Buying rum

Your best bet is to purchase a bar set up. You will need to call NCL to do this. For rum it's kind of expensive, but if you truly enjoy rum in your cabin, its the recommended way to go.

As others have mentioned, any liquor purchased in the duty free shop or on shore for that matter is retained by the ship and held until the end of the cruise.

Last September on the Jewel, we purchased two one liter bottles of Meyers Dark Rum for a special price of $25. As others have mentioned, they keep your liquor until the last night. When you receive it, it will be in a box sealed with 'duty free' tape. If the custom officials discover the tape is broken, you are subject to being charged the full duty.

If the custom officials discover the tape is broken, you are subject to being charged the full duty.

The OP was looking for info on having a bottle of rum in their room - not duty free purchases. But I'm interested in this. Maybe this depends on the ports? I've been on the Jewel, Gem, Dawn & Spirit out of NY and have never had my boxes taped. In fact, you can open the boxes and pack the bottles in your suitcases.