Family of 4. Suite or Adjoining Rooms??

Help! We are planning a cruise for June 2015 and just found out there aren't any adjoining rooms left on Freedom of the Seas. Should we try another sailing date or book a suite? The price is not much more, less than $200. Can anybody help? It will be myself, husband and two daughters (5 and 11). THANKS!!

If you are flexible, I would choose changing the dates.

We always get connecting cabins, from when the kids were small and now they are 20 and 16.

Everyone gets a real bed, the kids get their own closet and space to unpack, 2 bathrooms and the kids have their own tv for night. You can have the kids sleeping and you and your dh can hang in your cabin, tv and lights on or on the balcony.

This is what works for us but YMMV :)

Since the price is not much more, I would choose the suite. The kids are young enough so they do not need as much getting-ready time as teens. Besides, you get the suite perks.

I tend to agree. As long as all four can happily share a room the suite perks and sail date of your choice make the suite an appealing option here. And, if you'd rather have connecting cabins, you can watch over the coming months (between now and final payment) to see if any pop up.

If the suite perks are a big draw for you, go with a suite.

However, I would personally pick 2 adjoining cabins for several reasons:

a. Much more privacy for all involved

b. All 4 people get to sleep in a bed and you can split the kids' beds apart (suites tend to have a sofa bed for 3rd and 4th passenger to share)

c. 2 bathrooms to speed up the "getting ready" process

We've done it both ways. We prefer the two rooms to the suite. The suite did have two bathrooms, but the real sleeping areas is where the two rooms really win out. My kids really dislike pull out sofas, so the real beds win every time. I also like having more usable space in the cabin. In a suite your living room becomes the kids sleeping area, and after awhile becomes a kid mess. Yes, you get perks in a suite, but I find I didn't use them all that much to make it worth it.

I wouldn't put the kids in a non-connecting cabin at that age....If you want to be together and the suite isn't much more, go for it! There are "perks" that come with the suite!

Otherwise, if you want more privacy, pick a different date where you can get the connecting cabins.

I was told there weren't any connecting rooms available through an agency (Costco). I decided to go ahead and call Royal Caribbean and was told they did have one left. I booked it then double checked the rooms online after I'd hung up. Turned out the rooms he sold me were NOT adjoining rooms. Ugh. Now I'm on the phone with RC (have been for 45 min.) and doesn't look like they can clear this up easily. Ugh!!

Just to clarify terminology:

Adjoining rooms are rooms that are merely next door to each other. They share a common wall, but not a connecting door.

Connecting rooms have a door in between the two rooms.

Since the OPs children are quite young, adjoining rooms (without a connecting door) or rooms across the hall from each other really don't work.

On Freedom, there are a set of rooms in the rear of deck 9 where the balcony cabin connects to an inside, and another set of rooms in the front of deck 9 where the balcony cabin connect to a window cabin.

I think that your kids are young enough that 4 people in one suite won't be too tight. Dad could always take a shower in the spa area, to ease the one bathroom situation when getting ready for dinner and such.

We've done both and decided the best for us was two cabins even if not connecting. DH refuses to go to the spa to shower, he says he is on vacation too and does not want to walk over a 1/4 mile [round trip] from our aft balcony just to take a shower! We had our 5 & 10 yr olds across the passageway from us and never had a problem. Just made sure they were in their room, locked in and called them at bedtime if we were at a show. I guess the big decision [and it is personal one for each family] is how comfortable are the parents and children with separate, non-connecting rooms...just 'cause it worked for us doesn't mean it'll work for y'all. By the time they were teens, it was accepted practice and never had any problems with noise or visitors.

WE have 3 grown sons now, but never got one suite or family room for all of us. We always got 2 rooms - 2 bathrooms and more privacy for all involved. After all, it is the parent's vacation, too!

If the suite perks are a big draw for you, go with a suite.

However, I would personally pick 2 adjoining cabins for several reasons:

a. Much more privacy for all involved

b. All 4 people get to sleep in a bed and you can split the kids' beds apart (suites tend to have a sofa bed for 3rd and 4th passenger to share)

c. 2 bathrooms to speed up the "getting ready" process

This has my vote ^.

I wouldn't put kids that young in anything but a connecting room with the door left open. I also wouldn't let them roam the ship without an adult. Perhaps the older child could go from point a to point b with a buddy.

I understand others keep their kids on a much longer leash and would consider my style over-protective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked a RFS on our last cruise and it was perfect for the four of us. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a living room and huge balcony. I highly recommend it if you can afford it. Since my daughter and niece are over 21 they really enjoyed the free drinks in the CL. We had originally booked a GS but were able to upgrade for a small fee. The suite was perfect and the perks can't be beat.

Edited by Colorado Babe

My first thought was that the 5 year old is very young to be with just a sibling in a strange bedroom all night long. I mean, would she stay put without you in sight? This will be the scenario if you choose adjoining cabins. Connecting cabins, as stated, would be the better option in that you can at least leave the door open and if she gets frightened or whatever, you are still very accessible.

Having said that, the suite would be lovely with all the perks that come with it. And in my opinion, the kids are too young to really need the "extra" bathroom. Nice to be able to afford a suite; we've cruised twice with our grown children in a regular balcony cabin (sofa bed). It was tight, but we are all very close and we enjoyed our time together. :)

5 is pretty young to be in a non-connecting room. Our first cruise with our boys was when they were 5 and 7. We were in a jr suite and it worked fine. Each cruise after that, we booked a room across the hall for them, but they were older. I would go with a suite with young kids or maybe a family stateroom if one is available. You are still quite far out and connecting cabins may open up, just keep checking.

Just my opinion, but 5 is kind of young for the non-connecting room idea. But should you choose to go with that, you might consider packing a baby monitor. Put the transmitter in the kid's room and keep the receiver turned on in yours. That way your children need only call out: "Mom !" if they need you, just like at home. You'll be able to hear if they call, and listen in on any activity in there, like if they're staying awake too late, or if one starts to feel sick in the night, etc.