Bottom Sheets - Fitted or Flat?

This may seem like an overly picky question to some, but I am admittedly very particular about bedding/sheets and don't like when the bottom sheet is a flat sheet that is just tucked in instead of a true fitted sheet with elastic.

Does RC, (specifically on the Navigator if it makes a difference), use flat or fitted sheets for the bottom sheet?

If it's flat, then I'll pack my own fitted sheet (like I did on previous Disney cruises), but I'd like to know if it's needed.

Thanks! :)

Like hotels and hospitals, it's much easier to make up beds using all flat sheets. Fitted sheets are really only found in homes. It's also much easier to fold, and store flat sheets.

At the risk of outing myself as extremely high maintenance, this is why I travel with my own sheets when I am sailing on a cruise from my homeport. I love the homey feel of my own high-thread count sheets! In fact, I have 2 sets that I bought on eBay that have a distinctive island design...one set in cool blue hues, and another set in the vibrant colors of the Caribbean. It's silly I know, but it adds a level of personal comfort to the cruise that makes it just about perfect! Of course I can only do this if we drive to the port. I can't justify the extra weight if we fly.

At the risk of outing myself as extremely high maintenance, this is why I travel with my own sheets when I am sailing on a cruise from my homeport. I love the homey feel of my own high-thread count sheets! In fact, I have 2 sets that I bought on eBay that have a distinctive island design...one set in cool blue hues, and another set in the vibrant colors of the Caribbean. It's silly I know, but it adds a level of personal comfort to the cruise that makes it just about perfect! Of course I can only do this if we drive to the port. I can't justify the extra weight if we fly.

So, when they strip the beds to launder the sheets during the cruise, have you ever lost your sheets? Plenty of people have lost pillow cases and children's blankets and toys caught up in the sheets.

We sleep on bamboo sheets at home which are just as comfy as high thread count cotton sheets, but I can handle the sheets in hotels and on cruise ships just fine.

Flat

The beds when put together have a semi circular bottom so not sure if fitted would work.

Thanks all for the info!

So what's the deal with the semi-circular bottom of the bed? I thought it looked like that in photos, but it seems rather bizarre. What's the reason behind that and is the mattress really that odd shape?

Thanks all for the info!

So what's the deal with the semi-circular bottom of the bed? I thought it looked like that in photos, but it seems rather bizarre. What's the reason behind that and is the mattress really that odd shape?

Makes moving around the cabin a bit easier.

So, when they strip the beds to launder the sheets during the cruise, have you ever lost your sheets? Plenty of people have lost pillow cases and children's blankets and toys caught up in the sheets.

We sleep on bamboo sheets at home which are just as comfy as high thread count cotton sheets, but I can handle the sheets in hotels and on cruise ships just fine.

Nope, have not lost any sheets because the ones I bring are colorful and easy to tell apart from the white sheets of the ship. Years ago, before I got so picky about my sheets, my son who was about 6 at the time, lost his Pongo stuffed animal from the 101 Dalmatians movie.....when we were at Disney World at a Disney resort. Pongo no doubt had gotten caught up in the bed linens when they were being changed. It was wonderful that it happened at Disney as they were easily able to replace Pongo. But yes, those things can and do happen. I did leave my pillow once onboard on debarkation day. We were in a hurry to make a flight, and were doing the self-carry. When I realized I didn't have it, I just had to let it go, because, in the words of Jack Handee....'man, it was gone'!

Gosh, I can't imagine lugging sheets on a ship even when we're driving.

Some people also bring their own beach towels.

Glad people want to can and glad I don't have to. :p

LuLu

I'd love to try and smuggle some of their sheets home with me though....so soft <3 I need to save space in my suitcase next year so I can buy a set of Cariloha sheets.

We've always had good state room attendants-Poppy always seems to get mixed in my bedding and has yet to make it to the wash with the sheets. Although by now he is a bit scary looking :D

So do you not have your bedding washed at all during a cruise? Do you tip your attendant extra for having to deal with the unusual request? I'm hoping so.

The unusual request of not having to change my bedding all week?? I just put my fitted sheet on top of the cruise line sheet, take off and neatly fold the cruiseline top sheet and pillow cases. Not sure I follow you on what I am asking the room attendant to do that is above and beyond that would require an extra tip? To be sure, we are generous with our attendant tip nonetheless, but it has nothing to do with my sheet situation LOL. Please let me know if I am missing something because I do tend to be dense at times in these thread conversations yikes!!

This is a joke, right?

