16 year old grandson in solarium issue

There is a reason for the rule 16 and older. I have kids, but when I cruise, I don't want to listen to someone elses kids in the solarium. It is designated as an adult area. Sometimes people want to go where there are no kids. Some people don't have them, because they choose not to. It doesn't make them kid haters. I just got off the Splendor on our Greece cruise, and there was a couple with their ten month old son in diapers in the solarium pool. The couple then took their son over to the hot tub and then got in. If we are going to break the rule for 16 and older, then let us break the rules for diapers in the pools. Let smokers smoke on the balcony. When is it okay to bend or break the rules. There will always be arguments on why rules should be broken. And we need to to teach our children that our society is based on rules. Rules are not suggestions.

I don't think anyone is saying rules should be broken. I just think some people have too much of an interest in what other people are doing, and any breaking of rules should be handled by security, not fellow passengers.

We took our DD and her BFF on the Freedom to celebrate their 16th bdays. One day I was reading in the Solarium and the girls were in the hot tubs...they were just sitting there talking...and I know this because I kept an eye on them. An attendant walked up and told them they could not be in the hot tub and that it was 18 and older. They came over to the chairs to get their towels and when they told me what he said I told them they did not have to leave. My DD said, "Mom, its not worth an argument....we'll go find something else to do". The cruise was during spring break so I'm sure the attendants were a bit more concerned but the girls were 16 and allowed in the Solarium. I think during spring break time, they bend their own rules to try to keep the (complaining) adults happy.

I always wonder why people need a pool patrol or security to tell people the solarium is an adult-only place. On Liberty, a young mom with a toddler came to the solarium and took a lounge-chair. I went to her and told her politely that kids are not allowed here. Turned out, she spoke only French, did not see the sign, apologized, thanked me for informing her and left.

On Oasis, a couple with a stroller came into the solarium and took the chairs next to me, stroller with kid in between. I told them politely that kids are not allowed here and the answer was: "But he's asleep!" Yeah, great... :rolleyes:

You see, you can always tell people about the rules in a friendly way. Some understand, some don't. That's life. No need to watch them like a hawk, just at least TRY to speak to them.

I can understand that you may have felt the need to point out to the lady with the toddler that the child shouldn't be there if the child was running around, but to be honest, I think if I was the parent of the sleeping child, I would have told you politely to mind your own business.

We took our DD and her BFF on the Freedom to celebrate their 16th bdays. One day I was reading in the Solarium and the girls were in the hot tubs...they were just sitting there talking...and I know this because I kept an eye on them. An attendant walked up and told them they could not be in the hot tub and that it was 18 and older. They came over to the chairs to get their towels and when they told me what he said I told them they did not have to leave. My DD said, "Mom, its not worth an argument....we'll go find something else to do". The cruise was during spring break so I'm sure the attendants were a bit more concerned but the girls were 16 and allowed in the Solarium. I think during spring break time, they bend their own rules to try to keep the (complaining) adults happy.

As if there were not how many other hot tubs and pools on Freedom? I am guessing they wanted to act like they were grown ups in the solarium. If 16 is the age, it is the age. The complaining adults do not know how old your child is and they did the proper thing - told an attendant, unfortunately he did not know the rules, or decided to make up his own.

I can understand the rules as I have been on a RC ship while a 3/4 year old walked the edge of the solarium pool barefoot and NO parent around.

It is indoor and sound travels off the glass (screaming kids). I love kids, it is my job of 39 years pre school teacher, but when on vacation if I want adult time I go where I expect it.

The sleeping toddler is not on the same level of breaking a rule because upon waking the child could be remove with stroller but it is a nice quiet place to snooze.

Oh man am I going to be asked repeatedly on my cruise in February if I am allowed to be in the solarium pool. At that point I will be 5 months shy of 40( :() but I look like I'm barely 22.

Why the sad face? If you weren't close to turning 40, you wouldn't be among the living.:)

After three championships, those Sox fans have turned into pushovers. My in-laws are all Bostonians and I couldn't watch a game with them before '04. I consider myself a die hard fan but those guys were rabid. Now they're getting up for beers in the middle of the inning. Who does that??? :confused::D

Angelenos.

Good point, but she knew I was her mother because I told her that she was my daughter. Because my daughter has Celiac Disease, when ever we go out, as soon as a waitstaff approaches me, I always tell them my daughter has Celiac before ordering anything, even drinks.

Not to take this too far off topic, but how does the waitress know that was your child and how long the ring has been on your hand, etc, etc?

More and more stores are requiring to check the dob of everyone purchasing alcohol. So, yes, this 60+ grandmother gets asked for her dob when purchasing wine at the grocery she shops at every week. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, it is not my roll to question or tell people where they can or cannot be, the cruise line has staff for that job. But we also have once again, everyone with their - my 14 or 15 year old graduate of Harvard is better behaving than my drunken sister.

Thing is - it is a quiet, boring area with a very nice pool and hot tub. Why would any teen want to hang around a bunch of old foggies?

Also - JUST BECAUSE SOME ADULTS ON THE SHIP THINK THERE SHOULD BE SOME ACTUAL ADULT AREAS DO NOT MAKE US CHILD HATERS. and yes, I was yelling.

Last week on Freedom we were in the Solarium pool and a woman sits down right by the edge with her nine or ten year old sun. Kid keeps scooting himself closer and closer to the water and finally slips into the pool. At that point I very gently and I truly mean very gently said "You know, this is an adult only pool." Her reply to me - "Oh I know. We'll just stay here until they tell us to get out!" She said this right in front of her son. Nice parenting lady! Way to teach him that rules are meant to be broken because you are just so special.

Edited by cello56

Carnival serenity area has a locked door where you need to swipe your card and if you are at age then your in and if not oh well

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Which ship? This has not been my experience on Carnival. :rolleyes:

I have never really noticed "kid's" in the solarium and I certainly understand that those that do show up do not belong. I have kids, I don't use the solarium and that is the reason why. I have kids, and I want to be where they belong! I have been in the location, and it seems like a nice quite place, where elderly mingle and not much fun looking. I respect that and so should others.

Which ship? This has not been my experience on Carnival. :rolleyes:

I agree i find it the opposite. Carnival rarely ever enforces the adult only pool rules.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Which ship(s)?

Carnival serenity area has a locked door where you need to swipe your card and if you are at age then your in and if not oh well

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Edited by awhcruiser

The Odd thing is he is pretty tall for his age. Also well behaved, acts very mature, no running diving or splashing. I was just wondering do some feel its not ok or just grumpy about kids in general?

I wish more adults were like your mature, well-behaved grandson. My problem is with the drunk adults that gets into the hot tub and are so loud and obnoxious that you can't hear the person so close to you that y'all touching shoulders.