USB connection/Inputs on flat screen TVs in rooms

We are booked this fall with both our kids. We are thinking that maybe nighttime movies would be a good idea if needed and I wondered with our IPads its fairly easy to connect to a TV to view movies. Do you know if there is access to input connections on the TVs on the newer/newly renovated RC ships in the staterooms?

We are booked this fall with both our kids. We are thinking that maybe nighttime movies would be a good idea if needed and I wondered with our IPads its fairly easy to connect to a TV to view movies. Do you know if there is access to input connections on the TVs on the newer/newly renovated RC ships in the staterooms?
Yes, but not sure if you can access them unless you bring along your own Samsung remote.

On the Grandeur they have the new flat screen TVs. We bought a cheap ($20) DVD player and were able to watch our movies on this hooked up to the TV. It came with a remote so we did not have any problem.

Hooked up Xbox on both RCCL and Carnival. The remote in the cabin would not allow you to switch inputs so the first time we sailed we stopped at the first port and bought a cheap universal remote. Then we just looked up the code for the TV and it worked fine. Next time we just made sure to take the remote with us.

I heard reports of success if you bring your own remote. However I have not tried this.

I brought a 'universal' remote with us on the last cruise. Previous to that I had no success getting the TV to switch to alternate inputs. I found the right code to control the TV, but still I could NOT switch to alternate inputs.

One could try, but it is unlikely that one could get the alternate inputs to work.

Im doing a B2B Transatlantic in the fall and have purchased a small projector to show movies right on the wall and already have auxiliary speakers. I know I will get tired of the same shows over and over again.

I've not yet seen any TVs on Royal ships that are able to select the auxillliary inputs.

Bob, on Oasis in March the input selectors on the front, right edge side of the screen, near the bottom worked. You really had to look to find them as they are blended so well into the TV. They were not locked. IT still had to hook the HDMI cable in for us due to the tight fit, my hands were to big and DW fingers weren't long enough to reach. We were able to run the tv without the extra remote usually needed.

On a side note, this was in a CL, so I am not sure if all other TVs on board here set up in the same manner. The TV in the upper bedroom did not work with the HDMI cable.

This was the first time we had such easy success. In the past we also needed a Samsung remote for the Oasis class ships. We are back on Oasis in under two weeks and we are waiting to see if it as easy again. We are in a different cabin but deck 17 again. I am hoping GoPro HDMI hooked into one TV, and iPad HDMI hooked up in the other.

Edited by A&L_Ont

• 1 month later...
Bob, on Oasis in March the input selectors on the front, right edge side of the screen, near the bottom worked. You really had to look to find them as they are blended so well into the TV.

We are back on Oasis in under two weeks and we are waiting to see if it as easy again. We are in a different cabin but deck 17 again. I am hoping GoPro HDMI hooked into one TV, and iPad HDMI hooked up in the other.

A&L_Ont,

Just wondering how your experience was on the latest cruise, and

Anyone,

should any recent samsung remote work (just seeing what is available on Amazon)?

Also wondering if somehow a Chromecast may work, as I would like to do a mini-group photo show in our cabin, and it would be nice for our phones to all connect wirelessly, or at least the laptop. Would I need my own network (maybe via a cell phone hotspot)?

Not USB, but on Navigator there was an HDMI input available when using the channel up/down buttons... I think it was CH3. It was the channel up from the interactive channel. I never tested it out, but it always said something along the lines of "HDMI input 1, no connection at this time".

A&L_Ont,

Just wondering how your experience was on the latest cruise, and

Anyone,

should any recent samsung remote work (just seeing what is available on Amazon)?

Also wondering if somehow a Chromecast may work, as I would like to do a mini-group photo show in our cabin, and it would be nice for our phones to all connect wirelessly, or at least the laptop. Would I need my own network (maybe via a cell phone hotspot)?

For our cruise I was able to hook up our IPad mini with an HDMI cable to our lower television. The TV was mounted in such a way that I was able to get the HDMI cable attached. It was tight, but I got it. For the TV in the loft it was very easy to hook up the HDMI gopro cable.

We are on great terms will all the deck 17 cabin stewards as we have sailed with almost all of them on Oasis, or previously on Allure. I am not sure if they do this for every guest, but they found a samsung remote for our use while on board.

I can't answer for Chromecast as I haven't used it. As for wifi we use the ships internet. I think the cellular charges for your own hotspot would be rather pricey. Can you could connect your laptop to your TV and use it as a large moniter for the slide show presentation? Perhaps someone else can give some ideas or guidance.

IT isn't my strongpoint. I guess I could work for RC, on we page design. :D;)