Cruise Critic Community
Cruise831

Amsterdam Post Cruise

We are doing a Rhine River cruise in May 2015 Basel to Amsterdam. I was thinking about doing an extension for a few days in Amsterdam at least 3 maybe 4. Any suggestions or places to stay, things not to miss or restaurants would be appreciated. What was your favorite thing you did in Amsterdam?

If you use the "search"option you will find a lot of information about what to do, see or stay in or around Amsterdam.

Canalcruises, Rijksmuseu, van Goghmuseum, Anne Frankhuis, Zaanse Schans, the city of Haarlem and/or Delft. Depending when in May: Keukenhof, to name just a few possible things to do.

Also the Amsterdam website gives a lot of information.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/

Like in any other city, choice of hotels and prices gives a lot of choices.

Edited by Ine

We stayed at the Doubletree Centraal Station which was very convenient to most things. Highly recommend the Anne Frank House and would advise getting advance tickets to anything you plan on doing. We saved hours by having our Anne Frank tickets in hand. We also loved the Reypanear Cheese and wine tasting. That was a great way to spend an hour in the afternoon, but you should make a reservation for that as well. Since you've been on a cruise, you may think a canal cruise will not be necessary. Do it absolutely. It is far and away the best way to see the city. Have fun.

We stayed at Hotel Aalders in the museum district and it was a good price and good value, although we got the smallest room and it was a little too cramped with the luggage. We thought the location was nice though.

Definitely get the Anne Frank tickets in advance. You can then skip the line and ring the bell at the door to the left and go right in. We also did the 30 minute talk at the beginning which was very informative and had alot of pictures...then you walk thru the museum on your own.

If you are there on a Wednesday, there is a free concert (actually just a rehearsal) at the Concertbegeow. It was packed the day we were there. You get to see the concert hall and hear some nice music for free. Check website for times.

For some nice food with the locals, go to de Bijenkorp department store. The restaurant on the top floor is enormous and has a wide variety of foods and drinks including coffee, tea, wine, beer. Pick what you want, pay, and sit and enjoy. We ate there 2 times.

The tram system is easy to use and convenient. We got a 2 day pass and used that to get around.

We stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer when we were there in 2009...very nice. Check and see what dates the Keukenhof is open. They are only open 2 months, usually April and May. Wonderful botanical gardens featuring every kind, variety, and color of tulip....jonquils, orchids, lilies! Definitely get tickets to Ann Frank house before leaving. Rijksmuseum is great.

Cruise831, I see you're from Deer Park, TX. Do you know Joe and Kris VanAllen??

No.

Totally charming, the Hotel Estherea is a set of canal houses, made into an hotel. So cute, fabulous public spaces, great location, reasonably priced for a boutique hotel in Amsterdam. Great breakfast, worth the price. We're doing the reverse of this and spending a couple of days there. Amsterdam is a marvelous city.

Totally charming, the Hotel Estherea is a set of canal houses, made into an hotel. So cute, fabulous public spaces, great location, reasonably priced for a boutique hotel in Amsterdam. Great breakfast, worth the price. We're doing the reverse of this and spending a couple of days there. Amsterdam is a marvelous city.

I used several recommendations here on CC for the Hotel Estherea for our upcoming July trip. Will report back, but it seems divine. We always try to choose small non-chain hotels when in Europe. If I want to stay in a big American chain, I could just stay home. jmo

I used several recommendations here on CC for the Hotel Estherea for our upcoming July trip. Will report back, but it seems divine. We always try to choose small non-chain hotels when in Europe. If I want to stay in a big American chain, I could just stay home. jmo

I would definitely appreciate your feedback when you return.

Just back last night. Our river cruise actually stayed overnight for one night on Friday and then we stayed at the renaissance hotel on Saturday night. Great hotel. Very safe area. One street over is packed with restaurants easy to walk. Really good hotel.

I loved the canal cruise. I hated Amsterdam. Dirty, packed with people everywhere, bikes everywhere. A lot of drunks and druggies about. I just didn't care for it. None of our party of four liked it much. We could easily see what we needed to on the ship overnight. We thought it was a waste to stay over. My two cents. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Just back last night. Our river cruise actually stayed overnight for one night on Friday and then we stayed at the renaissance hotel on Saturday night. Great hotel. Very safe area. One street over is packed with restaurants easy to walk. Really good hotel.

