Regal/Royal vs Allure/Oasis

Kaibocan

While I have not sailed on the Oasis or Allure, I have sailed on the Royal Princess. With what I've read about the Oasis/Allure combined with my personal experiences on the Royal, I'd choose the RCL ships. They might not be for me, but with being bigger and RCL's overall design, there are just so many more options on RCL vs Princess. From dining options to leisure I believe RCL wins out over Princess. The biggest thing to me is the various cabin choices and the number of different dining options.....

Bob

Has anyone sailed on both? How do they compare?

I appreciate any input!

I'll tell you in mid-July. :cool:

Loved the Allure. The ship is a destination in itself. The entertainment goes beyond normal cruise line entertainment and so does the choice of dining venues. We are only going on the Royal Princess because of the St Petersburg, Russia and Baltic itinerary. That doesn't mean we won't enjoy it, but are expecting more of a normal cruise type situation.

I'll know more after a week on the Allure with our grandson in August. We booked an Owners Suite on the Allure and it will be interesting to compare it with our suite experience onboard the Royal.

This will be our first cruise on RCI and with the Allure we're expecting a lot to keep our grandson busy. It appears to be a wonderful ship for family cruising with young children...our grandson is 13.

I'm keeping my dining expectations on the low side as I've read and heard that it doesn't approach what we have experienced on Princess. We're going with an open mind and will just have to decide for ourselves.

So far, I like being able to book entertainment in advance on the RCI website. Specialty dining can also be booked in advance online.

I'll post a comparison here after we return...

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

While I have not sailed on the Oasis or Allure, I have sailed on the Royal Princess. With what I've read about the Oasis/Allure combined with my personal experiences on the Royal, I'd choose the RCL ships. They might not be for me, but with being bigger and RCL's overall design, there are just so many more options on RCL vs Princess. From dining options to leisure I believe RCL wins out over Princess. The biggest thing to me is the various cabin choices and the number of different dining options.....

Bob

Bob, you should consider trying the Allure. They might not be for you, but you have to try to find out. I really believe that they got it right with the neighborhood concept and with the entertainment reservation system. You never feel crowded or with too many others at once. The flow of people and crowds is mastered to a science. There is also something for everyone.

I'll know more after a week on the Allure with our grandson in August. We booked an Owners Suite on the Allure and it will be interesting to compare it with our suite experience onboard the Royal.

This will be our first cruise on RCI and with the Allure we're expecting a lot to keep our grandson busy. It appears to be a wonderful ship for family cruising with young children...our grandson is 13.

I'm keeping my dining expectations on the low side as I've read and heard that it doesn't approach what we have experienced on Princess. We're going with an open mind and will just have to decide for ourselves.

So far, I like being able to book entertainment in advance on the RCI website. Specialty dining can also be booked in advance online.

I'll post a comparison here after we return...

Lew

Lew;

I'm looking forward to your thoughts about the Allure. I'm sure you and Nan will have a great time with family.

Off topic: Can you send me an email with your current email addy? Not sure if the one I have for you is current.

Bob, you should consider trying the Allure. They might not be for you, but you have to try to find out. I really believe that they got it right with the neighborhood concept and with the entertainment reservation system. You never feel crowded or with too many others at once. The flow of people and crowds is mastered to a science. There is also something for everyone.

I might look at it for a Europe cruise as I don't think I'd enjoy the hustle of a packed ship on a Caribbean itinerary. I'm actually looking at a lot of different itineraries/cruise lines for future cruises. The seven in a row on Princess , my experiences on the Royal, along with my overall perceptions of the decline of my cruise experience on Princess make me really want to look for something different. I'm even looking at Seabourn and Regent to see if I'd like a luxury line.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

the difference between princess and royal caribbean ships is the alternate dining option for a fee.Royal shortly will get rid of the main dining rooms and create 18 restaurants of which 5 are free and 13 are pay on their new mega class ships.

Is this the future of cruise lines?

long cruiser

I sailed on the Royal Princess and the Allure just a week apart last fall. They are very different experiences, but I enjoyed them both. There are several photos and posts detailing my thoughts about each starting with the first link below and then moving to newer posts in my blog (we were on the Royal Princess on 10/29/13 and the Allure on 11/10/14). To skip the diary of our days and only read my ship reviews, just read the posts at the other three links below.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/10/early-thoughts-on-royal-princess.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/10/thoughts-on-royal-princess-part-2.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/11/some-final-thoughts-on-royal-princess.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-allure-of-seas-good-and-not-so-good.html

I have sailed the Oasis and Allure with a repo on the Royal coming up in October.

As previously said the big girls are destinations on their own. I have researched the Royal and it seems the entertainment will not be anything like the Oasis and Allure. We prefer the Oasis to the Allure. We did like the shows more on the Oasis. :)

We sailed on Oasis three years ago and based on that experience we will never sail Royal Caribbean again! We will be sailing on Regal Princess next month so I can really compare the two then.

