the board since her last World Cruise blog. Hope she's OK.

Karen is not a regular poster on this board, so I wouldn't think anything of it because we haven't heard from her.