Questions about digital camera/housing

Joby

Hi, we are going to buy our 1st digital camera. We are divers and want to use the camera for regular everyday pictures too. We now have a Pentax IQ Zoom that we've had for 15 years. It's still a good camera, we just think we want to go digital and be able to use it underwater too.

We want to use it topside and underwater. We want a great zoom feature, simple to use and a camera that will last us for the next 10 years or so.

Our local camera shop suggested the Canon S1 IS (~$299 locally). They say it has a great zoom w/ stablization, is relaible and easy to use. It is a 3.2 mp, but they say if we only want to use it for smaller than 8X10 than it will be fine.

I have looked at online sellers and found if for $60 less than locally. Is it wise to buy it online? What if you have trouble with it? Should we go w/ a Canon authorized dealer. Some sites say they are "an authorized dealer" but when I look them up on the Canon website they are not listed.

As for U/W housings--Canon has a housing for this camera. It is a WP-DC 20. Online I have found it for ~$158 and above. Same question--is it a good idea to buy it online? Should we go w/ an "authorized dealer"?

We had an inexpensive $99 Bonica Snapper that flooded this June in Cozumel on our 1st dive. It was the 3rd year we had used it.

Suggestions?

Our local camera shop suggested the Canon S1 IS (~$299 locally). They say it has a great zoom w/ stablization, is relaible and easy to use. It is a 3.2 mp, but they say if we only want to use it for smaller than 8X10 than it will be fine.

That camera is an excellent choice. A friend has that camera and is quite happy with it. Like me, he is also a diver and he has the canon housing too. It works quite well. I think it has been replaced by the S2 IS, which is currently on sale at Amazon for $440 with free shipping.

I have looked at online sellers and found if for $60 less than locally. Is it wise to buy it online? What if you have trouble with it? Should we go w/ a Canon authorized dealer. Some sites say they are "an authorized dealer" but when I look them up on the Canon website they are not listed.
It would depend on which online seller you were looking at. Some are reputable, but there are more than a few online camera stores that are terrible. They have super cheap prices, but when you order, they ask your for your phone number so they can call to "verify" your credit card. What they really want to do it put the hard sell to you to buy over priced accessories. If you don't buy, then they will tell you the camera you wanted is backordered (even when listed as in-stock on the web page) and it will be a 6 week wait. Before you buy online, check sites such as http://www.bizrate.com and http://www.pricegrabber.com for online merchant reviews. Personally, I have ordered from http://www.6ave.com with good success. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ also has a good reputation, as does Amazon. I have also seen excellent prices for this camera at the Dell website, but you have to know the coupon codes. Here is a link to some dell coupons. Finally, http://www.dealcam.com gives prices for merchants they trust and steves-digicams.com give prices in addition to camera reviews.

I guess to answer your question, Yes I would buy the camera online, but only after check out the seller first. A Canon authorized seller would be preferred.

As for U/W housings--Canon has a housing for this camera. It is a WP-DC 20. Online I have found it for ~$158 and above. Same question--is it a good idea to buy it online? Should we go w/ an "authorized dealer"?
Getting the housing online is a better choice too. I got mine on ebay, new in the box.

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it!

I looked at the price of the S1 camera at 6ave.com and it was actually a few dollars less than the others that I have found. They are also listed on the canon.com website as authorized dealers + you have dealt w/ them. They don't list the housing at 6ave though.

We don't really want to spend the extra $$$ for the newer S2 camera. I think it might be a better choice, but it is $230 more and to us that's a chunk of change!

Thanks again.

I own a 5mp sony dscp8 with a sony housing. I absolutely love the pictures and the camera. I purchased the camera from best buy but bought the housing on line. IMO if I have problems with the camera I want to be able to take it back to the dealer. If you have problems with the housing you are out a camera and the housing, The online housing will come new in the box. I know some housing have warranties against flooding, but you will need to PROVE that is is a problem with the housing and not something you did, like getting a hair on the O ring. I went with sony for two reasons. Good reputation and reliable equipment. I also made sure to purchase both the same brand name housing and camera. That way I guarenteed that I would not have an incompatability problem. I think your choices are excellent and should work well for you. By the way. Look at a software package called Picasa. Available for free at Google or Yahoo. It has an enhancer built in that will bring out the color of the fish and coral that you take pictures of. I've been amazed at how it cleans up "blue" pictures. Good luck

..... If you have problems with the housing you are out a camera and the housing....
You can get insurance for your dive gear which includes a flooded housing/camera. DEPP is one company and I think D.A.N also offers it. Worth looking into especially if you camera is expensive.

By the way. Look at a software package called Picasa. Available for free at Google or Yahoo. It has an enhancer built in that will bring out the color of the fish and coral that you take pictures of. I've been amazed at how it cleans up "blue" pictures. Good luck
That is a good suggestion, but it isn't Mac compatible. I recommend Photoshop Elements 3 as a photo editing software. It is 90% of the full blown Photoshop for about 80% less, plus it has some easy to use quick fix options that Photoshop doesn't have.

Our guides in the Galapagoes each had a different point and shoot camera to record our trip.

Our lead guide diver was using one of the Sony Cybercams 5.0 with a Sony housing and got some very good close-up shots, almost macro-like. His photos were consistently better than the Kodak and Fuji cameras above water as well.

I was using my Canon G5 in an Ikelite housing that day while my Nikon D70 and Ikelite housing was in the ship's engine room for repair of a loose setscrew. The Canon G5 is slow to fire up, and the shutter delay is so long that some pictures just record fish tails instead of the head.

I am also trying to decide on which digital camera to buy. I have resisted until now and love my 35mm, but I really need to update.

I think I would like at least a 4 or 5 mp, I am also concerned about the shutter speed. I used an old digital my dad had and it takes forever before it takes a pic, and you usually miss the shot.

I will be snorkeling also and will want to get a housing for it. I am also thinking of getting a housing for my camcorder. On my last cruise I made a great video when we got back and underwater film would have been great to go along with the snorkeling pics.

I was thinking a Nikon or Canon, are those the two best? Which one would be a good mid price range $250 - $300

thanks

Chris

ladycajun

Shutterlag is a big problem with digital cameras since they go through a program that focuses the camera and adjusts it for color and brightness. I don't know if any of the cameras other than the SLR will improve the shutterlag. That's why I take lots of pictures and select the ones I like. Usually a camera has two positions on the shutter button. The first position will focus and adjust everything then the second actually executes the picture. If you just push down the button all the way it has to go through all of the cycle. If you push it to the first position and hold it, the camera will focus and adjust without taking the picture. At this point if you push the button to the second position it will IMMEDIATELY take the picture(ie no shutter lag). I've found this to be easy to execute on land, but a little more difficult to execute in the water. That's why I take a lot of pictures. Good luck.

OK, I think this is what we are going to do--

buy the Canon S1 IS at 6thave.com ($240)

AND

buy the Canon housing at 17thstreet camera ($170)

Both companies are listed on the Canon.com site as being authorized dealers, both seem to have good customer reviews and the price on each item is good at the respective companies.

Does that look like a good plan? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Taking underwater photos isn't necessarily as easy as just clicking the shutter. The best photos are taken in the manual mode, macro, with an underwater strobe, and in RAW format.

The best results are obtained when the subsequent photos are processed to help clean up the problems underwater photos have (blue tint, backscatter, poor white balance, etc.). However, most photo programs won't process RAW format images without the use of a plug-in. The best programs seem to be Adobe Photoshop Elements (less than $100 retail) and Adobe Photoshop CS2 (over $600 retail). Most all photo programs will process JPEG pictures.

Before buying any camera for use underwater, consider that you might enjoy it so much that you'll want manual control, RAW format, and might want to upgrade to a strobe. So be sure to consider these possibilities before making your selection since it might save you having to buy another camera in the near future.

If you just plan on using it snorkeling, the issue of a strobe isn't as important as when diving, where the loss of light at depth becomes an issue.

I use an Olympus C5050 5MP with an Olympus housing, using manual controls, shoot in RAW format, macro, and use an Inon D2000 strobe. I use Photoshop CS2 for photo processing.

On the other hand, my wife does not dive but does snorkel. As a result we didn't need as much camera for her. She uses a Canon A95 5MP in a Canon housing, shoots in the automatic mode, JPEG format, without a strobe. Her camera takes excellent pictures and since she has no intentions of learning to dive, it will be all she ever needs.

We both use 1GB compact flash cards for lots of memory.

Also consider the camera's power source. If it has a fixed internal battery, and it goes dead on a dive or snorkel trip, your out of luck since you can't recharge it. However, if it uses AA rechargables, you can take an extra set with you so you have a backup.

I have 4 sets of 2300ma NMh batteries. One set will keep my camera and strobe operating for two complete dives, as long as I turn off the camera and strobe between the two dives. My wife's camera is a battery hog and an extra set is a necessity if she takes many land pictures enroute to the snorkeling site.

Here are a couple of my favorite photos. I have lots more that are posted elsewhere.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?mcats=all&si=&what=allfields&name=10X&when=0&whenterm=&condition=and

• 4 weeks later...

I finally ordered the Canon S1 IS camera and the U/W housing today. I got the camera from 6ave.com and the housing from 17th street Photo. Both companies were very nice and answered questions I had. I hope all goes smoothly with the delivery and use!!!!

I do have another question--6ave.com said they had a "package" with the Canon camera. The "package" included an extended 3 yr. warrenty + 4 rechargeable batteries + charger + 128 MG memory card for $88.

Opinions on the "package" and its price? Is it worth it?

Appreciate all of the help.

I own a 5mp sony dscp8 with a sony housing. I absolutely love the pictures and the camera. I purchased the camera from best buy but bought the housing on line. IMO if I have problems with the camera I want to be able to take it back to the dealer. If you have problems with the housing you are out a camera and the housing, The online housing will come new in the box. I know some housing have warranties against flooding, but you will need to PROVE that is is a problem with the housing and not something you did, like getting a hair on the O ring. I went with sony for two reasons. Good reputation and reliable equipment. I also made sure to purchase both the same brand name housing and camera. That way I guarenteed that I would not have an incompatability problem. I think your choices are excellent and should work well for you. By the way. Look at a software package called Picasa. Available for free at Google or Yahoo. It has an enhancer built in that will bring out the color of the fish and coral that you take pictures of. I've been amazed at how it cleans up "blue" pictures. Good luck

What settings do you use underwater (white balance ect.), and do you use a filter?

I do have another question--6ave.com said they had a "package" with the Canon camera. The "package" included an extended 3 yr. warrenty + 4 rechargeable batteries + charger + 128 MG memory card for $88.

Opinions on the "package" and its price? Is it worth it?

I bought my Olympus C5050 from them. It was a very satisfactory transaction.

About the package. I think I'd pass. If you want the extended warranty, buy just that. A 128 meg memory card is way too small, and I know nothing about the quality of the batteries and charger. I bought my batteries and charger at http://thomas-distributing.com/charger_kits.htm Sure they cost a bit more, but the charger is the best, it won't over charge the batteries and it will keep a trickle charge on them so they stay fully charged. NimH batteries will self discharge at the rate of about 1% per day, so after 2 weeks you would have only a 86% charge. The batteries themselves are very powerful.

Bruce-r, I think we will pass on the package. When I priced everything out seperately, it wasn't much of a bargin. We think we are going to get 2- 512 mg cards. We also think the 1 year warranty provided will suffice.

Thanks for the tip on the batteries and the other info!

Another question--on our Canon S1 IS--what might be the best/least expensive place to look for memory cards?

I have been reading that the cards have different speeds--4X, 10X. etc. What would be the best speed for the camera keeping price in mind? I don't know what the top speed the camera can process at yet.

We were thinking about getting 2- 512 GB memory cards, but are now wondering if 1- 1 GB might be a better purchase. I'm thinking it would be 1 less thing for me to lose!

Ideas here?

Joby,

Both my wife and I use 1GB cards and there is an advantage to this, depending on how many pictures you take and at what resolution.

I use an Olympus C5050 and shoot in the RAW mode. This gives me the largest file size but a 1GB card will only hold about 137 pictures. A 512MB would hold about half that.

Since I usually do at least two dives each time I go (or two snorkeling trips), I have enough pcture space on the card so that I don't have to open my camera case and replace it with another card. Each time you open your underwater housing you risk incurring a leak, so once mine is sealed, I prefer to leave it that way.

I also use 2300MHA batteries so that I don't have to replace those either. Like Bruce-R, I use Thomas Distributing for these.

However, if you shoot in a lower quality mode, you'll get more pictures and might not need such a big card. But your pictures will be of lesser quality as well.

My wife shoots in the highest mode her camera is capable of, but it doesn't have RAW capability, therefore she gets lots more pictures on her card. This has come in handy when she has been unable to download into our laptop before going snorkeling the next day.

A friend of mine has a Canon A95 and bought a 256MB card and has run out of room while taking pictures. He had no choice but to stop and was done until he could download. Fortunately for him, I had my laptop available and he was back in business the next day.

I just bought a backup C5050 and will soon be buying a 1GB card for that camera too. I have bought tha last two on eBay and I prefer the Sandick Ultra II. It's a 65X card. Buy the fastest card you can afford, even though the card might be faster than your camera's ability to use all that speed. However, if you later upgrade your camera to something newer and better that can record to the card faster, you'll already have a card that can handle the speed.

Another question--on our Canon S1 IS--what might be the best/least expensive place to look for memory cards?
http://www.dealram.com is a good place to look. It is part of the "deal" website. I usually check the http://www.dealmac.com page and they also list extra good prices on memory, sometimes even better because they list deals that include rebates that dealram doesn't list. Costco can also have decent prices on memory cards

I have been reading that the cards have different speeds--4X, 10X. etc. What would be the best speed for the camera keeping price in mind? I don't know what the top speed the camera can process at yet.

We were thinking about getting 2- 512 GB memory cards, but are now wondering if 1- 1 GB might be a better purchase. I'm thinking it would be 1 less thing for me to lose!

I'd get the 1gig card. It will hold longer video clips.

I don't know how much benefit you would get with one of the ultra fast cards, especially if you at taking photos at a lower resolution. If you take photos at the highest resolution your camera has, then the write time will be longer. If you can find a good price on a fast card, I'd get it. I have a feeling that since the pro's buy the fast cards, they might be a bit better quality.

What cha' think about this one? It has $4.81 on S/H added on to price.

brand1364.gif

$54.87

Transcend 45X 1GB Compact Flash (CF) Card Model TS1GCF45 - Retail

• Model #: TS1GCF45
  • Item #: N82E16820160116
  • In Stock<LI class=noteSavings>$4.81 FedEx Saver Shipping

Is brand very importantin memory cards?
For me it is. I want a recognized name brand of memory for my photo storage. Sandisk, Viking, Kingston, and Crucial are brands I recognize. This doesn't mean other brands are bad, it is just that I have read positive things about the ones I listed .

Here is a Sandisk 1 gig compact flash for $47 after rebate.

Thanks again bruce-r for your insightful help! I called Canon yesterday and asked about faster cards for the S1 IS and they said the Si IS did not support the faster WA cards. They said a faster card would work in the camera, it just wouldn't write any faster.

I found a Lexar 4X 1 GB ($59 after rebate) and a 4X 512 ($24 after rebate). I think I may keep the 512 and get the 1 Gb Sandisk from your suggestion of buy.com.

The camera should arrive today. We have a cruise planned (just me, my sister and Mom--no kids or husband) for 10/17. I'll be excited to use it then. I am only snorkeling on this trip, not diving, so I will also put the housing to use.

Appreciate the advise.

Well, we got our camera and housing both on Wed. Both companies were very timely! Still trying to figure out all the buttons and functions--that may be a while too!!!

I did order the 1 GB memory from buy.com--thanks bruce-r. I appreciate all of the suggestions and help. I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the very near future!

We own a Canon elph s200. It is a good camera and my wife bought me the canon s410 for Christmas through amazon. Love the camera because of price and size. I just ordered the U/W housing yesterday through amazon as well. It should be here in plenty of time before I leave next Friday for our cruise. I also purchased a 512mb lexar 40x card from amazon for 43.95. I have purchased Viking memory (1x64mb, 2x256mb) in the past and they have performed flawlessly. Only problem with the Viking is that when I power the camera off, it takes a few seconds to finish writing to the card so I opted for a Lexar 40x this time to see if there is a difference since the cost wasn't much of a difference.

Archived