Question about Bernard's tours

Giantfan13

We are going to be in St Maarten in August and would very much like to do a tour with Bernard.

I was comparing the tours, (Tour I and tour 2).

Tour 2 gives you about 90 minutes at Orient Beach. Now we are really not beach goers, but we do like to walk the shore or sit and relax in the shade. My first question, never having been to Orient Beach is there shade to sit in?. Is it a very crowded beach, or can you walk a bit to a more 'quiet' spot?

Second, tour 2 has 1/2 hour stop at Marigot for 'shopping' opposed to an hour stop with tour 1. What type of area is this and what is the shopping like? This might appeal to my DW more than strolling a beach. Is this 'shopping' anything like the Straw Market in Nassau, where most of the items are made in China?

Can one request Bernard be their guide or is it sort of pot luck. from what we can see, there will be 3 ships in port the day we are there. ?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Len

We are going to be in St Maarten in August and would very much like to do a tour with Bernard.

I was comparing the tours, (Tour I and tour 2).

Tour 2 gives you about 90 minutes at Orient Beach. Now we are really not beach goers, but we do like to walk the shore or sit and relax in the shade. My first question, never having been to Orient Beach is there shade to sit in?. Is it a very crowded beach, or can you walk a bit to a more 'quiet' spot?

Orient Beach is just beautiful and a must see with gorgeous turquoise clear water. You will see some nudity on the beach as many European's go there. There are many places to rent chair and umbrellas and there's also shade when sitting near the beach bars.

Depending how many ships in port, the beach can be crowded but you can walk to a quiet spot.

Second, tour 2 has 1/2 hour stop at Marigot for 'shopping' opposed to an hour stop with tour 1. What type of area is this and what is the shopping like? This might appeal to my DW more than strolling a beach. Is this 'shopping' anything like the Straw Market in Nassau, where most of the items are made in China?

Marigot is a beautiful town and is in the Marina district on the French side of the island. There is something like a straw market, I call it a flea market in the center of Marigot. There are also stores the wife can shop in at the marina and a small mall called West Indies Mall, just across the street from the flea market. There is also a wonderful french bakery in Marigot called Sarafina's.

Can one request Bernard be their guide or is it sort of pot luck. from what we can see, there will be 3 ships in port the day we are there. ?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Len

We just did Bernards Tour on May 26. Bernard was out of town was told he'll be returning in June. I guess you can request him, we never felt the need to ask for Bernard and have taken his tours for years. We always had excellent tour guides, John, Mailman, David and Sexy. Whoever you get, you'll have a great time with them!

The only difference between the 2 tours is the amount of time spent at Orient Beach and in Marigot. If your not beach goers I would suggest taking Tour 1.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising
highlight in red