Leaving stuff unattended?

This may be a stupid question, but do we just leave our stuff unattended when in coco cay? I mean if we were in the ocean swimming or snorkeling, we just leave our towels, passkeys, wallets at out blanket or chair? Are there lockers or something similar or is everyone pretty trustworthy? Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't know if I would be comfortable just leaving stuff around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get lockers. They cost I think $8.00. I never bring much with me. My passkey fits in my sport wallet, which stays in my swim trunk. I bring only a very small amount of money. There is not much of need for anything else. Since this is a private area. Honestly, there are a thousand blue RCCL towels around, so I doubt someone would take it!

We never take much with us, no wallet or anything of great black/grey market value but do carry some cash in our sea pass holder, we bought at Hobby Lobby, not much but you never know when you might find something that you cannot live without. We just leave cameras(yes a water proof one) or what ever, slightly concealed on the lounge. I guess you just have to trust that people will be honest. Never had a problem on RC private island venues. However there are reports from time to time of some issues on Labadee (SP).

Edited by north29

You don't have to worry about your towels, or shorts, flip-flops or other basic stuff. Dont' bring anything of great value....leave your ipads, phones, etc...on the ship. You don't need cash, unless you want to buy something from the "straw market"....junk...so don't bother. Everything else will be paid with your seapass....and it can get wet, if you don't want to leave it in your beach bag or shoe or shorts....whatever. You will easily be able to see your "spot" on the beach from the water.

You really won't need to bring more than a small bag to carry stuff like sunscreen, a towel, maybe a book (if you like reading on the beach), or anything else you might need on a beach. Make sure you have your Seapass, you really won't need any cash unless you plan on buying something in the little market area they have. Leave your valuables on the ship in your cabin safe.

There are lockers available on the island for your use and there is a charge for them. I have never had a problem on Coco Cay leaving my towel and small backpack at my beach chair if I want to go in the water. Most people are pretty honest but you know there is always that one person in bunch that could cause a problem and be a thief. Just use a little common sense and you should be fine.

Edited by Eng23

There are members here who have reported thefts on the private islands. It does happen upon occasion.

Yes it does. And for people to post on here not to worry about is just plain stupid advice. And I don't use the word stupid on these boards very often. "Stuff" happens an the private stops just like "stuff" happens aboard the ships. People should not leave their streetwise smarts at home when they go on vacation.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Tips from a mom of three who loves the beach. Bring a diaper with you on your vay-cay. Don't have any little ones? Ask a neighbour or friend for a clean unused diaper. Then put your valuables in it and wrap it up like its got a full load and leave it with your beach bag. :D Trust me, no one's through that and your valuables will be safe.

This may be a stupid question, but do we just leave our stuff unattended when in coco cay? I mean if we were in the ocean swimming or snorkeling, we just leave our towels, passkeys, wallets at out blanket or chair? Are there lockers or something similar or is everyone pretty trustworthy? Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't know if I would be comfortable just leaving stuff around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave our stuff all the time. If we snorkel, I take my waterproof container for our money/seapass cards, but we leave my Kindle, towels, etc at our chairs and never worry about it. Leave camera, kindle and such in our backpack and go and enjoy ourselves.

There are members here who have reported thefts on the private islands. It does happen upon occasion.

guess we are lucky, have been at CocoCay and Labadee a ton of times and we never have any issues. We go to the beach every weekend at home and never have any issues. Have found that "beach" people pretty much look out for each other. I just close my backpack or beach bag and we go do what we want - walk or shop or snorkel and just don't worry about my kindle or camera, I know it will be there when I get back

Another vote for taking essentially nothing with you:

Yes, you need your ship ID, but that's about it. I always make sure to buy my husband swim trunks that include a zippered or velcroed pocket, and he carries both our cards. He also carries a couple dollars (like less than $10) in case we need to tip someone, but we don't shop on the private islands.

We take a disposable camera, sunscreen, paperback books, and ship towels. That type of thing no one is going to bother.

Last time we were in Labadee someone stole not one but both of my kids' floating beach mats. Kids used them for 1/2 hour or so. We went to get something to eat, left towels, sunscreen, etc on the chair, left beach mats UNDER chairs. We return and everything is still there BUT the beach mats. I was very annoyed, kids very disappointed because there were no more mats to rent. No one sitting around us saw anyone take our mats (of course). Said something to Customer Relations when we got back on board and they credited me what I paid to rent the mats. I was kind of surprised they refunded me but it definitely made me feel better about our day.

Tips from a mom of three who loves the beach. Bring a diaper with you on your vay-cay. Don't have any little ones? Ask a neighbour or friend for a clean unused diaper. Then put your valuables in it and wrap it up like its got a full load and leave it with your beach bag. :D Trust me, no one's through that and your valuables will be safe.

That is funny! And hello again....I believe we cruised with you over Thanksgiving 2013 :) :)

Last year on the Mariner, I left my sunglasses by my chair at the pool. I went back for them 20 minutes later and they were gone. I checked with lost and found for the rest of the cruise and they were never returned.

We have done that with sunglasses (more than once) and a camera. Never returned. Only once did we get something returned, and that was a sweater left in the MDR.