Restless Native Catamaran Cruise?

SunshineGoddess

• 2 weeks later...

Our family of five took this excursion last week based on recommendations from this site and the cruise line. We sailed on the Horizon. This was our fifth cruise and the worst excursion we had ever taken, by far. There were far too many passengers for the vessel and you couldn't move. The outside was completely filled, as was the inside and we were inside toward the rear and constantly had to move for passengers coming inside. We saw little or nothing of the scenery. When we anchored, some passengers were uncomfortable with the ladder. Joan was the tour guide and none of her employee's got in the water to assist them. I felt this was irresponsible and ignorant of them. It took over half an hour to get into the water for us. Joan also said that a highlight of the tour was that she would get in the water with you and point things out. Good luck! She was surrounded by a mass of people. All I saw in the water were the fins, feet, arms and snorkel masks of fellow passengers. Swimming off of Elbow Beach brought more interesting species of fish and wasn't nearly as crowded. To top it off, Joan was a snotty tour guide, who basically said she is living in paradise and the rest of us poor slobs are not. I could not wait to get off the boat when it docked. But luckily, since I was in the rear, I was first off. This last point was the only highlight to the excursion. As for the yummy cookies other posters have referred to, they are not worth $68 per person. Buy yourself a tube of Nestle's cookies in the super market and put them in the oven and you will have the same experience. I did complain to guest relations aboard the Horizon, but they had me fill out a card and basically said they could do nothing. Other aspects of our cruise were generally good and Bermuda is beautiful.

Our family of five took this excursion last week based on recommendations from this site and the cruise line. We sailed on the Horizon. This was our fifth cruise and the worst excursion we had ever taken, by far. There were far too many passengers for the vessel and you couldn't move. The outside was completely filled, as was the inside and we were inside toward the rear and constantly had to move for passengers coming inside. We saw little or nothing of the scenery. When we anchored, some passengers were uncomfortable with the ladder. Joan was the tour guide and none of her employee's got in the water to assist them. I felt this was irresponsible and ignorant of them. It took over half an hour to get into the water for us. Joan also said that a highlight of the tour was that she would get in the water with you and point things out. Good luck! She was surrounded by a mass of people. All I saw in the water were the fins, feet, arms and snorkel masks of fellow passengers. Swimming off of Elbow Beach brought more interesting species of fish and wasn't nearly as crowded. To top it off, Joan was a snotty tour guide, who basically said she is living in paradise and the rest of us poor slobs are not. I could not wait to get off the boat when it docked. But luckily, since I was in the rear, I was first off. This last point was the only highlight to the excursion. As for the yummy cookies other posters have referred to, they are not worth $68 per person. Buy yourself a tube of Nestle's cookies in the super market and put them in the oven and you will have the same experience. I did complain to guest relations aboard the Horizon, but they had me fill out a card and basically said they could do nothing. Other aspects of our cruise were generally good and Bermuda is beautiful.

I have been posting this same thing for the past year. We were like sardines, you could not walk anywhere without stepping on someone - but at least the woman went in the water with us. We also saw little fish. I wish you could have been on the Turtle Bay excusrions. We did that in St Georges and what difference - a bigger ship and much less people plus the private island was pristine - like virgin sand! Given all the food on receives on board, the cookies, while good and the cheese and crackers do not an excursion make.

Jeanne, did you like the rum swizzles? I actually didn't like them (it didn't stop me from drinking 3 of them though :eek: ). I had never had a rum swizzle before so I don't know if its just a taste I haven't acquired or if it was a bad batch. I think they tasted like they were made with passion-fruit and mango or something like that which I normally like, but it had a really "off" taste to me. It was hot, we had just been snorkelling for an hour (or so), and the rum swizzles were cold and wet! Other people were commenting how good they were, so it was probably just me. Maybe it was because my mouth was full of chocolate chip cookies! ;) Now those were yummy!!! I would have liked a glass of cold milk though! :D

I did not have them as it was too early in the morning but my sister thought they were great - better than the Turtle Bay.

If you read Sea Saw's review of the RN you can see how they had the same experience we did as far as the vessel being overbooked and crowded. I think that you were most fortunate in that this excursion cat be over booked. Any more passengers and they would have to go below deck.

Jeanne, did you like the rum swizzles? I actually didn't like them (it didn't stop me from drinking 3 of them though :eek: ). I had never had a rum swizzle before so I don't know if its just a taste I haven't acquired or if it was a bad batch. I think they tasted like they were made with passion-fruit and mango or something like that which I normally like, but it had a really "off" taste to me. It was hot, we had just been snorkelling for an hour (or so), and the rum swizzles were cold and wet! Other people were commenting how good they were, so it was probably just me. Maybe it was because my mouth was full of chocolate chip cookies! ;) Now those were yummy!!! I would have liked a glass of cold milk though! :D

I remember they did use Gosling's Dark Rum and a pre mixed bottle they referred to as Jungle Juice.

