Cruise Critic Community
Cruise831

Amsterdam Post Cruise

Yes, the trolleys are great, and yes, a canal cruise is a must.

We have always stayed in small hotels out among the canals, not in the main tourist centres--not far out, in the central group of canals loops, Keizergracht, Prinzengracht. The Museum District, which we've walked through lots of times, also is a very nice area to stay. Ditto parts of the Jordaan, haven't stayed there, but looks lovely.

There are plenty of areas right "downtown" where I would NOT want to stay--we only go there if there's a specific sight we feel we must see.

(This really makes me want to go back to Amsterdam!)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We love Amsterdam!!! It is absolutely beautiful! We found the people to be very friendly and it is so easy to get around. Everyone speaks English and all the signs are in both Dutch and English. Keukenhof is an absolute must if you are there during the first part of May. 6 or 7 million bulbs, it is just breathtaking. Easy to get to as well, busses run from the airport, which is a quick ride from the central train station. We also enjoyed Zaanse Schanse. Yes, it is kind of touristy, but very fun. Kind of like Williamsburg, recreated village with 4 or 5 real windmills. You can go inside them and see how they work. A very quick train ride from the central station. We stayed at a bed and breakfast on the Prinsengracht canal. It was quite lovely, only a 10 minute walk from the train station and about 10 minutes to the city centre. It is called the Posthoorn. Make sure you have some Dutch pancakes and stroopwafels. yum

Sounds like a good idea. I would suggest to book a room anywhere near the De Wallen red light district. This way you are in the middle of the all action. Shopping street is also just a short walk from the red light area. There are actually couple good and cheap hotels in the red light area, but I always rent an apartment from the area and save a little bit.

I would recommend you to check out all the famous museums, do shopping (Remember to checkout the Primark Shop, it is 10 minute train ride from Amsterdam central station. It is super cheap shop and a must go for any shop-a-holic). Then in the red light area I would just browse the window girls, eat at the Febo (coin operated machine food) and rent a bike and go to the many parks. Also Casa Rosso sex show is a must see!

You can read more about Amsterdam red light district from here http://www.wikiadult.org/wiki/Amsterdam

Have fun and maybe take a day trip to Den Hague also!

Wow, that's an unusual idea! I've been through the red light district and would not have thought to stay there. In general I try to avoid the really touristy parts of a city for accommodation, and that area is especially touristy. And I'm not sure many folks who post here really want to go to a sex show, especially the women.