Opinions on the Specialty Restaurants?

Hello! My wife and I are going on the Allure in December, and I'm trying to plan out which specialty restaurants we want to eat at. I had a few questions, I'd love to hear what you all think of the following:

Chops Grille: Is it worth it now with the new menu? Or should I just order a Chops steak one night in the MDR (If that is still an option)?

Also, which ones are available for lunch? Are the menus the same as for dinner? Are there any that you would say it's worth it just to go for lunch rather than dinner?

What are your thoughts on central park and Chef's table? Did you feel like you over/underpaid?

Thanks!

Regarding lunch, Izumi and Giovanni's Table are open for lunch. The lunch and dinner menus are different.

Thanks! Did you feel like the lunch menu wasn't as good as the dinner menu selection for either?

Here is the Giovanni's menu. The first part is lunch, the second part is dinner:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/giovannis.pdf

I don't have a lunch menu for Izumi, but from what I recall, many of the hot items are missing. For example, no tempura, no sukiyaki, no hot rock.

Edited by clarea

Thanks! Did you feel like the lunch menu wasn't as good as the dinner menu selection for either?

Izumi's had a much more limited menu. They DID have some vegetable tempura, but no shrimp tempura.

Chops isn't nearly as nice without the onion rings and the crab cake appetizer.

After passing it up on many cruises, when we were on Allure, we finally tried the Chef's Table, and it was a fabulous experience--worth every penny. One reason we had shied away was my husband's limited food preferences; however, they review the menu with you in advance and customize to suit your needs. That night, they discreetly serve the different courses so as to draw no attention to the "different" diner. Everything about the evening worked together to make it special and satisfying--the food, wine pairings, table setting, ambiance, sommelier and chef, and small, congenial gathering. I'm a convert!

Whatever you select, have a wonderful time! Allure offers a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Chef's Table - a must do. Excellent meal with wine pairings, small group, beautiful presentation.

150 Central Park - A tasting menu. Smaller portions more courses. Each course was outstanding and service was very good. Restaurant itself is very lovely.

Giovanni's - Very good. It was a fun and tasty meal, especially dining with another couple we sampled lots of dishes.

Chops - IMO not worth the cost. I can cook a mean steak at home or go to a steakhouse any time. The service was nothing special.

Don't know about the other restaurants. These were the only ones we've done.

Love Giovanni's for lunch and dinner.

One tip is to have lunch at Giavanni's on the day you board. It is the best and usually no crowds. Board, relax with wine and a leisurely lunch to start the cruise off right! Also agree with the Chef's Table posts; we do it every cruise.

We haven't done the Chef's Table either but will have to after reading these responses! We had the Allure dining package but didn't get to Izumi.

Giovanni's - we didn't know we could order more than one appetizer and pasta so keep that in mind. We dined outside at Chops and that was very nice. I like the appetizers there the best although the entire meal was better on the Serenade. On boarding day we tried Vintages. It was fun and good and very nice for a light lunch of tapas and wine! even if you are not a wine drinker. Being in Central Park the first day on the Allure is a wonderful way to welcome your vacation! It was calm and beautiful! Central Park is my favorite area of the Allure!! We also did the Brazilian Steak house. Can't remember the name. It was a fun experience especially if you are a big meat eater!!!

That said, we would do Vintages and Giovanni's again and again. And will try Chef's Table!!

Hello! My wife and I are going on the Allure in December, and I'm trying to plan out which specialty restaurants we want to eat at. I had a few questions, I'd love to hear what you all think of the following:

Chops Grille: Is it worth it now with the new menu? Or should I just order a Chops steak one night in the MDR (If that is still an option)?

Also, which ones are available for lunch? Are the menus the same as for dinner? Are there any that you would say it's worth it just to go for lunch rather than dinner?

What are your thoughts on central park and Chef's table? Did you feel like you over/underpaid?

Thanks!

IMO it's not JUST the steak that's better, it's the SIDE DISHES that are killer..and those crab cakes for appetizers!! Don't forget the AMBIANCE factor- that's sooo important for us..dining at a table for 2 in a room with 50-100 people vs. dining with 1500-2000..BIG difference!! The side dishes in the MDR are soooo mediocre to me...also the creme brulee is fabulous, which you can't get in the MDR..nice & quiet vs. very busy & noisy..we love it...been 18 times and NEVER a bad meal or "not worth it" meal...jus MHO...

Big Al

I know Chops qualifies as one of the top-5 steaks in my life. That's a definite must do.

For Giovanni's, the problem for me is after the appetizer and pasta, I'm about done and don't need the entrée. Also, maybe we just drew two bad days but both times we went the service wasn't 'as Royal as we were hoping.'

Samba Grill is a good "Brazilian for Beginners" if you've never been before but to us seemed a bit compromised due to the limitations of being on a ship. We're pretty loyal to our local Brazilian Steakhouse so there was a serious yardstick for it to stand up to; but if you've never done it and are curious, try it.

We were not at all Sushi people but after several drinks were talked/dared/shamed into Izumi and had to admit we probably should have tried it long ago. We were still sushi-rookies at that point but they helped walk us through. Funny that despite that evening's consumption I could still handle the chopsticks like a pro.

Rita's is a crapshoot because Rita's on Radiance (when it was a Cantina) had a full-menu and could be an MDR substitute, and Rita's on Serenade was a few snacks to eat with your Margaritas. Rita's on Radiance was "better than I was expecting" but breezy. We didn't go on the Serenade - we seriously thought the menu they had in the CL was missing pages or something.