I wonder if the point of embarkation or which cruiseline you book through for the Restless Native tour makes a difference in how crowded the catamaran gets? We took the tour from King's Wharf with Royal Caribbean (Grandeur of the Seas) and I believe those of you who had the crowded catamaran were embarking elsewhere and booked through a different cruiseline? I would have hated it if our tour had been that crowded. When we first got on the catamaran I DID think it was going to be too crowded, but as soon as everyone dispersed to where they wanted to sit, it was fine. Our tour guides were awesome and the young girl who guided us snorkelers to the better areas (in the caves and over some reefs) was very knowledgable. We had a terrific time and the warm cookies really hit the spot after we worked up an appetite swimming. It is truly ashamed that they don't seem to have consistency in the quality of the product they are providing. I agree that the cookies alone are not worth the money of the tour. But, for us, the tour was awesome! If they keep getting bad reviews though, they are going to find their tours are a lot less crowded!

I wonder if the point of embarkation or which cruiseline you book through for the Restless Native tour makes a difference in how crowded the catamaran gets? We took the tour from King's Wharf with Royal Caribbean (Grandeur of the Seas) and I believe those of you who had the crowded catamaran were embarking elsewhere and booked through a different cruiseline? I would have hated it if our tour had been that crowded. When we first got on the catamaran I DID think it was going to be too crowded, but as soon as everyone dispersed to where they wanted to sit, it was fine. Our tour guides were awesome and the young girl who guided us snorkelers to the better areas (in the caves and over some reefs) was very knowledgable. We had a terrific time and the warm cookies really hit the spot after we worked up an appetite swimming. It is truly ashamed that they don't seem to have consistency in the quality of the product they are providing. I agree that the cookies alone are not worth the money of the tour. But, for us, the tour was awesome! If they keep getting bad reviews though, they are going to find their tours are a lot less crowded!

We booked through Celebrity's Zenith which is supposed to be somewhat more upscale than RCCL. My friends who went on our Radisson Tour did not find it crowded, but then there were only 441 passegners on board the ship and many were elderly.

Generally the morning tours are less crowded than afternoon, but we were on the morning one.

I believe the other poster was on Celebrity also - the Horizon. Last year all of us on the tour said we were going to write this up on the comment cards. Some also went to the excursion desk to complain.

Am sailing to Bermuda tomorrow on the Navigator. Will be mostly going to the beaches and shopping - the Turtle Bay (Rising Sun II) excursion is not offered when Navigator is in port, ut we may do the 3 hour Swim and Sail in St. Georges - a bargain at $46, especially for Radisson.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from Sept 3rd cruise on the Zenith to Bermuda and participated in The Reckless Native excursion and had a great experience. I am not an expert swimmer or snorkler and had an absolutely wonderful experience. We had a good crowd, but I wouldn't say it was overly "crowded" and Joan spent an incredible amount of time not only making sure people were comfortable and safe, but also very helpful in taking us around and pointing out the wonderful undersea life. We all had such a good time, that we actually stayed out longer than what was planned!! I only hope my undersea pictures capture the things I saw/experienced. :)

• 5 years later...
hi -- is this tour booked though the cruise or independently? i did not see it offered as an excursion on our upcoming August Celebrity Summit cruise. thanks.

Restless Native is usually offered as an excursion through the cruise line. Here is a link to their website. The website says they do offer the tour on Celebrity Summit. You can contact them via their website and see if they are offering the tour on YOUR Summit cruise though! :D Good luck. I hope it works out for you! We loved our experience on Restless Native! I just returned from another trip to Bermuda a few weeks ago, and I saw Restless Native sailing during my visit! She still looks good! ;)

http://www.restlessnative.bm/about/index.html

i booked with them online. lovely people,not too crowded,good swizzles,shallow swimming but the coral is pretty dead and very few fish. we were VERY disappointed as the snorkeling is all we really cared about. felt like we wasted half a day as we planned around it and had to skip other things. lovely people but if you are an exp snorkeler don't expect much. delicious cookies and fun entertainment at the end.

I agree: we saw very few fish.

I seem to remember the snorkeling was not too bad when we were there. We also snorkeled into an underwater cave, which was awesome. But, keep in mind it was over 5 years ago when I snorkeled with Restless Native, so things do change! Sadly, for the coral reefs, those changes are typically NOT for the better. :(

I will say that when I was just in Bermuda a few weeks ago, we saw the most AMAZING Parrotfish, right in Jobson's Cove! You did not have to snorkel to see them either! They were just swimming all around you! I was standing in waist-deep crystal-clear water and could see them right through the water. They looked exactly like this, and were almost 2 feet long...

Parrot_Fish.JPG

Archived