How does the Captain's Dinner Work & How do you Sign up?

Hello fellow cruisers :) We are going on our 2nd cruise and have never done the Captain's Dinner. I have no clue how this works or how you even sign up for it.

Can someone point me to a thread with info or explain it to me? Do you have to sign up in advance and how do you sign up? WHat are you required to wear? Any other info would be helpful. Thanks

Nothing to sign up for. The selection process is confidential, so no one really knows exactly how selections are made.

If you do get an invitation, the card usually notes the suggested dress, which in our experience has mostly been formal.

Hello fellow cruisers :) We are going on our 2nd cruise and have never done the Captain's Dinner. I have no clue how this works or how you even sign up for it.

Can someone point me to a thread with info or explain it to me? Do you have to sign up in advance and how do you sign up? WHat are you required to wear? Any other info would be helpful. Thanks

Been on 6 cruises. Haven't been invited yet.

I'm not sure what its called, but I was told about it by my brother that has cruised 3 times on CC. I guess its when you dress up really nice. You have to be selected? I don't think that is what I am referring to then.

Also, do you have to sign up to have pictures taken on board or can you sign up for that once on board?

Edited by CalifGirl67
Typo

I'm not sure what its called, but I was told about it by my brother that has cruised 3 times on CC. I guess its when you dress up really nice. You have to be selected? I don't think that is what I am referring to then.

Also, do you have to sign up to have pictures taken on board or can you sign up for that once on board?

You don't need to sign up for pictures, you just get in line.

Maybe you are thinking of Formal night, where everyone dresses up really nice for dinner. They have picture taking stations located in several spots around the main public areas to have your pictures taken, you just get in line. You can see your pictures later and decide if you want to buy any of them.

They also have a Captains Reception on Formal night on some ships anyway, where the captain makes a short speech and you get a free glass of very inexpensive :D champagne.

I think perhaps original poster is referring to just the regular formal night - dinner with steak/lobster - some people refer to as "Captain's Dinner" or "Captain's Night."

If so, no, you don't sign up - it is just one of the formal nights in the main dining room.

The captain will be in attendance. He is seated at a large table and guests are invited to join him for dinner at his table. You are selected for this - often frequent cruisers, suite guests, etc. and receive a formal invitation.

As far as pictures, the daily CruiseCompass, which is a newsletter left each evening by your cabin steward with the following day's events, will tell you where to go for photographs and times. You wait in line. You do not have to sign up. This is very popular on formal nights when people are dressed up and want a nice picture.

Hope that helps!

SO on Formal night do you have to wear Tux/Formal dress etc or just a nice outfit and classy dress attire? Cool, thanks for the replies. I understand it now!

Some take it more seriously than others. It's not at all cool to show up in flip-flops and a ball cap. Nobody's likely to complain or look at you funny if you're "nice outfit and classy dress" and make the effort, but it gives you the chance to bring forth something formal you might already own that everyone you know has already seen. New audience here. :D

I think this is why until someone notices I wore the same blazer or suit on a prior cruise-- nearly every prior cruise-- I'm just gonna keep using them long as I can get away with it.

Have a great time.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

We didn't sign up. We were invited. I couldn't believe it since it was our first cruise.

Same here. It was our first cruise and we were shocked. Also happened on our second cruise (a B2B) but with NCL. Very strange. Maybe its our name...LOL. ;)

Tamie

From the RCI website, the suggested dress on formal night is "Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"

If you like dressing up, it's a fun night. You'll see folks in various standards of dress on formal nights, but many more tend to dress up than not. We actually enjoy it.

D

Guessing the OP is referring to one of the following:

Being invited to eat with the Captain (or another Officer) at the Captains table.

This is by invitation only and we have always received a call on board and then if we accepted we receive a formal invite with instructions.

Being invited to the Captains Welcome Back Party. This is for Crown & Anchor Members and you receive an invitation but it is a large party. There are also invites for Platinum and above Parties, etc.

On the newer ships with the Promenade it is a party on the first formal night in the Promenade (no invitation required) where there is passed complimentary Champagne and music and the Captain speaks to the gathered crowd.

As far as dress, some people do the formal dresses and Tuxes but by far you will see more women in cocktail dresses or dressy black cocktail pants with dressy top and men in suits or jackets with ties. But it is certainly acceptable to wear a casual dress for women and nice pants and collared shirt for men. The rules are really suggestions.

But it usually looks like most people put in that extra effort and look nicer than usual that night. But there are all kinds of eating venues so not everyone will be dressed up.

Edited by KittyCat1Million

Yes I was referring to the formal night so thanks for clearing that up for me. I have convinced my hubby to do the formal night :)

So,is the formal night announced once on the ship?

For pictures on formal night, do we just get in line or can someone tell me how the pictures work? I know you can buy some sort of package on RC website but I don't really want to do that unless its required for formal night? Thanks, getting excited and counting down.

Yes I was referring to the formal night so thanks for clearing that up for me. I have convinced my hubby to do the formal night :)

So,is the formal night announced once on the ship?

For pictures on formal night, do we just get in line or can someone tell me how the pictures work? I know you can buy some sort of package on RC website but I don't really want to do that unless its required for formal night? Thanks, getting excited and counting down.

The formal night will be listed on the Cruise Compass (daily schedule) you get in your stateroom each evening. This has a list of the next day's events.

You can just get in line for the photos.

If you mean the meal with an officer, you have to be a diamond plus or pinnacle member and have 340 or more cruise points. There are a few diamond plus members but not many pinnacle members. But keep cruising, and you'll get an invitation. When you do, take me with you. Happy cruising. :D

We didn't sign up. We were invited. I couldn't believe it since it was our first cruise.

Also on NCL (Pride of America) being part of a smallish "meet and mingle" group (whatever it is called for them) everyone who showed up got invited to an "officer's dinner" where an officer was seated with 2-4 other guests. Of course, NCL I'm sure wanted to improve the usual cruise critic comments but it was a nice touch regardless. Not sure if the Captain was at one of the tables.

Well my hubby will not be wearing a tux or suit/tie. He's only agreed to dress slacks and dress shirt.Doe anyone know what the cost of pictures are or how many you get or does it depend on how many places you get in line for photo's?

Well my hubby will not be wearing a tux or suit/tie. He's only agreed to dress slacks and dress shirt.Doe anyone know what the cost of pictures are or how many you get or does it depend on how many places you get in line for photo's?

It does not cost anything to have your pictures taken. It costs $20 to $25 for each print you wish to purchase.