Gastropub

Cruising89143

You're on a cruise!

Well I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought that!

The great thing is that because we don't all have the same priorities we can make a choice to go or not to go. If enough people don't go then Celebrity will know that it's not a good idea and will think again. Cellar Masters to me has always been a waste of space so it's good to see they are giving an alternative a chance.

Phil

The great thing is that because we don't all have the same priorities we can make a choice to go or not to go. If enough people don't go then Celebrity will know that it's not a good idea and will think again. Cellar Masters to me has always been a waste of space so it's good to see they are giving an alternative a chance.

Phil

Hope all is well with you. That's why they test an idea on one ship prior to rolling it out fleet wide. Cellar Masters wasn't generating the revenue and something needed to be done with this prized location. I'm certain that there will be some adjustments as they receive customer feedback. I too appreciate choices.

. I too appreciate choices.

Same here. Those who have issue with the for-fee venues, need to look back in time to when the only choice was the all inclusive MDR and Buffet only.

SO those people still have those choices available just like the good-old-days and those who like more variety, can have it albeit at some cost. This is why it seems so counterintuitive to hear people complain about these fee-based venues, they've not lost the free dining options, only gained options.

Same here. Those who have issue with the for-fee venues, need to look back in time to when the only choice was the all inclusive MDR and Buffet only.

SO those people still have those choices available just like the good-old-days and those who like more variety, can have it albeit at some cost. This is why it seems so counterintuitive to hear people complain about these fee-based venues, they've not lost the free dining options, only gained options.

Options to some can lead to a breakdown, as the mental process of making a choice is too over whelming:D Toto, We are not in Kansas no more:)

Phil

I agree with your comments on Cellar Masters.

I guess I responded the way I did to the menu was the individual pricing. Thus I can do this at home a lot better and with buddies from work and friends.

I do see how this can appeal to people.

When I want to experience variety in dinning on a cruise I tend to do it while in the ports.

I have cruised with others who thought I was crazy as we could eat on the ship for free.

I prefer to try local fare to ship food and when in a Hotel I usually only eat and drink there as a matter of convince.

Once again I try local and regional even in the US. When I eat Chinese I am not a PF Chang's kind of guy and this strikes me as that type of place for a beer.

I was on a business trip once and staying in a high end boutique Hotel during the super bowl weekend. I spoke to the concierge about where in the hotel would be the best place to watch the game, he had the limo take me to his favorite hangout / dive.

Sometimes you just want a beer with out the pretentiousness simply because you are on a cruise.

Edited by baldercash

To be honest these days I'm up to there with food after a few days eating in the MDR and now really enjoy a break every so often in a less frenetic and relaxed atmosphere. It's good to have another choice of environment and for me it doesn't need to be a full sit down meal to be enjoyed. Been there, done that. After a couple of weeks on a cruise the one thing I always hanker for when I'm home is a cheese and pickle sandwich and a cup of tea. Says it all really!

Phil

Sounds good, Phil!!!

Dave

Phil

I have to question the wisdom of replicating the same unsuccessful venue on all 5 ships.

I have to question the wisdom of replicating the same unsuccessful venue on all 5 ships.

You mean Cellar Masters? They are trying to change that unsuccessful venue onto something useful, like the Gastro Pub. Maybe the concept will change as they experiment with it, but anything will drive better revenues that has Cellar masters.

You mean Cellar Masters? They are trying to change that unsuccessful venue onto something useful, like the Gastro Pub. Maybe the concept will change as they experiment with it, but anything will drive better revenues that has Cellar masters.

Yes, Cellar Masters. Should the change have been made on Silhouette & Reflection when they were built. Other changes were made.

Perhaps this should have been one of those improvements. CM being under used is not 'breaking news' is it.

Yes, Cellar Masters. Should the change have been made on Silhouette & Reflection when they were built. Other changes were made.

Perhaps this should have been one of those improvements. CM being under used is not 'breaking news' is it.

Hard to tell. Has CM always been dead or is it a recent development? The S class ships came out so close together. I'm just happy they're trying something new now

Do you have pictures of the new design that you can post? Do they now have TV's in the venue? How is the wine?

