Classic Caribbean vs. Yachtsman Itinerary

hlalonde

Planning to book our second Windstar adventure - last year we did the Yachtsman itinerary - which was amazing. We were trying to decide between redoing the Yachtsman (due to our love of the BVIs) - or should we try the Classic Caribbean itinerary - has anyone any advice? Based on our first experience on a Windstar vessel, either will be amazing. My husband swears he will never set foot on a large cruise ship again after last year.

We are planning a trip with the DD in Feb (not booked yet) and have decided on Classic primarily due to the stops at both St Lucia and St Barts, her boyfriend's name is Bart. We have seen St. Kitts on a previous adventure and it is OK. This trip also stops in Nevis - and Dominica - all places on our list to finish out the eastern Carib. We liked the variety.

I do have 2 related questions since you have done this before from St Martin. 1) from which marina area does the ship depart? 2) hotel options for a pre/post night stay?

We are planning a trip with the DD in Feb (not booked yet) and have decided on Classic primarily due to the stops at both St Lucia and St Barts, her boyfriend's name is Bart. We have seen St. Kitts on a previous adventure and it is OK. This trip also stops in Nevis - and Dominica - all places on our list to finish out the eastern Carib. We liked the variety.

I do have 2 related questions since you have done this before from St Martin. 1) from which marina area does the ship depart? 2) hotel options for a pre/post night stay?

We have been to St. Lucia and St. Barts on previous trips so am really torn but thank you for your feedback. I believe there is only one cruise port in St. Martin - it is on the Dutch side and not far from the airport in Phillipsburg. There are many options - this year we stayed at Mary's Beach Boon resort which is on the beach next to the airport (surprisingly, we did not hear a lot of planes) The resort is in my mind a throw back to the 70's, but we loved it - great little restaurant, and it kicks off your vacation as you are less than 10 steps to a fairly quiet beach - I believe we paid about $350.00 for one night.

We stayed 3-nites, post-cruise, at Sonesta Beach Mahoe Bay in St Maarten.

The rooms were OK, but the meals and drinks were good and plentiful.

This is an all-inclusive property that is fairly close to the port. The taxi ride was approx. $25-30 for two.

Tip...if you do choose this hotel, make sure you are up early and place your towels, books, etc on the lounge chairs. They fill up very quickly.

Since we were traveling so far from the west coast we did them both last Dec back to back. Loved staying on board between cruises...Stayed at the Little Divi for just one night so we would not worry about missing the boat. Not a great place but reasonably priced and fine for an overnight. And you can see the marina from there. Actually did the Yachtsman another time a few years ago on Wind Spirit out of St Thomas. If I went again I would choose the Yachtsman because I liked the overnights in port. But if I could I would do a B to B again. Hubby does not like hotel resorts but loves being aboard the yachts od Windstar.

We have done Yachtsman twice and loved it. Due to our schedule we will be trying the Classic Caribbean this time.

We have stayed at the Holland House in Phillpsburg both times and were very pleased. Rates were pretty good and included breakfast. I actually got the best price by booking directly with the hotel. It is right on the beach, plenty of shopping and 5 minutes to the pier.

We did both the Classic and Yachtsman as a B2B in December 2012 on the Wind Surf. Both were fantastic but we enjoyed the Yachtsman a little more because of the overnights in the ports.

We stayed at the Holland House, which was very nice, one night before the cruise and took the water taxi to the port.

Thank you for your replies - it sounds like we may just repeat the yachtsman - we too, loved the overnights last year. Will definitely check out Holland House earlier - we tried to stay there last year but they were completely booked.

I don't seem to find this info, so I'll ask this group, What time do we have to be on the ship on departure date. Is this like the other cruises, check-in opens at like 11:00 and stays open until they sail. do they really sail at 7pm ??

we are considering flying in day of departure, plane scheduled to arrive at like noon. . . one would think there would be enough time to get across the island in time ? ?

:confused:

Since we are on the west coast, we are arriving a day and a half before departure on 10 Jan. Staying at the Holland House this time, we used little Divi last time. Its unlikely your flight would be delayed so much you would miss the departure but you never know. Plus we get to adjust to the 3 hr time change before boarding. Its just a 15 or 20 min cab ride to the pier from the airport. On our first Windstar cruise from the Barbados, we used their air and they held the ship for a small group of us who arrived a couple of hours late. We departed sometime after 10 pm.

On our cruises out of both St. Martin and Barbados, check-in did not start until 1:00 with all aboard set for one hour prior to departure. Yes, they do set sail at 7:00.

As long as you do not encounter any flight delays, you will have plenty of time with a noon arrival.