We are leaving on the Allure Sunday. I was under the impression that the Allure still had the old menu in Chops and was not changing over to the new one till August. Is this false? Has the new menu been instigated already? :( We reservations for two nights and I may lean toward canceling one of them if it has. Thanks for any input in advance.

I know Chops qualifies as one of the top-5 steaks in my life. That's a definite must do.

For Giovanni's, the problem for me is after the appetizer and pasta, I'm about done and don't need the entrée. Also, maybe we just drew two bad days but both times we went the service wasn't 'as Royal as we were hoping.'

Samba Grill is a good "Brazilian for Beginners" if you've never been before but to us seemed a bit compromised due to the limitations of being on a ship. We're pretty loyal to our local Brazilian Steakhouse so there was a serious yardstick for it to stand up to; but if you've never done it and are curious, try it.

We were not at all Sushi people but after several drinks were talked/dared/shamed into Izumi and had to admit we probably should have tried it long ago. We were still sushi-rookies at that point but they helped walk us through. Funny that despite that evening's consumption I could still handle the chopsticks like a pro.

Rita's is a crapshoot because Rita's on Radiance (when it was a Cantina) had a full-menu and could be an MDR substitute, and Rita's on Serenade was a few snacks to eat with your Margaritas. Rita's on Radiance was "better than I was expecting" but breezy. We didn't go on the Serenade - we seriously thought the menu they had in the CL was missing pages or something.

Being from Ft. Worth, if you thought the steak in Chops was top five, then it was good. The best steak I have ever eaten was at the Old Cattlemen's restaurant in Ft. Worth . Nice to hear from a fellow Texan, I am temporarily misplaced to Georgia.

We have done chops 6ish times. Most were very good. The times it was not as good were the times we were in a big group. We just enjoy the different and more intimate atmosphere.

We did the solarium for dinner, not sure what it's called but we really enjoyed that last fall.

We love Giovanni's in a big group. They serve family style so in a 8+ group you get a lot of different times to sample and pass around. I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much with only two people where you don't get all the different items

If this is your first time on the oasis class, and if $ is not a huge issue, I would do chops, solarium, Giovanni's.

We have not done chefs dinner, but that is because we usually travel in packs..... 7-50 people, so that has never been a real option for us. We are doing the allure in med next June with only 5 of us. Maybe we will do that then after reading this post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Allure on June 1st (full link in my signature) and did Chef's Table, 150, and Giovanni's. We liked all three quite a bit-- you can read my review for more details, but here are my short version views:

Giovanni's remains, in my opinion, the "best value" of any of the specialty restaurants. I am a big fan. I'd do it for lunch (instead of dinner) but honestly can't eat that much. At this point DGF and I try for outdoor seating Giovannis as our embarkation night ritual dinner (although this year was too windy).

Park 150 and Chef's Table are both well worth it if you enjoy those types of meals (i.e., long, multi course, "Foodie"-ish). They are similar in terms of format, but different enough to merit trying both, but both well worth it. It was described to us that Park 150 is like a restaurant, and Chef's Table is more of an experience, and I agree with this. As noted, you will be with strangers at the Chef's Table. We loved our group, and most people seem to based on reviews I've read on the boards, but do note you'll be with strangers for 3 hours (and lots of alcohol, which can be good or bad depending on the stranger!).

We've done Chops in the past, but with the new menu and the rising cost, it isn't worth $35 a head in my opinion. $5 more and you're at 150's charge (which is well worth the $40). I'd rather do 150 twice, although I think I'd explode.

I've done Izumi in the past, it was good, but the rising prices of the rolls makes it not worth it to me.

If the money isn't an issue, I'd say it's worth trying any of them (even Chops, I'd just put it lower on the list). I think Royal does a good job of creating good value with the upcharge for the most part.

I always buy dining packages and here are my thoughts:

. Chefs table is amazing. Do it early enough in the cruise so that you can keep on running in to the people that you shared the table with. Also a great way to discover a wine for the rest of the cruise.

. Brazilian is ok but I would skip it for a different one it timing was an issue.

. Izumi is amazing and they will help you figure out what to eat. They get lots of people on dining packages and are used to it.

. Giovanis is great except for dessert where they bring around a trolley. Much prefer Portifinos but that is disappearing.

. Chops is great and more than just steaks. Only downside is the room tends to be a bit dark.

. Rita's is good to try for the handful of dollars that it costs.

. Don't rule out Johnny Rockets.

I always buy dining packages and here are my thoughts:

. Chefs table is amazing. Do it early enough in the cruise so that you can keep on running in to the people that you shared the table with. Also a great way to discover a wine for the rest of the cruise.

. Brazilian is ok but I would skip it for a different one it timing was an issue.

. Izumi is amazing and they will help you figure out what to eat. They get lots of people on dining packages and are used to it.

. Giovanis is great except for dessert where they bring around a trolley. Much prefer Portifinos but that is disappearing.

. Chops is great and more than just steaks. Only downside is the room tends to be a bit dark.

. Rita's is good to try for the handful of dollars that it costs.

. Don't rule out Johnny Rockets.

Thanks for the thoughts! I don't plan on ruling out Johnny Rockets, they have the best Apple pie I've ever had (and the burgers aren't bad either!)

One tip is to have lunch at Giavanni's on the day you board. It is the best and usually no crowds. Board, relax with wine and a leisurely lunch to start the cruise off right!

Absolutely! Giovanni's for lunch on boarding day to avoid the crowd!!

We enjoyed 150 Central Park, Chop's Grill, and Giovanni's for dinner. :)

LuLu