Mary Lou

From the day Gastropub opened...5/8

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1402029141840.jpg.e88d8e8ff9e6623f33259d07d6158e06.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402029163854.jpg.b2e06caf3af4762f51462b2743784e18.jpg

Options to some can lead to a breakdown, as the mental process of making a choice is too over whelming:D Toto, We are not in Kansas no more:)

So true. I turn into a deer in the headlights when I go and try to pick a paint color. My house is basically eggshell white now. LOL :D

From the day Gastropub opened...5/8

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Not as bad as I imagined from the earlier descriptions of bright & open. Still should look nice at night and have that darker Cellar Masters feel - just with a few TV's added...we'll sit in an alcove near the bar :) Or make the Ensemble Lounge our new hangout

Edited by Ando

File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1402029141840.jpg (19.4 KB, 53 views)

File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1402029163854.jpg (22.1 KB, 51 views)

Looking at the pictures I would hang there for a beer with friends on board or just a quiet one.

I think I jumped to fast, this makes sense.

Instead of eating a lunch at Bistro on 5 which is closing I think I would enjoy this venue more as the food is more varied and it will cover for Micheal's club as well.

Thanks for posting picture, I was thinking more glass and chrome antiseptic similar to the new urban gastro pubs.

Not as bad as I imagined from the earlier descriptions of bright & open. Still should look nice at night and have that darker Cellar Masters feel - just with a few TV's added...we'll sit in an alcove near the bar :) Or make the Ensemble Lounge our new hangout

Of course there's only a couple of angles to view but it doesn't look like they changed the layout much and I read that it's more open than before although not show in the pics.

Instead of eating a lunch at Bistro on 5 which is closing

What makes you think Bistro on 5 is closing? If you think it's for the new Suite Dining Room, Celebrity has confirmed this IS NOT the suite dining room space. They have recently raised the price for Bistro from $5 to $7, so it is generating revenue as well....I had never noticed its use much, but on the Summit one night as I passed all seats were full for the dinner menu with some waiting for seats.

If you have heard of some other reasoning for its closure, please share!

What makes you think Bistro on 5 is closing? If you think it's for the new Suite Dining Room, Celebrity has confirmed this IS NOT the suite dining room space. They have recently raised the price for Bistro from $5 to $7, so it is generating revenue as well....I had never noticed its use much, but on the Summit one night as I passed all seats were full for the dinner menu with some waiting for seats.

If you have heard of some other reasoning for its closure, please share!

I think she was asking.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

Am i to conclude that because thete are so many pay for food venues that the dining room quality is not what it used to be ...which would be a shame because many moons ago it was excellent ?my last celebrity cruise was a few years ago on Millie and it was excellent so no need to go to specialty restaurants

I would prefer not to pay for it ..after all I did pay for the cruise

Am i to conclude that because thete are so many pay for food venues that the dining room quality is not what it used to be ...which would be a shame because many moons ago it was excellent ?my last celebrity cruise was a few years ago on Millie and it was excellent so no need to go to specialty restaurants

Oh, that's a hornets nest of a question. :D One's perception of meal quality is so subjective.

I can say I travel often in suites, and as such get 1 or 2 free specialty dining meals as part of my fare based on length of the cruise. On 3 of them, I have not used both free meals as I enjoy the MDR most nights. For me specialty dining is reserved for a more quiet dinner experience with new or special friends, not so much for an improvement in the quality of the food itself. Specialty dining is more about the ambience I think.

I think the MDR food is presented in a very fine fashion, even for "banquet" style dining, and have found if I get something not prepared quite to my liking, it will be quickly replaced and corrected.

I think the conclusion is that lines need alternate revenue streams in order to keep cabin fares relatively steady, and many people on vacation don't mind an upgrade every now and then and will pay a-la-carte, therefore the paid alternative dining venues are driving increased revenue via those folks, while the all inclusive MDR and buffet still remain for those who don't care to pay extra for an experience.

End of the day, it's a closed ship, full of food and ingredients - not much variance will be had to the ingredients overall. I don't know that the lobster tails served in Murano are any different than those served in the MDR the final formal night, but Murano offers it every night and with a different preparation in a more intimate setting is all, for example.

Edited by cle-guy

I can only answer for myself because food is very subjective, but I think the food has improved lately. For me it took a bit of a dip two or three years ago, perhaps when Michel Roux left and it was finding its feet again, but I have been very pleased with the MDR food of late. That isn't to say I don't enjoy going elsewhere for a change. Best thing is I have a choice.

Phil

I can only answer for myself because food is very subjective, but I think the food has improved lately. For me it took a bit of a dip two or three years ago, perhaps when Michel Roux left and it was finding its feet again, but I have been very pleased with the MDR food of late. That isn't to say I don't enjoy going elsewhere for a change. Best thing is I have a choice.

Phil

Exactly right. We noticed a dip as well, but it's come back up to Celebrity standards.