Souks and sangria

Cityshopper

Due to sail next Tuesday (first time cruise) and was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and if they have any tips or information on the ports. Have not booked any of the organised tours yet as we were just going to visit most places ourselves, unless there are any tours recommended.

Any information appreciated :)

Due to sail next Tuesday (first time cruise) and was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and if they have any tips or information on the ports. Have not booked any of the organised tours yet as we were just going to visit most places ourselves, unless there are any tours recommended.

Any information appreciated :)

Hi Cityshopper,

Souks and Sangria is a nice itinerary (we are on it next week as well for the 4th time I think).

Gibraltar is a lovely town, think British bobbys and red post boxes - you can get minibus tours just outside the port cheaper than the Thomson ones, well worth seeing the Rock and the monkeys.

Tangier isn't very nice, but if you have never been before it's an experience!!

Motril is new this year on the itinerary and really shouldn't be on it - it is a very dull sleepy Spanish Port with little to see. A trip from here to The Alhambra Palace is highly recommended.

Cartagena is a very pleasant town, although it is a shame the cruise always calls there on a Sunday when a lot of it is shut.

Lastly Valencia is a large city with lots to see, and there is a shuttle bus service that drops you off in the city centre (about 20 minutes from the port).

Join the FB group for lots more help.

Edited by MallorcaChap

As Mallorca chap says this is a lovely itinerary....we have done it twice now and enjoyed it just as much the second time.....we did a taxi trip in Gibraltar this time picking it up about half way up Main street....but they also go from the port...it was around 20 euros each I think but well worth it as this included the entrance to St Michaels cave.

In tangier the first time we did a ships trip (City Highlights I think) which was excellent with visits to the Mdina and Kasbah as well as a drive out to the Atlantic coast and Hercules caves....this time we also did a ships trip to the 'artists village' which was also excellent and gives a good view of some of the countryside which is a lot greener than we expected.

The best thing we found in Motril was the park where the shuttle drops you off and we had a pleasant walk around there before exploring the town.

Cartagena we have been to 3 times, always on a Sunday!! We have visited the castle on top of the hill overlooking the harbour.....if you want to go here just go up the steps in front of you at the end of the jetty....walk around to the right until you see a lift which goes up to a bridge....you can go up there to the entrance or as we did, walk up the zig zag path.....we spent a while looking around here and then went down the other side to see the Roman

theatre and then carried on into town......the second time here we went to the Maritime Archaeological Museum which is right on the front at the end of the jetty just to the right....a wooden faced building. This was a fabulous modern light and airy museum with loads of artefacts. there are also boat trips from the harbour here and some shops will be open....I think they know when there is a ship in and open especially.

Valencia is a big city but very nice with lovely gardens in the dried up river bed which runs right through the city....apparently diverted to avoid the risk of flooding the city. if you make your way to the cathedral square that is where the hop on hop off tourist buses go from and there is also a market close by......there is also a tourist bus which goes to the albufera nature reserve which we did on our visit in January.....it included a boat trip on the large inland lake there to see what birds were around!! again it was good to see some of the countryside.

So all of the ports (except perhaps Tangier) are easy to do yourself and Tangier was the only one where we chose to do ships excursions. Whatever you choose to do I'm sure you will enjoy it....we do have a soft spot for this ship and the other passengers we have met on it !!:):)

In addition to the excellent advice above. Motril has a very good (free) sugar museum about 20min walk from where the shuttle bus leaves you that caters well for English speakers, & there is a museum of Motril itself that doesn't cater for the English at all (Spanish & French)... However the Motril museum does have the nicest public loos on the top floor & is also free to enter.

At Cartagena last year we found that the lady that sells tickets in the kiosk at the bottom of the glass lift sells an all in one ticket for the lift & castle, amphitheatre & tour bus for 12 euros pp which I thought a bit of a bargain, as it seemed to cover the ships tour at a fraction of their price.

Nice relaxed itinerary on a friendly ship, Enjoy.

Thanks for all the useful info. I think we will visit most places ourselves but do organised trip for Tangiar. Really looking forward to it as everyone who has sailed on IE comments on how friendly it is.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the useful info. I think we will visit most places ourselves but do organised trip for Tangiar. Really looking forward to it as everyone who has sailed on IE comments on how friendly it is.

Thanks again

It might not be the most modern ship but IMHO it definitely is the most friendly.:)

Jan

I'm also on this cruise on Tuesday!

What's the deal taking own alcohol on this ship? Was on the Dream last year and had no issues. Just wondering if this ship might have a different policy/approach.

I'm also on this cruise on Tuesday!

What's the deal taking own alcohol on this ship? Was on the Dream last year and had no issues. Just wondering if this ship might have a different policy/approach.

I do not believe there is any problem taking alcohol aboard the IE... Other than why would you want to on an all inclusive ship that even lets you take your on board duty free purchases back to the cabin.:).

I do not believe there is any problem taking alcohol aboard the IE... Other than why would you want to on an all inclusive ship that even lets you take your on board duty free purchases back to the cabin.:).

Ditto. We've never had any trouble but we didn't bother this year, why drag a load of heavy bottles from the supermarket when you don't have to. The AI drinks are strong as the middle aged woman who was crawling around on the carpet on her hands and knees in late afternoon can vouch. It wasn't me either, disgusting behaviour.:D:D

Jan

Edited by ekco

Ditto. We've never had any trouble but we didn't bother this year, why drag a load of heavy bottles from the supermarket when you don't have to. The AI drinks are strong as the middle aged woman who was crawling around on the carpet on her hands and knees in late afternoon can vouch. It wasn't me either, disgusting behaviour.:D:D

Jan

Keep forgetting it's AI! :o