Carnival(and others) in Tampa Bay Report Is In!!!!!

Building the new port is the smart way to do business. The other options are not feasible if you ask me. Also, these numbers they are throwing out for time and expenses are going to be raised, like most projects that are way down the road in completion.

I think they throw numbers out there just to see what sticks on the wall.

Nothing exists for hotels, shopping, and walking around enjoyment either for where the new port can go.

As in most instances, I think they will blow it and do the dumb option and inconvenience all that travel that bridge for years and no matter the option, will be over budget.

Yes it is, and will forever be about money which is why I suspect that a new port west of the bridge will be built sometime within the next 5+ years.

Where exactly is anyone's best guess but in the end the ends will justify the means and the needs.

As a longtime resident of the Tampa Bay Area, (48 years) and an avid cruiser (over 115 total cruises) I can't see anything other than a new port West of the SkyWay as the answer. Messing around with the bridge simply makes no sense at all to me! (That's probably why the politicians will go for that answer!) ;)

"SKY"

Building the new port is the smart way to do business. The other options are not feasible if you ask me. Also, these numbers they are throwing out for time and expenses are going to be raised, like most projects that are way down the road in completion.

I think they throw numbers out there just to see what sticks on the wall.

Nothing exists for hotels, shopping, and walking around enjoyment either for where the new port can go.

As in most instances, I think they will blow it and do the dumb option and inconvenience all that travel that bridge for years and no matter the option, will be over budget.

True ,and the impact numbers are usually voodoo numbers as well.

The channel in Tampa is very convoluted for cruise ships to follow. I'd hope that building a new port south of the bridge would also include a straight channel to the port.

Having said that, I lived in Tampa for many years and loved cruising out of that terminal. If they build another one I hope they make it just as easy and convenient!

Doubt there will be a new port built. Environmentalists won't allow it. We're fortunate we have the few beaches we do and the rest of the coast must be preserved for aquatic life. If they had their way, the entire west coast of our state would be off limits to humans. They make the anti-smoking zealots look sane.

Second point: How does this change itineraries out of Tampa? Will we be able to cruise other than to Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Central America? How about stops in New Orleans or Key West or the Eastern Caribbean? If it's just going to be the same Drunken Junkets, don't bother.

I surely hope a new port in Pinellas will happen. That is my hope, however my prediction is:

No chance they will replace Skyway/raise it.

Fair chance for a Pinellas port.

Best chance is that the Bay area will keep port in Tampa and cruise ships will leave here.

And even if they do build a port in Pinellas, it is going to be so far in the future it probably won't matter.

None of those options will be exercised anytime soon, so Tampa will likely lose out on the cruise industry within the next decade.

That's about my time line, and will begin the decline in 2015. 2014 is the peak for cruise traffic.

Where would a port go west of the Skyway and still be "Tampa"? it looks like Bradenton would be the best option...

There is no place outside the Skyway that would work for a cruise port. Pretty much all of the accessible shoreline in Bradenton outside of the bridges is protected. The same is true of Pinellas County.

Any thought of building a new port in the area is a pipe dream.

When the Skyway reaches the end of its service life, they may build its replacement high enough to allow cruise ships to pass beneath, but that won't be for many decades.

All you doomsayers get a life. Carnival is not leaving they still will have Fantasy and Spirit class ships that will be able to use Tampa.They will move ships as circumstances permit. Face it Tampa is now a one demensional port Western carib only. They should think about Panama Canal cruises.

One thing is for sure......when you live in the Tampa area you sure have a lot of cruise options within a five hour drive. I will say living in Plant City the drive to Port Canaveral isn't bad at all.

All you doomsayers get a life. Carnival is not leaving they still will have Fantasy and Spirit class ships that will be able to use Tampa.They will move ships as circumstances permit. Face it Tampa is now a one demensional port Western carib only. They should think about Panama Canal cruises.

Agreed.

There is no place outside the Skyway that would work for a cruise port. Pretty much all of the accessible shoreline in Bradenton outside of the bridges is protected. The same is true of Pinellas County.

Any thought of building a new port in the area is a pipe dream.

When the Skyway reaches the end of its service life, they may build its replacement high enough to allow cruise ships to pass beneath, but that won't be for many decades.

But wouldn't building a new bridge in Bradenton or Pinellas tall enough to accommodate a cruise ship, be MUCH cheaper than replacing the Skyway?

We used to have cruises from Tampa to lots of different ports, including New Orleans, Key West, etc. I agree that as long as we have Fantasy Class, and Spirit Class size ships, we'll be able to sail from Tampa. Also agree that Port Canaveral simply isn't that far away. I sail from there about half of the time anyway. ;)

"SKY"

...I agree that as long as we have Fantasy Class, and Spirit Class size ships, we'll be able to sail from Tampa...

"SKY"

Yes so long as the stop sending 3/4 of the Spirit Class ships to the west coast and Australia and keep a good portion of Fantasy Class ships on the east coast.

Yes so long as the stop sending 3/4 of the Spirit Class ships to the west coast and Australia and keep a good portion of Fantasy Class ships on the east coast.

The other side to this discussion is the dilemma Carnival has with the Fantasy class of ships. Until they add more Vista (or another new class) ships, they have the Fantasy class which pretty much has been regulated to 3 to 5 day cruises. Add to that the statement that they will move ships out of the Caribbean makes me wonder what the short term future holds for these ships. Obviously they do not think they can fill the week long cruise market or they would have used one in Tampa.

The other side to this discussion is the dilemma Carnival has with the Fantasy class of ships. Until they add more Vista (or another new class) ships, they have the Fantasy class which pretty much has been regulated to 3 to 5 day cruises. Add to that the statement that they will move ships out of the Caribbean makes me wonder what the short term future holds for these ships. Obviously they do not think they can fill the week long cruise market or they would have used one in Tampa.

I suspect 3/4 day sailings will continue to be part of Carnivals strategy... *IF* they were to give away that market, it would open the door for another upstart to purchase a Ship and start to run sailings out of Tampa...

But wouldn't building a new bridge in Bradenton or Pinellas tall enough to accommodate a cruise ship, be MUCH cheaper than replacing the Skyway?

You need a LOT of room to ramp up to a ~200 foot clearance from sea level. I just don't see where they have room to do it even if it were in the budget.

I suspect 3/4 day sailings will continue to be part of Carnivals strategy... *IF* they were to give away that market, it would open the door for another upstart to purchase a Ship and start to run sailings out of Tampa...

Sorry, I was not clear. I agree that the Fantasy class fits for 3/4 day sailing. My point was if they pull ships out of the Caribbean (assuming some of the pullouts are Fantasy class ships) what would they do with them?

Sorry, I was not clear. I agree that the Fantasy class fits for 3/4 day sailing. My point was if they pull ships out of the Caribbean (assuming some of the pullouts are Fantasy class ships) what would they do with them?

They would sell them I would imagine.. probably with some stipulation that they couldn't sail in the Caribbean for some time... That's what NCL is trying to do with one of their ships (well a listing I saw a number of years back)