A consideration about Oceania Hotels

Mura

This is meant as an alert for people who want to use Oceania's hotels pre- or post-cruise. I'm not trying to tell you NOT to use them because I know that many people prefer the security of booking through Oceania even if it usually costs you more.

But on one of our last mornings in London this past week we encountered a couple at St. Ermine's Hotel. They recognized us from the ship and said hello.

While we were talking it came out that they had booked 3 nights through Oceania whereas we were staying there on our own. (A number of us in our group had booked on points through Marriott's Chase credit card.)

The husband was stunned to find out that St. Ermin's is a Marriott ... he's a platinum member. He paid a lot of money to book through Oceania when he'd have gotten many more benefits had he booked on his own. Not to mention that he'd have saved a lot of money!

The only reason I'm posting this is as a head's up for people who are members of hotel plans ... if you want to use O's hotels (and I'm NOT telling you not to do so) it wouldn't hurt to check out which chain the hotel belongs to! That's a serious consideration.

In our case, we booked using points, as I said, and when we got home we discovered that because of a prior problem Marriott had upgraded us to platinum ... but we didn't know that until we got home and now we probably won't be able to use those benefits. We'd have LOVED to have known that we were platinum before we got to London!

So we lost a bit, too, although not nearly as much as this couple did. (The husband took it well! He figured they'll be back in London soon and can use their platinum benefits then.)

Mura

This is meant as an alert for people who want to use Oceania's hotels pre- or post-cruise. I'm not trying to tell you NOT to use them because I know that many people prefer the security of booking through Oceania even if it usually costs you more.

But on one of our last mornings in London this past week we encountered a couple at St. Ermine's Hotel. They recognized us from the ship and said hello.

While we were talking it came out that they had booked 3 nights through Oceania whereas we were staying there on our own. (A number of us in our group had booked on points through Marriott's Chase credit card.)

The husband was stunned to find out that St. Ermin's is a Marriott ... he's a platinum member. He paid a lot of money to book through Oceania when he'd have gotten many more benefits had he booked on his own. Not to mention that he'd have saved a lot of money!

The only reason I'm posting this is as a head's up for people who are members of hotel plans ... if you want to use O's hotels (and I'm NOT telling you not to do so) it wouldn't hurt to check out which chain the hotel belongs to! That's a serious consideration.

In our case, we booked using points, as I said, and when we got home we discovered that because of a prior problem Marriott had upgraded us to platinum ... but we didn't know that until we got home and now we probably won't be able to use those benefits. We'd have LOVED to have known that we were platinum before we got to London!

So we lost a bit, too, although not nearly as much as this couple did. (The husband took it well! He figured they'll be back in London soon and can use their platinum benefits then.)

Mura

Bottom line is that you have to be almost certifiable to book hotels with O. I have never found a case where their rates were not about 2x what you can book yourself. Transfers from airport or to the ship are usually a small cost if you do some research on line. Use the same hotel, but book on your own or thru your TA.

Okay, even though we ourselves wouldn't book through O, I want to make some sort of defense for those who will.

It has been pointed out that for a one day in advance (or post cruise) it can equal out. We haven't done so yet but would consider it. What I recall was said is that you eliminate the deviation fee if you're going in one day in advance (or after) on an Oceania plan. You avoid transfer fees as well. So it CAN be cost effective.

I agree that if you are staying longer, it's not justifiable in terms of cost. (At least not for us! We have stayed at the same hotels Oceania was using for a fraction of the cost by doing it on our own.)

But some people aren't secure enough to travel on their own, to transfer on their own, and so on.

We wouldn't do it either but I won't castigate those who choose to do so, anymore than I castigate people who prefer ship's tours to DIY tours.

By the way, if anyone is going to be in Dublin or Corner Brook, I have a couple of fab guides to recommend. (The Dublin tour was outside of the city. The Corner Brook tour was to Gros Morne National Park.)

Mura

Mura, Just curious about which Marriott you used in London. We're doing the Marina British Isles Medley July 2015 and plan on staying pre cruise in London for at least 3 days. I have 3 possible Marriott hotels on my list- all with good access to the train systems. As you, we use our Marriott Chase points for pre and post stays, only way to go, IMO. Have Stockholm Marriott pre cruise this August- Marina Viking Trails.

Thanks,

Herb

We usually book our own hotels independent of O for some of the reasosns stated by others.

