Transportation from Bayonne to EWR airport

TopofWorld

Hi to all. I do not know where to ask this, but since we will be on a Celebrity cruise I thought I might try it here. We will be returning to New Jersey port on August 3rd after a weeklong cruise to Bermuda and we will need transportation to the New Jersey airport (EWR) for the long flight home. I could not locate any info in any other boards, so my questions:

1. Are there taxis waiting at the port to take us to the airport or do I need to prebook a private transfer?

2. Does any one know if Celebrity offers prepaid / prearranged airport transfers? If yes, what is the cost? I tried this in their website but could not find it.

Thank you all

I did the Summit cruise to Bermuda on June 1 and also needed transportation from the port to EWR. When you get off the ship, get your luggage, go through immigration and then go outside you will have choices. Turn right to go towards the ship provided shuttles which were about $28 per person - you can buy transfers on the ship during your cruise. If you turn left when you exit you will be walking towards awaiting taxis. Before you get to the taxis there is an area where you can get a shuttle to the airport - that is what I used. I hadn't prearranged anything before I got off the ship.

The cost of this shuttle was $16 per person, which was paid to the driver once you got to the airport. The shuttles were vans and there were 8 of us in the van I was in. The driver dropped each of us off at whichever terminal we needed. I was very happy with this service and would definitely use it again.

Hi to all. I do not know where to ask this, but since we will be on a Celebrity cruise I thought I might try it here. We will be returning to New Jersey port on August 3rd after a weeklong cruise to Bermuda and we will need transportation to the New Jersey airport (EWR) for the long flight home. I could not locate any info in any other boards, so my questions:

1. Are there taxis waiting at the port to take us to the airport or do I need to prebook a private transfer?

2. Does any one know if Celebrity offers prepaid / prearranged airport transfers? If yes, what is the cost? I tried this in their website but could not find it.

Thank you all

For further info, here's a link to the East Coast departures board, very helpful people over there as there is on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

My husband and myself have just returned from Summit cruise to Bermuda. We took a Celebrity transfer. It was $28 each. We purchased the transfer while on board. The bus was over to the right as you leave the terminal building . The dispatcher checks your name off the list. The driver puts your luggage in the section for the terminal you are using and drops you off at the terminal you want. . It was very simple. We left the ship around 8.30 but the bus didn't leave till after 9am. We had a great cruise. Bermuda is lovely and very user friendly.

We just returned from our Summit cruise on Sunday (6/15/14). After exiting the building, turn left for the taxi area. There are also shuttles to the airport. My sister and her husband took shuttle at $15/pp. We took "taxi" (5 of us) and the fare was $75. So I guess that works out to be the same price. I'm not from NY area, but $75 for a 15 min taxi ride seems high. What was odd, was that although the vehicle had "taxi" on the outside, there was no indication on the inside that it was a taxi (no meter, no sign, no taxi number, no number to call if you have problems). Also, the driver had no badge, name tag or other identifying info on her. Just seemed odd.

To give those not from the area an idea of taxi costs, the first taxi trip was from the Amtrak station (Penn Station, I believe) to our hotel (near airport) -- that one was $65. Then, we used Independent Driver from the hotel to the port (7 of us) and that was $85. Then, the last trip -- from the port to EWR was $75.

Definitely more than us midwesterners are used to!

We just returned from our Summit cruise on Sunday (6/15/14). After exiting the building, turn left for the taxi area. There are also shuttles to the airport. My sister and her husband took shuttle at $15/pp. We took "taxi" (5 of us) and the fare was $75. So I guess that works out to be the same price. I'm not from NY area, but $75 for a 15 min taxi ride seems high. What was odd, was that although the vehicle had "taxi" on the outside, there was no indication on the inside that it was a taxi (no meter, no sign, no taxi number, no number to call if you have problems). Also, the driver had no badge, name tag or other identifying info on her. Just seemed odd.

To give those not from the area an idea of taxi costs, the first taxi trip was from the Amtrak station (Penn Station, I believe) to our hotel (near airport) -- that one was $65. Then, we used Independent Driver from the hotel to the port (7 of us) and that was $85. Then, the last trip -- from the port to EWR was $75.

Definitely more than us midwesterners are used to!

I assume your hotel was in jersey? Penn station to a jersey hotel will cost more as it is crossing state lines but truth be told regardless of the state lines it still was a lot of time and mileage.

It is not like taking a cab from penn to Times Square. Lol.

I don't do Amtrak often but I am wondering if maybe the closest stop to your hotel might have been in jersey and not penn?

Edited by Crusin6

I'm thinking Pushkin is talking about Newark Penn Station to a Newark airport hotel, not NY Penn Station. $65 is too little money from NY to NJ, but $65 for 5 people to do that trip in NJ sounds more likely.

Pushkin - it sounds like you did well and didn't get ripped off. Transportation is expensive in the area. On another day and time, your 15 minute trips could have easily been 45+ minutes because of traffic.

Yes, welcome to NJ, everything is expensive..

OP you can also exit the terminal and turn left and walk towards the taxi line...the dispatcher will put you in a van/cab (possibly with others ) going to the airport for less than the $28 that the cruise line charges...IIRC it's about 15-16 PP...

Getting there is not too bad and there will be many people doing the same thing.

The cruise line transfers are more expensive but not totally out of line with the pricing...however, you may be waiting longer than if you go left toward the other taxis/vans

I'm thinking Pushkin is talking about Newark Penn Station to a Newark airport hotel, not NY Penn Station. $65 is too little money from NY to NJ, but $65 for 5 people to do that trip in NJ sounds more likely.

Pushkin - it sounds like you did well and didn't get ripped off. Transportation is expensive in the area. On another day and time, your 15 minute trips could have easily been 45+ minutes because of traffic.

Yes, Carol, it was Newark Penn Station. Nice to know that we were not "ripped-off" on taxi fares, but I'm sure glad we don't need to use them often!

Heck, I am lucky to pay only $20 when I have to go from the Hamilton NJ station to Trenton via cab due to crazy train stuff happening on rare occasion.

It's MAYBE 5 miles....$50-ish to $60 ish from the Pier to EWR or NWK Penn Station is pretty good..and with gas rising AGAIN :eek::rolleyes: ..the higher end of that is becoming the norm