Cost per hour for cruise.

I wanted to just find out the cost per hour for my cruise in February 2015 for two people.

The cruise cost $3564.00 which includes gratuities and trip insurance with a balcony. 14 day cruise out of Sydney is 336 hours. That makes this cost $10.60 per hour.

The airfare from WA to Sydney is $3520.00 with luggage and one meal each way. Flying time is 34 hours. That makes this cost $103.33 per hour.

Hotel in Sydney for two nights is $249.00 with no food. 42 hours with nothing else. That makes this cost 5.92 per hour.

What is the best deal per hour?

Edited by chet the jet

I wanted to just find out the cost per hour for my cruise in February 2015 for two people.

The cruise cost $3564.00 which includes gratuities and trip insurance with a balcony. 14 day cruise out of Sydney is 336 hours. That makes this cost $10.60 per hour.

The airfare from WA to Sydney is $3520.00 with luggage and one meal each way. Flying time is 34 hours. That makes this cost $103.33 per hour.

Hotel in Sydney for two nights is $249.00 with no food. 42 hours with nothing else. That makes this cost 5.92 per hour.

This sounds like a word problem on the SAT's. I don't do math on Sundays :rolleyes:

Edited by BND

Why is this important?

5 in one small cabin?

We have stayed in a family interior and now we are going to be in a family oceanview. My kids are 8, 10, and 13. Both rooms are more than 260sq ft and give us plenty of space. Of course we all have to share a bathroom which can be a tad bit of a problem but until both the girls really start getting into the hair and make up thing it is not that bad.

I did pull up a Youtube video of a cabin for 5 on carnival and it was extremely small. It would never work for us. We did take a video that we plan to put on Youtube because I could not find anything that showed me a true feeling of the room. You would be surprised how nice the setup is.

Some of us are just number crunchers at heart - that's why :)

I always need to assess the per day costs. It's a good way when comparing various cruises at booking time to help make a decision.

I think if I allowed my neuroticisms to take me to hourly I'd start feeling like I needed to get every hours worth and wouldn't sleep all week.

Judy

This is what I like about this site. Some times it just has to put something different hear that people never write about. You always see things about the food being bad, chair hogs, kids being bad, crew is bad and the drinks are all to high priced. I was an accountant for more the 40 years so that is why I like numbers. I have a spred sheet with the cost is going to be for my trips and it works great for me. Sorry if this is not your thing.

I tend to go for the per day thing also. Per hour is a bit uneven as you sleep for many hours, then there are the meals and drinks. Daily you can get a comparison of value. We know that trips to New Zealand are more expensive than trips to the South Pacific out of Australia. Flights to Asia, Alaska and America add a lot of extra money to the cruise, so I would add that cost and then still come back to a per day costing.

When it comes down to it though, we prefer the New Zealand cruise over the South Pacific islands, but if the per day was attractive enough, then maybe...it comes down to what you personally perceive as good value for your dollar. If you want really cheap, staying home is probably the best per day rate, and you are still paying for many items even when you are away elsewhere. :)

I can't see a comparison on a plane trip verses a hotel stay as being relevant per hour, but maybe you are seeing something differently. And that is OK too!

This is what I like about this site. Some times it just has to put something different hear that people never write about. You always see things about the food being bad, chair hogs, kids being bad, crew is bad and the drinks are all to high priced. I was an accountant for more the 40 years so that is why I like numbers. I have a spred sheet with the cost is going to be for my trips and it works great for me. Sorry if this is not your thing.

Hi Chet.

Thanks for the explanation (of sorts)

I would have though if you've number crunched for 40+ years! the last thing you'll want to do is a spread sheet of holiday costs.

Personally, I'm quite keen to know the price per day, but ultimately, if the cruise cost (+ drinks package and tips) is do-able then I do it.

Enjoy your sums :)

Well done chet for putting a different type of thread on the boards, some others who have posted here are just so negative. I reckon if you cant say something nice then shut the heck up!

We are off to the USA for 7 weeks over xmas coming, with three cruises, airfares from Australia, hotels, food, entertainment, transfers etc etc, our hourly price comes in at approx $16 per hour (yes that took me about 30 seconds to work out).

I always make a spreadsheet comparing costs of vacations. Then I break it down by day / person. Not sure hour helps terribly much because some of my costs are estimations. So, I think I would be out of precision going hourly. Usually, I am doing the exercise to compare between options anyways, so they use the same assumptions.

I also don't get the point of the exercise. It's an expensive vacation, stay on land if you want something more reasonable.

I can see doing a quick analysis of a 'price per day' of a cruise for comparison purposes in comparing cruise options....that is about it.

As far as a cruise being expensive....I believe it offers great value for the dollar spent. From nighttime entertainment to included food options, it is hard to get a better value. I can walk onto a ship and spend very little extra $ (for budgeting, I can prepay lots of things from excursions to extra specialty dinners) or spend very little (on excursions and specialty dining) and still have a great time.

I can see several places without the headache of packing and unpacking, or I can have the ship to myself when others leave to go ashore. The vacation I want is at my fingertips....fun, sun, excitement, enjoyment, entertainment coupled with no cooking, cleaning, worrying for a few days.....its a good buy for the buck(s).

What is the

best deal per hour?

Never looked at the cost that way.........

and

Probably never will.......too busy waiting to cruise.

I just want to cruise.

Sea Ya