This may seem like an overly picky question to some, but I am admittedly very particular about bedding/sheets and don't like when the bottom sheet is a flat sheet that is just tucked in instead of a true fitted sheet with elastic.

Does RC, (specifically on the Navigator if it makes a difference), use flat or fitted sheets for the bottom sheet?

If it's flat, then I'll pack my own fitted sheet (like I did on previous Disney cruises), but I'd like to know if it's needed.

Thanks! :)

Ouch! No conversation ever goes unpunished hereabouts on CC!! LOL

Agreed, we're all guilty, but I think the issue is that most don't want the hassle when the cruiseline sheets are more than adequate. I much prefer my bamboo sheets but no way I'd bring them onboard.

Agreed, we're all guilty, but I think the issue is that most don't want the hassle when the cruiseline sheets are more than adequate. I much prefer my bamboo sheets but no way I'd bring them onboard.

I support your decision 100%! Who knows best what works for you than YOU?! Isn't it great that we live at a time when we can choose that for ourselves? I am so grateful for that!! And on a CRUISE no less! No worries for ANY of us !!

BTW - I am now very curious about these bamboo sheets of which you speak. Have not yet had the pleasure....

Edited by CarolSW

This is a joke, right?

No, no joke. :o As I said, I'm very particular and can't stand having bunched up sheets on the bottom layer of bedding. My experience with tucked-in flat sheets on bottom is that they come out when you pull out the top sheet and blanket to get in, and then you basically have a loose bottom sheet that's going to slide around and get bunched up. What happens for us is that I end up having to essentially re-make the bed each night to tuck back in the bottom sheet when we get ready to go to bed, and then they still end up bunching up. If I can take care of that by bringing my own fitted sheet, then that's what I'll do!

I've only cruised 2 different cruiselines - Disney had flat sheets so I brought my own fitted sheet, and Carnival had fitted sheets. We travel a lot and my experience with hotels is about 50/50, but if I'm only staying 1-2 nights I don't bother bringing my own.

I also travel with my own lightweight cotton blanket because I could never sleep under the heavier blankets that are on about 95% of beds in hotels and cruiselines! I plan for luggage space for this and it is important to me so not too much trouble to include a flat sheet too.

Thanks to all here for the info!

I'd love to try and smuggle some of their sheets home with me though....so soft <3 I need to save space in my suitcase next year so I can buy a set of Cariloha sheets.

Hmmm... Maybe if their sheets are really soft and extra-large like someone else mentioned so that they might actually stay tucked in on bottom, I'll stick with them, and bring some of my plast sheet-clip thingies (can't think of what to call them) that go around the mattress binding and the sheet to help hold them in place.

FYI, Cariloha ships for free, so no need to save space in your suitcase. I like the top sheet & pillowcase from them, but the bottom sheet pilled up horribly after just a few weeks of usage and washing. They're guaranteed and they sent a replacement set when I called, but I just use the top sheet. It's been about a year since mine were new, so maybe they've fixed this problem.

Hmmm... Maybe if their sheets are really soft and extra-large like someone else mentioned so that they might actually stay tucked in on bottom, I'll stick with them, and bring some of my plast sheet-clip thingies (can't think of what to call them) that go around the mattress binding and the sheet to help hold them in place.

FYI, Cariloha ships for free, so no need to save space in your suitcase. I like the top sheet & pillowcase from them, but the bottom sheet pilled up horribly after just a few weeks of usage and washing. They're guaranteed and they sent a replacement set when I called, but I just use the top sheet. It's been about a year since mine were new, so maybe they've fixed this problem.

We have two sets from Cariloha. One 3 years old and one just a couple of months old. LOVE them. Ours didn't pill, but I've heard they can. We use the entire set.

If the bed is properly made then the flat, bottom sheet should not come out....if the cabin attendant or housekeeper in a hotel tries to take a shortcut and tuck them all in at the same time, instead of fully tucking the bottom sheet, then yes, you'll have a mess..

Having said that, many hotels now use fitted bottom sheets, which I prefer....but it's easier to use the flat on the ship, and they probably last longer.....

Do I really care? No, but I don't like to have to re-tuck everything in....and actually I've never had to do that on any cruise I've been on, but I often have to remake the bed in a hotel........

BTW full disclosure, I was a housekeeping manager for Marriott for many years...and when I checked rooms, I checked to see if the ladies "half-stepped" making the beds.....most nevver did, the one or 2 that I caught, well, they never did it again after I discussed it, then took the bed apart...:eek: