Adding a 3rd person late in a reservation?

I have a question, my mom wants to book a cruise soon for next summer for her and my dad, my older brother wants to come with them but can't afford the deposit until tax time, so February next year. If my parents book this cruise in a couple months for themselves, when it comes time to add my brother on, will he get the 3rd person rate based on the rate my parents paid or will it be what the current rate of that room is at the time they add him? I am aware the room rates increase the closer you get to the cruise, so I am just curious if anyone knows? I know she could call a rep to find out but thought I'd ask here first, thanks!

I have a question, my mom wants to book a cruise soon for next summer for her and my dad, my older brother wants to come with them but can't afford the deposit until tax time, so February next year. If my parents book this cruise in a couple months for themselves, when it comes time to add my brother on, will he get the 3rd person rate based on the rate my parents paid or will it be what the current rate of that room is at the time they add him? I am aware the room rates increase the closer you get to the cruise, so I am just curious if anyone knows? I know she could call a rep to find out but thought I'd ask here first, thanks!

Generally, a 3rd person will pay the going rate at the time they actually book.

I'd suggest maybe someone springing for your brother's deposit at the time your parents book. Then they can always drop the 3 passenger before the Paid in Full date, if it turns out he can't go.

We've done this before when son was in college and not sure he could go....BUT.... be sure your parents book a cabin that can accommodate 3 people from the get go....explain to PVP or rep on 800# what the intent is....and it is never a problem.

Edited by buddylover

Yeah I told my mom that, that she needed to book a room for 3, I told her I didn't think there would be a problem with that because they booked us in a 4 person room with only 3 guests because someone else may be adding on closer to the cruise time. To the one that did this with their son, how did the rate work? Did he pay the 3rd person rate according to when you booked or the current rate?

You pay the going rate at the time you book. Your parents may pay "X" amount and your brother may pay "X +/-" depending on the rate when he books. As others have said, it would be easier if your parents just paid his downpayment and booked all three at the same time. Then he could pay your parents back when he gets his tax refund. Especially if they want a specific cabin. There is always the possibility of them getting moved if they are in a 3 person cabin and only two of them in it if Carnival needs a 3 person cabin to sell to three people.

Eeek, that would be really bad, they are booking the cabin directly across from us, our reservations will be linked, we'll be in a balcony, them in an interior directly across from us, I hope they don't move them or they would probably cancel being far away from us. My parents really can't afford to pay his deposit either, they had to save just to make their own deposit, he will just have to come up with it or expect to pay more when he books, thanks for all the tips!

Edited by Joliving4Jesus

its hard to say, my thought would be what ever the current rate is.

My scenario. originally booked 3 ppl, with special 200 obc. 3rd person cancelled. few months later decided she really wanted to go. I called up carnival, (my pvp not available) and explained she wanted to rejoin, but only if we could get the rate for 3rd person when we originally booked last oct. and not lose our obc either lol.

rep talked with cust service. came back and said yes. so yeahh, we rebooked her lol. especially as our cruise is wayyy more than what we originally booked. also the fact we were still in a cabin for more ppl than the now 2 we had. which worked out

as with anything, it seems a hit n miss if they will or not charge you the current. worse case, book at current rate, if different, or he don't go. Maybe parents could cover his deposit?

Edited by jks336

Yeah, parents can't afford his deposit, they are saving just to make their own, he will have to temporarily book through his credit card if he wants to be assured the current rate, I know interiors don't go up quite as much as say a balcony room since they are the least popular, but still, he is chancing paying more if he waits.

Good to hear they honored the original booking price for your daughter but I think your right, hit or miss if they would allow that or not.

Edited by Joliving4Jesus

Yeah, parents can't afford his deposit, they are saving just to make their own, he will have to temporarily book through his credit card if he wants to be assured the current rate, I know interiors don't go up quite as much as say a balcony room since they are the least popular, but still, he is chancing paying more if he waits.

Good to hear they honored the original booking price for your daughter but I think your right, hit or miss if they would allow that or not.

Aren't there sales with no deposits? Some with reduced deposits?

Just to be clear, you are not always able to book 2 people into a cabin that has the capacity for 3 people. I am dealing with a sailing right now that will not allow it, and the sailing is 3/1/15, so it's not anything special, like a holiday or school vacation.

Since you are talking about next summer, when the kids are out of school, they may not be able to get a triple cabin with only 2 names on the reservation. I would recommend taking advantage of one of the sales that offer reduced deposits of $50.00 per person and put all 3 names on the reservation.

Its actually late summer, when school is back in, mid September. I actually just booked a cruise with 2 people in a 4 person room with no problem for my Feb cruise, reason being we booked an interior and balcony room, 6 guests total but put 4 names on the interior and only 2 names on the balcony and saved a couple hundred dollars but its actually going to be 3 guests in each room, we have our older son on the interior reservation with his uncle but he'll be sleeping in our balcony room and their was only 2 person or 4 person rooms on that section of the boat (cheapest section), he said it was no problem and people book that way often to save money on 3rd or 4th person in a balcony since they are a good deal cheaper to be in an interior room, we've done this before with no problem either, interesting not all cruises allow that though, do you mind telling me what ship gave you a hard time about doing this? Just in case I ever encounter that problem, we book like this often since we're usually the only ones in our party to book balcony's, the others book interiors, we have never been moved either after 5 cruises, usually never booked to full capacity in our room but we also cruise in Feb, April, Sept, or Oct months, not always the busiest months.

Edited by Joliving4Jesus