cruise out of Galveston

george35

Hobby Lobby is the closest to Galveston still about a 45 minute ride and this is the airport that Southwest flys into. The other one I think is Bush and is about 1/2 hour further away so 1 1/4 hours approximately from Galveston. Royal does do transfers from both airports to the cruise terminal but only on day of cruise departure. I have sailed out of Galveston once, we flew into Hobby got a hotel and hired a car and driver to take us to the port the next day. There are a couple of choices of how to get there. Galveston Shuttle is one, hire a car and driver or RCI transfer are the most popular.

smileycar105.gif

I am going to book a cruise out of Galvestion, Tx. can any one tell me what airport to book, I mean which one is close to the cruise port??

george35

HOU airport code = Hobby Airport, approx. 40-50min from the cruise port

IAH airport code = George Bush International, approx. 1hr-1:15 away

I have always found better prices, flight times and connections to IAH. Maybe from where you fly from in Florida to Hobby will be cheaper but who knows. Both airports are not close to Galveston.

RCL provides bus transfers from both airports on the morning of the cruise, very easy to find them at baggage level of the airports. They run from approx. 9:30am - 12pm. You have to wait for the coach to fill with other flyers getting off planes before they leave... I've waited almost an hour on a previous cruise.

I just sailed on the Navigator last week, flew into IAH and prices were as follows:

• RCL bus $49 per person (allowing for 1.5-2 hours, slower/larger vehicle, loading off/on, baggage,etc
  • Taxi $150-$170 (depending on traffic)
  • private limo $130 + tip

Obviously best deal by far if you're 3 people or more, most convenient, most pleasurable and relaxing is limo hands down. I used Onyx Limo and was great. Picked me up on the minute I requested 9am and arrived front in front of the embarkation area of Galveston at 10:03am.

I strongly recommend flying in the day before and enjoying the afternoon and evening in Galveston. Really nice town to explore and visit. Try reserving at the Harbour House Hotel which is immediately beside the cruise terminal... great view and also great food close by, and 1 block to historic Strand area of Galveston.

I have a recent review posted here on cruise critic from last week if your interested with lots of photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040556

Have a great cruise! :D

This was several years ago, but we used Galveston Limo which is actually a shared ride van from Hobby to the port. They were very reliable and considerably less money than the cruise line transfers or a taxi. I think they will also pick you up at a hotel if you arrive the day before you sail. Check them out at galvestonlimo.com. :)

Another vote for Galveston Limo. They will pick up any day, not just sailing day, and they will drop off at your hotel if you are arriving the day before the cruise. YOu can see their round trip rates on their website.

Edited by 39august

I would vote for Hobby and use a car service so you don't have to wait for a buss to fill.

IAH is on the North side of Houston and HOU is on the south side and closer to Galveston. If you are coming in early, I would opt to stay on the Island since there is usually more to explore down there.