Little Sisters

Capri73

We love the Little Sisters. The pool location does not even bother us. We are looking at an Odyssey trip. Will we be disappointed? Have looked at Windstar but although the ship is the same the company is very different. Help.

We love the Little Sisters. The pool location does not even bother us. We are looking at an Odyssey trip. Will we be disappointed? Have looked at Windstar but although the ship is the same the company is very different. Help.

We also love the little sisters. When we did our first cruise on the big sisters (Odyssey) last year I was concerned about how I would feel. There was pluses and minuses........I prefer the club and the duo singers on little but love the variety of dining, Seabourn Square and public spaces on the big.

I still found it easy to meet people and chat with passengers and crew........in fact this year when we hopped on Sojourn we met some crew that we had sailed with before on the little sisters, so that was nice. :)

I found my second cruise on the big sisters I was comparing less and enjoying more.

We have a last cruise booked on Legend later this year and will miss the ship. But I have to admit I enjoy the interaction we have with the crew and they aren't going to Windstar.

This is my opinion only but I hope it helps.

The material differences experienced on the newer, bigger ships (Oddysey, Sojourn & Quest) are, in my view:

- Seabourn Square

- much improved pool and pool deck space, including Grill

- separate Restaurant 2

- Colonnades as a dining venue for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a lot more outdoor dining space

- much improved Gym facilities and Spa

- all V suites basically the same and with separate shower and great walk-in robe

The negatives relate to the entertainment where my view is that the bands on the smaller ships are better and offer more variety.

Otherwise, service, food etc is generally comparable.

Having started on the smaller ships we are now definitely fNs of the newer (larger) ships.

I concur with secoma4. And that said, I want to emphasize that what pleases me most about the Odyssey class ships is SPACE. That makes all the difference, approximately 30% more space per passenger, and a true luxury experience. I hope you see the difference as soon as you tour the generous decks, cabins and public rooms when you join the ship.

Happy sailing!

We sailed the Odyssey first, then the Legend and last, the Quest. Much prefer the larger ship. We thought the space was far more comfortable and we found it equally congenial and very easy to meet people. After all, there are only so many people you can get to know in a 2-week span. Would LOVE a quiet trio with a good singer in the club, where the incessant, loud rock-type music turned us off, but we did try. Otherwise, entertainment does not matter much to us, although I realize it does to many people.

I am one of those who will miss the triplets dearly. they are what defined Seabourn and luxury cruising for many years. That said, Seabourn, even on the larger ships, is till the best there is imo.

Thanks for posting this thread - I was going to ask pretty much the same question: after 5 cruises on the little sisters (which we love) we are soon to take our first on the Odyssey.

One of our habitual pleasures has been to wander up to the Sky Bar after dinner for a nightcap or two. We usually dine as early as possible, so will often be at the Sky Bar around 8.30 pm. It is always peaceful and relaxing, never crowded and we look forward to a cognac under the stars with a light sea breeze and interesting conversation.

I notice that on Odyssey the Sky Bar frequently closes at 6.30:(.

So, where can we go? I see that the patio bar is open late, so we could get our cognacs there and wander up to the Sky Bar area, but I am guessing that the Patio Grill will still be serving, there will be the clatter of plates, cooking, and the noise of dinner converstation. The pool deck outside the club looks to be another option, but we don't want to contend with loud music from the band etc.

Where else is there that we can enjoy the equivalent of a Sky Bar evening under the stars ?

Plenty of choice. The staff servicing the Grill and pool deck area will serve you on the upper level which has tables. Whilst the Grill is in use it is, in our experience, not noisy and given that the overall deck space is much larger than the smaller ships, there Is still plenty of space that is not utilized for dining. There is a corner with lounges that might suit.

Then there is the outdoor area of Seabourn Square on Deck 7.

The aft deck outside The Club is not noisy and can be serviced by the Club. Bar staff.

There is also your own balcony with whatever you want provided. By room service.

I think you will find there are more quiet places than on the smaller ships.

Thanks for your comments , secoma4 - very reassuring ...

Just one more question - I noticed on another thread talk of 'noise and bustle' and 'Peak Hour' at the Colonnade. When are peak hours for breakfast and lunch ? Is there huge competition for an outside table? Is it really such a madhouse?

In our experience, the Colonnade was less of a "madhouse" than the cramped veranda on the smaller ships, where we often had to wait for a table or share tables. The buffet area itself on the larger ship is quite large. Even at peak times, just prior to a shore excursion, I never felt jostled by other people. You might have to wait a minute to put your toast in the toaster at breakfast. We almost always were able to obtain a seat outside and if we couldn't, it was because we arrived quite late. If you have to sit inside, well, it's not exactly Siberia. Once seated, you can order your breakfast or lunch and not use the buffet….they are happy to bring you anything from the buffet as well. There is always the choice to have lunch outside at the grill by the pool a bit later. Great hamburgers and fries, pizza, nice salads and little skewers of lamb or chicken. On our last cruise, with nice weather every day, we found we enjoyed that more than the Colonnade.

Thanks for your comments , secoma4 - very reassuring ...

Just one more question - I noticed on another thread talk of 'noise and bustle' and 'Peak Hour' at the Colonnade. When are peak hours for breakfast and lunch ? Is there huge competition for an outside table? Is it really such a madhouse?

I completely agree with secoma4's post.

For breakfast especially,I sometimes prefer the quiet and calmer energy in the MDR to the Colonnade, but please be reassured that the Colonnade isn't a madhouse, nor is it a "zoo", as I've seen it described here. It does get busy but it's not dreadfully noisy, nor have we seen any pushing and shoving in there, as mentioned on another thread.

We've rarely had a problem getting an outside table when we want one.

Edited by Nigella

Our experience is that Colonnades is less crowded than the similar venue on smaller ships. If there is an occasion when it gets crowded eg all tours leaving around the same time, and a lot of people trying to squeeze in breakfast just before they get off, then they open up R2. Lunch is usually not a problem because people are returning from excursions at different times or have stayed ashore. In the evenings there are often nights when it is more likely to be "quiet" rather than a "zoo".

The only feature we do not like on the small Sisters is the veranda cafe (don't use pools anyway). It is noisy, with a hard floor, and usually crowded particularly inside.

The Colonnade on the big Sisters has carpeting on the side with the tables, and hard flooring where it matters. There is a low dividing 'wall' between the two areas. Sometimes you will have to share a table, but it is never noisy, and you can have everything served if that is what you wish, with plenty of staff to help. If it is important to have a table just for 2, go early on sea days or after tours have departed on port days. Staff clear tables quickly, and there is a fairly quick turnover, particularly at breakfast. We like it very much for breakfast and lunch, and occasionally for dinner.

Thanks for all the comments folks - it's good to be able to put aside those little niggling uncertainties and really start looking forward to our first 'big girl' cruise. I used to enjoy the Sky Grill lunches on the little sisters and my wife is a big fan of all the salads that were available at lunch in the Veranda. Everything seems to be aligning nicely.

When we were last on Legend (Dec 2013) we spoke to a few people who were trying a little sister for the first time after having been on one of the big ships. They all preferred the Odyssey-class experience, for one reason or another. Hopefully we will be converted too, though I still maintain that the three little sisters were (and still are) the best looking cruise ships ever built ....

Edited by Flamin_June