Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

:D tv24, I know we were on the Sojourn for a couple of weeks during your World Cruise, I wonder if we encountered each other at breakfast?

I usually ask the server to just bring me copious amounts of coffee and whatever the breakfast special is that day. Then I retreat into my own "Do not disturb" expression!

I'm not at all anti-social generally, but first thing in the morning (that's up to around lunch time for me!) is an exception.

Glad that others feel the same way.

Perhaps...we boarded in Los Angeles and disembarked in Hong Kong. My habit at breakfast was to hide behind the daily bulletin, or the Sudoku puzzle, or my crosswords book. Didn't always work, everyone is way social on Seabourn.:D

Perhaps...we boarded in Los Angeles and disembarked in Hong Kong. My habit at breakfast was to hide behind the daily bulletin, or the Sudoku puzzle, or my crosswords book. Didn't always work, everyone is way social on Seabourn.:D

Oh, we embarked in Hong Kong so we weren't both in the Colonnade at the same time using similar avoidance techniques.

Everyone on Seabourn is very social, plus they're far too perky in the mornings for my liking! ;)

Oh, we embarked in Hong Kong so we weren't both in the Colonnade at the same time using similar avoidance techniques.

Everyone on Seabourn is very social, plus they're far too perky in the mornings for my liking! ;)

Beware of perky people in the morning! At that hour, the only perkiness I want is from my coffee.;)

Beware of perky people in the morning! At that hour, the only perkiness I want is from my coffee.;)

It's just after 12 noon here and I'm just about becoming perky only now, having been up for nearly 6 hours ;)

This is one reason why I sometimes need the option of breakast in The Restaurant. In the mornings, I need peace and quiet and a spouse who understands that. He wouldn't dare to be remotely perky around me until at least 1pm, and niether should strangers :D

Edited by Nigella
grammar...

I think what is being forgotten here is that even in the colonnade you can order and never leave your seat. They will bring you whatever you want...you just have to ask.

I saw guests demanding the most complicated coffees, and breakfasts done the most obscure ways...returning them til they were satisfied.

Service is exemplary no matter which dining venue you are in.

Just because there are buffet items for convenience does not mean you need to utilize them.

Skittles.

I think what is being forgotten here is that even in the colonnade you can order and never leave your seat. They will bring you whatever you want...you just have to ask.

Exactly. I hate the buffet part of the Colonnade but often my dining companions like being able to self-serve breakfast or lunch. It's a good compromise for all parties involved when that is the case. I do usually get my caffeinated beverage of choice first though from Seabourn Square as I tend to get quite testy when I encounter the noise and bustle of the Colonnade and need that bit of caffeine to steel my nerves. I also will admit that I prefer dining out on the deck, not for the ocean breeze, but so I can wear my sunglasses so that no one can see how cranky I might before that second cup! :eek:

It looks like my next go on Odyssey may be a 12 night cruise. I will have have to see if I can get my friend nolatravelgirl to breakfast in the Restaurant at least once so I can try to have something off-menu and complicated like Crabcake Benedict or such that benefits from the white tablecloth. But I'd suspect if it's as sunny as I hope for the cruise, it will be sunglasses at the Colonnade for breakfast in order to hit the pool deck sooner. :D

Actually, quite a few posts,including mine, aren't saying the problem is necessarily with the food on offer in the Colonnade, or how it's served.

Some people really do appreciate the calm, quiet ambience in the MDR.

Luxury for me means having a choice. In general, I have no issue with buffet, or with dining venues that are more energetic than others. I just don't want that all the time.

We join Nigella [and several others who have posted] in preferring the ambiance of the MDR, Actually, I would suspect that it is the Colonnade that offers a greater variety of foods, both at breakfast and lunch...and I wouldn't assume that everyone chooses the MDR so that they can do special orders though, of course, you are entitled to do so. I've never heard of Crab[cakes] Benedict but it certainly sounds tantalizing.

Edited by PaulaJK

Also strongly favor the MDR for breakfast and for lunch if the weather is not good enough to sit outside at the Colonnade. Not really a buffet fan and I usually order off the menu when there. Have not tried the crab Bendedict but my usual is Eggs Royale which substitutes smoked salmon for Canadian bacon.

jam52,

Just an FYI. You can also request this in the Colonnade. They had it there as a special of the day and I inquired what it was as I was unfamiliar with the item. Actually, it is an easy substitution since the smoked salmon is always available.

Enjoy......Paula

I've never heard of Crab[cakes] Benedict but it certainly sounds tantalizing.

Eggs Benedict atop a crab cake instead of the usual English muffin. A rather decadent start to the day... and one I no doubt would enjoy more in the Restaurant, perhaps with a nice glass of morning bubbles.

It looks like my next go on Odyssey may be a 12 night cruise. I will have have to see if I can get my friend nolatravelgirl to breakfast in the Restaurant at least once so I can try to have something off-menu and complicated like Crabcake Benedict or such that benefits from the white tablecloth. But I'd suspect if it's as sunny as I hope for the cruise, it will be sunglasses at the Colonnade for breakfast in order to hit the pool deck sooner. :D

I am not "anti" MDR for breakfast, but I do quite enjoy my mornings sitting outside in the sunshine for breakfast. Now I am going to mention the word Carnival and probably be pelted with a champagne glass and caviar spoon for mentioning that CCL at least markets one thing that I would really like to see on Seabourn. On Carnival (never sailed them, just read the adverts) during sea days they offer brunch, which I think would be a great addition. I do love lingering brunch with bubbles and would gladly go to the MDR for such on a sea day. Breakfast closes at 10am which seems too early on a sea day when people are likely lounging and sleeping in.