What happened that made you decide to never go back? (If you don't mind sharing)

Oasis...the most incredible ship I've sailed on. We were on her a week and weren't able to do everything or go everywhere, so we booked a week on the Allure. The only people I can't imagine NOT liking Oasis/Allure, are those who enjoy a strict traditional cruising experience. Ironically it was the least crowded cruise we've been on.

Someday I'd like to sail on the Oasis/Allure twins & one negative I've read is that a week is nowhere enough to experience everything they have to offer. ;) We occasionally sail on RCCL for family cruises but prefer Princess although if prices on the Oasis/Allure decrease we would like to experience them.

Two weeks ago I took my 53rd cruise on the Allure of the Seas and she was the best ship I ever been on!

Why don't I want to go again, simply because the Promenade Deck has the very same decor as her Freedom Class ships that I have been on so many times, just want a change of pace.

The specialty restaurants (we did not go to the main dining room at all) that we tried them all, were good, I can't say that any of them blew me away although I loved Vintages for lunch (tapas, meats, olives, cheeses, paella, etc) was our favorite. We are a family of 7 adults and we all agreed the best ship.

I want a change of scenery, and I have been on Princess in the past always had Princess on top of my list, right under RC but I may change my mind on this after cruising the Royal Princess.

I sailed on the Royal Princess and the Allure just a week apart last fall. They are very different experiences, but I enjoyed them both. There are several photos and posts detailing my thoughts about each starting with the first link below and then moving to newer posts in my blog (we were on the Royal Princess on 10/29/13 and the Allure on 11/10/14). To skip the diary of our days and only read my ship reviews, just read the posts at the other three links below.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/10/early-thoughts-on-royal-princess.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/10/thoughts-on-royal-princess-part-2.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/11/some-final-thoughts-on-royal-princess.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-allure-of-seas-good-and-not-so-good.html

I have sailed the Oasis and Allure with a repo on the Royal coming up in October.

As previously said the big girls are destinations on their own. I have researched the Royal and it seems the entertainment will not be anything like the Oasis and Allure. We prefer the Oasis to the Allure. We did like the shows more on the Oasis. :)

Thank you for sharing your links. I have been thinking about sailing either the Oasis or the Allure so enjoyed reading your thoughts. Was it just the entertainment on the Oasis that made you like it more than the Allure?

Thank you for sharing your links. I have been thinking about sailing either the Oasis or the Allure so enjoyed reading your thoughts. Was it just the entertainment on the Oasis that made you like it more than the Allure?

Are you leaning towards one more than the other? I really want to go on one of these ships.

We did a B2B on allure and a B2B on royal, They are totally different. For me, everything was better on Allure. And I prefer small ships. RC knows how to do mega ships. Princess is still learning. I would go back to Allure or Oasis and not to Royal or Regal. I still prefer Princess to Rc on most itineraries.

I'll echo a lot of what's already been said here. Oasis/Allure are the most amazing ships on which I've ever cruised. You cannot beat the entertainment and as nice as Royal/Regal look, they just aren't in the same league as Oasis/Allure. Nothing is.

Kaibocan....not even sure where to start with our experience. One afternoon while lying on loungers at one of the pools, my daughter moved her lounger several inches to get more sun and the woman on the lounger in front of my daughter took issue with my daughter moving her chair "into my spot" and proceeded to drop the headrest part of her lounger onto my daughters feet and ankles leaving her with a lot of bruising and soreness! Then while on RC's private island as i lay on a lounger three women walked by (totally made up and dripping with jewelry) and one of the women proceeded to blow her nose (no tissue used) all over the sand right by me. There were other issues but those were the two that stand out to me. I know I shouldn't base my decision on one RC cruise but after we made the switch to Princess we have been so happy!

I'll echo a lot of what's already been said here. Oasis/Allure are the most amazing ships on which I've ever cruised. You cannot beat the entertainment and as nice as Royal/Regal look, they just aren't in the same league as Oasis/Allure. Nothing is.

I agree. I loved the Oasis.

Are you leaning towards one more than the other? I really want to go on one of these ships.

I don't know enough about the slight differences but I am seeing people on the Royal boards mention they like the Oasis better than the Allure. I want to go on one as well just to see what it is like but then I also like feeling like I'm on a cruise ship which is why I love Princess. From what I can tell these two ships seem more like resorts.

I don't know enough about the slight differences but I am seeing people on the Royal boards mention they like the Oasis better than the Allure. I want to go on one as well just to see what it is like but then I also like feeling like I'm on a cruise ship which is why I love Princess. From what I can tell these two ships seem more like resorts.

What can you tell if you've never been on them? Probably not much.

I am elite on princess and diamond on rccl.

The entertainment is so so good on oasis. So much variety. Skating show is always a crowd favourite. I loved a boardwalk balcony. Could see the ocean and yet paid less than an ocean view balcony, the water show was amazing,

I loved getting on an elevator to go ashore. Pressing one button and it took me to escalators which without a line up I could get off the ship.

Lived the interactive boards at each end of the ship which I could just press to find out how to get somewhere of what was going on.

Loved the beds. Princess,s are like rocks.