Could Rhapsody really be as bad as a recent review says?

We are sailing on Rhapsody next week. Reviews from the first week of Alaska cruises are just being posted. As of now, there are only two up. This is in the Cruise Critic Reviews section. One seems fairly balanced. The other is incredibly negative. I suppose it's possible that all the bad things happened (a naked man lying in the hallway, a filthy stateroom, horrible fellow passengers, peeling paint, dripping ceilings, sewage smell, etc) but I wonder how common "troll" reviews are?

Basically just looking for some reassurance of a general sort, along the lines of "cruises are what you make of them and there's always some people who can't be pleased." Also, if anyone has been on Rhapsody recently, specific reassurance wouldn't be so bad either ;)

We are sailing on Rhapsody next week. Reviews from the first week of Alaska cruises are just being posted. As of now, there are only two up. This is in the Cruise Critic Reviews section. One seems fairly balanced. The other is incredibly negative. I suppose it's possible that all the bad things happened (a naked man lying in the hallway, a filthy stateroom, horrible fellow passengers, peeling paint, dripping ceilings, sewage smell, etc) but I wonder how common "troll" reviews are?

Basically just looking for some reassurance of a general sort, along the lines of "cruises are what you make of them and there's always some people who can't be pleased." Also, if anyone has been on Rhapsody recently, specific reassurance wouldn't be so bad either ;)

Most of the time bad reviews come from someone who just had a bad _____ (something). You fill in the blank. For every bad review there are 1500 or so happy satisfied cruisers. We love all of the Vision class ships. What the smaller ships lack in fixtures they make up for in personality. We have never had a bad cruise because of RCI. That's why we come back over and over: the consistent fine product, especially the crew! It just doesn't matter which ship. Everything will be fine. Go and enjoy :)

We spent 13 nights on Rhapsody in May and never smelled sewage,saw peeling paint or dripping ceilings. Our stateroom was clean (except for a disgusting shower curtain that was replaced after a couple of days), the service all over the ship was excellent and we would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Edited by critterchick

We cruised on Rhapsody in 2012, she had a major refit in March 2012 and she is a beautiful ship. I also read the reviews and sometimes people are just straight out negative, don't take too much notice of them. Tripadvisor hotel reviews often have negative reviews, I think this people are trying to get some sort of compensation just for staying somewhere!

Many times I read very negative reviews of a sailing that I was on and it's hard to believe that we were on the same cruise. Don't worry about it. This happens all the time. Go and enjoy. The Rhapsody is a lovely ship.

I was on the May repo with Critterchick and posted my review where I gave almost all 5 stars, and my 9 friends who were on the ship with me would have rated it the same. I read the negative review and had the same reaction, were we on the same ship. Same thing happens on trip advisor reviews. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, people come into a cruise with different expectations, so I just consider the majority of reviews. Also it is human nature that more people post negative reviews than people post positive reviews, if you have a great experience you just assume there is no need to post it. I've started being more proactive in posting positive experiences and notifying hotels or other hospitality places of staff that went above & beyond. Takes only a few minutes and can make a world of difference to that overworked front desk clerk or shuttle bus driver.

I really appreciate the time you all are taking to bolster my confidence. I'm sure we'll have a great time and become hooked on cruising. And I will post my own review when we get back!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If a review is full of negative this and negative that I would discount it as being someone who came onboard with expectations that would be impossible to meet, or they knew they weren't going to like it from the beginning.

Rhapsody is a lovely ship and we would sail her again in a heartbeat.

We were on Rhapsody last summer and loved it! No issues whatsoever. Agree totally about CD Graham... He was absolutely hilarious and we loved every minute! Relax and enjoy...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I sailed her a few months back, and enjoyed the cruise more than the more recent Solstice cruise I had. No negatives at all. Our CD was Ken Jones, who was brilliant!

I will say one of our tablemates did complain of sewage smells in his cabin, whereas us and the others were in different areas and had no issues. There could be localised issues in that respect.

If you can wait for a full review until we get home later, I'll post that wed or so.

But in brief, we just got off Friday and had one of our best cruises we've ever been on. Ship was great, ports were really nice, and the captain took us to view a glacier on our own. That was amazing.

You will have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got off Rhapsody 8 days ago. It was a great cruise. The ship is in nice shape and the crew is positive and upbeat. I'm not sure who is more entertaining, the captain or the cruise director. The MTD hostess Maria is so sweet and happy, just bubbling over with enthusiasm. Tricia the loyalty ambassador is very nice.

The worst part of the cruise - pier checkin was a bit disorganized with the suite priority check in unmonitored meaning no priority. The comedians at the shows weren't funny. If that's as bad as it gets, I can't complain.

Gina

We were on the Rhapsody last Christmas and had a most enjoyable cruise. The Captain and Cruise Director were excellent. Very professional and friendly service from the waitstaff in the MDR every night. No issues with the state of the ship. The Rhapsody was highly recommended to us and I certainly would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

We just got off Rhapsody 8 days ago. It was a great cruise. The ship is in nice shape and the crew is positive and upbeat. I'm not sure who is more entertaining, the captain or the cruise director. The MTD hostess Maria is so sweet and happy, just bubbling over with enthusiasm. Tricia the loyalty ambassador is very nice.

The worst part of the cruise - pier checkin was a bit disorganized with the suite priority check in unmonitored meaning no priority. The comedians at the shows weren't funny. If that's as bad as it gets, I can't complain.

Gina

Welcome back Gina. Awesome to hear you had a great time :)

I've been on Rhapsody twice, most recently last Aug/Sept... great ship and great crew. Like others experienced CCers have already said, it's always interesting to be on and post about a great cruise and then read about someone else's negative experiences on the exact same cruise.

It's been said many times before by many posters... you make your vacation what you want it to be. Have a really fun and positive attitude no matter what issues arise and everything will work out awesome for you.

Alaska on Rhapsody is superb... have a great cruise! :D

Just off RH two days ago. She's fine and the staff and crew outstanding. The check in at the pier, well, not so good. Get there early and prepare to wait. We were in the Suites, P, D+ line and it took a while. Those in the other lines waited for quite a while.

Rick and Deirdra