I am not "anti" MDR for breakfast, but I do quite enjoy my mornings sitting outside in the sunshine for breakfast. Now I am going to mention the word Carnival and probably be pelted with a champagne glass and caviar spoon for mentioning that CCL at least markets one thing that I would really like to see on Seabourn. On Carnival (never sailed them, just read the adverts) during sea days they offer brunch, which I think would be a great addition. I do love lingering brunch with bubbles and would gladly go to the MDR for such on a sea day. Breakfast closes at 10am which seems too early on a sea day when people are likely lounging and sleeping in.

I think this is a terrific idea. The MDR could experiment by not having breakfast or lunch on a sea day and replacing both with a brunch and a brunch menu. However, I am not holding my breath for this change. And I am not aiming a champagne glass or caviar spoon at Nolatravelgirl for horrifying me with the mention of CCL...after all, we own the stock!

I will have have to see if I can get my friend nolatravelgirl to breakfast in the Restaurant at least once so I can try to have something off-menu and complicated like Crabcake Benedict or such that benefits from the white tablecloth. But I'd suspect if it's as sunny as I hope for the cruise, it will be sunglasses at the Colonnade for breakfast in order to hit the pool deck sooner. :D

Unless SB has changed its supplier, I would not recommend special ordering anything made of crabmeat. I did on the Legend last year (Godchaux salad) and the crabmeat used was stringy back fin :eek: - not a lump in sight. Doubt NOLAtravelgirl would approve.

On Carnival (never sailed them, just read the adverts) during sea days they offer brunch, which I think would be a great addition. I do love lingering brunch with bubbles and would gladly go to the MDR for such on a sea day. Breakfast closes at 10am which seems too early on a sea day when people are likely lounging and sleeping in.

Oh... I would LOVE brunch. That seems like a lovely way to spend a sea day. Even just a brunch menu (not any fancy displays like for Galley Market Lunch) would be lovely.

We do not understand this move by Seabourn in any way, shape or form.

Even 7-day cruises on mass market lines have an option for a sit-down-and-order-from-the-menu breakfast and lunch in a dining room versus a buffet restaurant where waiters will bring you things.

The dining room breakfast or lunch is a vacation luxury.

The buffet option (however you might dress it up) is not the same experience.

Different people like different experiences, but not offering both options on a luxury line seems ridiculous.

People seem to forget that these venues and meals have to be staffed. Staff sometimes take a break between meals. Now we are requesting brunch, a meal between other meals so that it becomes even more difficult for those who work so hard to get a few minutes to relax.

I think she said on sea days only, and in MDR, no breakfast, no lunch, just Brunch...

Might work???

Steve

From the sound of this thread it WOULDN"T work. I would love to see it, but right now people are complaining about the MDR not being open for breakfast. If they cut out breakfast and lunch for brunch, people would complain that they get up early and want a breakfast option and lunch option! You can't please all of the people all of the time!!

People seem to forget that these venues and meals have to be staffed. Staff sometimes take a break between meals. Now we are requesting brunch, a meal between other meals so that it becomes even more difficult for those who work so hard to get a few minutes to relax.

I really don't expect them to implement this, but since others were throwing out there whiney wants as far as venues and menu options, then I figured I would too. :D You will never please all the people all the time and I am not going to ding SB because they don't offer brunch.

LOL… no offence…but Brunch is for people who can't be bothered to get out of bed ;)

I hate the colonnade in Peak hour ( nothing worse than want to eat with just your companions and being subjected to a group and even worse when a table frees up and someone deserts …what did I do wrong… reality is nothing… but…

Seriously there are so many options

but SB if you are reading this The restaurant can be the place of choice for those who like to eat and enjoy in solitude

LOL… no offence…but Brunch is for people who can't be bothered to get out of bed ;)

Which is totally what some of us want to do a couple of days on vacation. An alarm clock on a sea day is the worst thing ever! Sadly I am discovering that the older I get, the less I am able to sleep in. By the time I'm retiring on one of the ships, I will be complaining about no early riser coffee!

in that case it sounds right up my street.:D Bring on the brunch at the crack of dawn (11am)! ;)

Seriously, it would suit me if that option existed but as already pointed out, it's not going to happen, sadly.

We were on a Silversea ship one New Year's Eve. We dined in their small supplementary charged restaurant that evening. When we got back to our suite later that night, there was an invitation for us to go to a special brunch (not a buffet) in that restaurant on New Year's Day. They kept it open till 11am, and the only people having breakfast there were the ones who'd dined there on NYE. It was a nice touch, and much appreciated as it did cause extra work for the crew. Not doable on a regular basis though.

We were on a Silversea ship one New Year's Eve. We dined in their small supplementary charged restaurant that evening. When we got back to our suite later that night, there was an invitation for us to go to a special brunch (not a buffet) in that restaurant on New Year's Day. They kept it open till 11am, and the only people having breakfast there were the ones who'd dined there on NYE. It was a nice touch, and much appreciated as it did cause extra work for the crew. Not doable on a regular basis though.

Restaurant 2 for brunch... that's a thought..... (while we are all playing armchair cruise line consultant :D)