But, we did use the O hotel pre-cruise for three days in Bejing and were very pleased. The transfers from the airport and later to the ship were easy. The O representatives in the lobby offered excellent excursions at a fair price. The hotel offered excursions would have had us going from hotel to hotel to pick up participants thus lengthening the trip.

Absolutely agree – you should check out any arrangement you are making.

If you are a value shopper looking for the best value for luxury travel – it IS insane to use OC or anyone; including a T/A for that matter to find hotel rooms. You will only find the best deal doing your own research using multiple websites and engines – and time. The same person looking for the $250 Ritz-Carlton room hidden in some clearing house will also find the $20 transfer vs. the OC $100 pp transfer (or whatever for that port).

Value shoppers usually take it all the way. If you don’t care about value it’s all moot– it is one click and you are done.

Regarding the “stunned” couple - I am “stunned” to see a Platinum Member – who supposedly travels a lot to accrue that status - is “stunned to find out that St. Ermin's is a Marriott.” Really? He doesn’t check – with so many brands under Marriott. Not every hotel managed by Marriott (or any hotel management company) contains the name Marriott. The St. Ermin’s is managed by Marriott and keeps its personality and pedigree. It is part of the Autograph Collection (think Sheraton Luxury Collection):

“The Autograph Collection, a new brand within the company’s global portfolio comprised of upper upscale and luxury, independent, hotels with distinctive personalities in major cities and desired destinations worldwide.”

Not really Red Roof Inn or mainstream Marriott.

The hotel should have known your DH was a Platinum, if was at the time of check-in. I never present my card (now lifetime). If he was upgraded from Gold to Platinum the only real advantage is the arrival gift.

Even if the friend the cruise line book for them because they were Platinum they still get the benefits (lounge, free internet). When we booked Celebrity Galapagos two nights at the Quito Marriott are included. I received the Platinum recognition from the hotel (including points for the extras).

Edited by PaulMCO

Mura, Just curious about which Marriott you used in London. We're doing the Marina British Isles Medley July 2015 and plan on staying pre cruise in London for at least 3 days. I have 3 possible Marriott hotels on my list- all with good access to the train systems. As you, we use our Marriott Chase points for pre and post stays, only way to go, IMO. Have Stockholm Marriott pre cruise this August- Marina Viking Trails.

Thanks,

Herb

Herb,

By now you may have noticed that we were at St. Ermin's Hotel, near Westminster. The hotel was the headquarters of the French resistance in WWII. Remodeling has made the rooms typically European-small. In fact, we changed from the "superior" category to a "king deluxe" because we didn't even have room for two suitcases in the first room. It's a lovely hotel but! The nearest tube station is St. James Park which is not the most convenient for traveling around London.

A London friend of ours comments that it's an inconvenient location. But if you want to be by sights like Parliament, Westminster, St. James Park, etc., it's good. The street is small and quiet. It's NOT the only top hotel in the vicinity -- the Intercontinental is just down the street. (Technically St. Ermin's is a 4 star.)

You probably will want to stay at one of the other Marriotts if you intend to do a lot of travel by tube.

(And certainly a good point that reception should have been aware that this guy was platinum ... but they didn't seem to know we were silver either. Actually, when we got home we discovered that we'd been upgraded to platinum -- which I suppose the hotel's computer should have realized as well. But maybe not since the reservation was made in my name and the platinum membership is my husband's.)

Mura

I would recommend from a location point of view the Marriott on Duke Strret (Grosvenor Square). Location -- near tube, Hyde Park and walking distance to Bond Street and even West End Theaters.

We had no troubles making a booking for next month there using points.

We were at St Ermin's too. Enjoyed the hotel. Took the tube to Victoria & Albert, Tower of London & British Museum on different occasions. Walked to St James Park & Buckingham Palace. Using 2 new Marriot cards paid for 2 of 3 nights with points. Room was large enough, just a marked shortage of drawers and shelves.

Some of the most spectacular views in London (and the world) are from Thames/Parliament/Big Ben view rooms at the London Marriott County Hall. As a platinum or gold, you would almost certainly be upgraded to one, even if you booked a less expensive room. Tube is a short walk across the Thames. Also lots of good reviews for JW Marriott Grosvenor House and St. Pancras Renaissance. If you like the young and ultra-hip crowd, there's the new London Edition. All under the Marriott umbrella.

As to Marriott status, if you make a reservation other than through the Marriott system, it's important to contact the hotel in advance to add your Marriott Rewards number to the reservation. Adding the MR number to the reservation in advance allows the hotel to see elite status, and take into account when assigning rooms prior to arrival.