I loved the canal cruise. I hated Amsterdam. Dirty, packed with people everywhere, bikes everywhere. A lot of drunks and druggies about. I just didn't care for it. None of our party of four liked it much. We could easily see what we needed to on the ship overnight. We thought it was a waste to stay over. My two cents. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Of course there are lots of drunks and druggies after all its Amsterdam, but theres also the Anne Frank house and multi art museums. If that is not your thing then take a very short train ride to Muiderslot and tour Muiderslot Castle. Its quick easy and cheap and a teller at the train station will help with arrangements.

garbage collectors

There have been some strikes going on in Amsterdam in May and June. First the cleaners of trains and stations were striking and shortly after that the garbage collectors of the city were striking too. So it might be you were visiting during that time. Unfortunately yes the city looked dirty because of that.

You will see drunks and druggies, but I am sure that it a worldwide problem of many major city, but certainly not all of them are dangerous. Often it depends what section of town you are in.

Dirty, packed with people everywhere, bikes everywhere. A lot of drunks and druggies about. I just didn't care for it.

You could be talking about almost any major tourist city anywhere except for the bikes. The museums are great and well worth checking out.

You could be talking about almost any major tourist city anywhere except for the bikes. The museums are great and well worth checking out.

That doesn't make liking Amsterdam mandatory. DW and I don't care for it either. Chacun a son gout.

Hi. We are in Amsterdam now. The city is clean and gorgeous. Our cruise is now over so we are now checked into Hotel Estherea. I'm in heaven. I booked the room with the tub. ImageUploadedByForums1405257532.507203.jpg.660f4ce9fc5666aaafb97a7c41178f50.jpg

You are in a mansion on a canal near everything.

ImageUploadedByForums1405257384.212322.jpg.df7e185ec78f95d59779e21524b9c3b7.jpg

Has anyone toured Muiderslot Castle? Is it worth taking the time to visit during a 2 or 3 day post cruise trip?

We , too, stayed at the Hotel Esthetes...... Wonderful choice! - would stay there again. Perfect location - great staff and such a lovely hotel!

We are doing a Rhine River cruise in May 2015 Basel to Amsterdam. I was thinking about doing an extension for a few days in Amsterdam at least 3 maybe 4. Any suggestions or places to stay, things not to miss or restaurants would be appreciated. What was your favorite thing you did in Amsterdam?

We a doing 3 1/2 days prior to our cruise and opted to rent an apartment. Expense wise it's more affordable and having a small kitchen and living area is more relaxing. After checking on a few sites we found exactly what we were looking for. We needed 4 bedroom since there will be 8 of us but there are some that are 1 bedroom. An excellent site is Tripadviser or Flipkey.

We stayed in Amsterdam for 2 days pre-cruise in late April of this year.

In contrast to other posters' opinions, we absolutely loved Amsterdam and The Netherlands. We were even there in the few days prior to the revelry of their King's Day celebration so things were a little more lively than usual but we did not experience any rowdiness. Compared to other European cities, I thought it was actually very clean. The Dutch all speak English and were all extremely friendly and polite. Just watch out for silent transportation (bikes and trams)

We took Sandemann's Free Amsterdam Walking Tour. See website for meeting time and place.

http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

Ok....It's not FREE, but at the end of the tour you pay the guide what you thought the tour was worth. It was about a 3 hr. walking tour with a restroom/snack break. Our guide, Julian was a lively character full of personality and interesting facts. We learned a little about every aspect of Amsterdam's history.

A Canal cruise is a must. We didn't have time to hit the museums nor Anne Frank's House so this is a reason to return. Museums would have taken up to much time.

If in the area from Late March to Mid May, Keukenhof Gardens is a MUST. We went there right from the airport. We locked up luggage for a few hours and bought the combo ticket (entrance and RT bus) right at the airport. There are also bike trails all around the bulb fields at KG. Bike rentals just outside entrance. Gorgeous!

We also wanted to rent bikes and take the free ferry from the Centraal Station to the area north of Amsterdam for more of a pastoral country experience, but we didn't have the time.

Cheese, Windmills, Tulips, clogs, floating flower/bulb market, canals lined with houseboats, more bikes than cars....what's not to like? If legalized weed /prostitution and a condom museum, etc bother you, just don't go near there. There is so much more to the city.

We are also staying in Amsterdam post cruise in late October. Just from reading other posts, this seems like a very city to walk and see the sites. We plan on taking the hop on hop off canal ride to familiarize ourselves with the city. Also doing the Ann Frank house, get tickets online way in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on which cruise line you sail on you might be able to accomplish some activities as part of your included itinerary. For example the canal cruise is included on the Avalon Basel to Amsterdam itinerary