Cruise Critic Community
flcraigs5

Purchases in Budapest

We purchased both hot and sweet as well as the "paste" from the Market Place. We took a goulash making class with a chef at the Sofitel. I can't wait to make my goulash!!

Sounds like fun!

I was going to take the goulash making class @ the Sofitel; but they'd had a fire that morning...so it was cancelled. So, I bought the paprika and came home and made my own version, which my husband loved!!

We purchased both hot and sweet as well as the "paste" from the Market Place. We took a goulash making class with a chef at the Sofitel. I can't wait to make my goulash!!

I saw bunches of pictures of salami etc. hanging in alot of the stalls. Can that be brought back to the USA?

Sorry no salami allowed. You might find Hungarian salami in specialty shops in the USA.

Sorry no salami allowed. You might find Hungarian salami in specialty shops in the USA.

Hmmmmm. I brought salami back from Germany this past Dec. Just asked for it to be vacuum packed. No problem at all.

Edited by H2Otstr

Have brought back paprika a number of times from Hungary - and have always bought it in the market...

...If you are at the market, look for the strudel stall.... Heavenly. Also, you can eat upstairs --> just walk around and look for what appeals to you food wise.

If you need to use the washrooms, the washroom on the upper floor near the front is cheaper that the one on the lower floor at the back.

Enjoy!!!

Fran

Thank you for all of the wonderful information.

Denise

Can you use euros in the Central Market or do you need the local currency? We're not doing any pre-cruise days so don't want to get local money unless necessary.

When I was there last December, several of the booths upstairs had prices posted in USD, Euros & Forints. The price was best in forints - sometimes by 20 or 30%. I always pull some local currency out of an ATM. Leftovers can be used for gratuities at the end of a cruise or exchanged for the next currency -the rate isn't that bad.

Just a comment about the salami...

DH and I LOVE salami - but were a bit disappointed in the salami in Budapest. We found it was quite a bit fattier than what we can get here at home. So - never even considered trying to bring any home.

Also - Canada Customs are just as specific about meat, fruits and vegetables entering the country - so I don't even try.

Fran

Here's another website with information about bringing meat and cheese into the U.S.:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat,-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s.

(I'm sure Canada is just as tough--don't believe you can bring meat in of any kind, however packaged.)

Can you use euros in the Central Market or do you need the local currency? We're not doing any pre-cruise days so don't want to get local money unless necessary.

When I was there last December, several of the booths upstairs had prices posted in USD, Euros & Forints. The price was best in forints - sometimes by 20 or 30%. I always pull some local currency out of an ATM. Leftovers can be used for gratuities at the end of a cruise or exchanged for the next currency -the rate isn't that bad.

We noticed the same price difference HUF vs Euros at the Central Market. There are ATMs on the main floor of the Market. Easy to withdraw some HUF for your purchases. Like many others, we bought Paprika for gifts and for ourselves....I wish I had bought more!

Has anyone taken the cooking classes at the market?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a comment about the salami...

DH and I LOVE salami - but were a bit disappointed in the salami in Budapest. We found it was quite a bit fattier than what we can get here at home. So - never even considered trying to bring any home.

Also - Canada Customs are just as specific about meat, fruits and vegetables entering the country - so I don't even try.

Fran

Hi. We are from Canada also. Can you bring cheese back?

Marly

Has anyone taken the cooking classes at the market?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We didn't take a class at the market but we did have a great tour of the market followed by a cooking class from Agnes at her apartment. Drop me an email to BigNCBear@aol.com and I will send you her contact info since I am afraid the TOS don't allow me to list it here....unless of course you specifically ask me for it;)

We didn't take a class at the market but we did have a great tour of the market followed by a cooking class from Agnes at her apartment. Drop me an email to BigNCBear@aol.com and I will send you her contact info since I am afraid the TOS don't allow me to list it here....unless of course you specifically ask me for it;)

Would you please send me the info. regarding your market tour from Agnes, does she have a website and what was the price of the tour? also was that the only tour she did or did she do more than the actual market? Thanks.

Marlene

Would you please send me the info. regarding your market tour from Agnes, does she have a website and what was the price of the tour? also was that the only tour she did or did she do more than the actual market? Thanks.

Marlene

I believe she only does the market tour and/or the cooking class but I could be wrong. Her website is www dot budapestcookingclass dot com

The price for the combo is 30,000HUF which represented a 15% discount since we had four...if we had of had 6 (the max) she would have reduced the price by a total of 20%. The day we were there, the exchange rate made the tour and class cost about $108 per person. We felt like between the tour, the class and the meal, it was a good value and probably the best "excursion" we did during our river cruise.

Just something I found on bringing back food from Central Market. "Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties and dismissal from the Global Entry program. Travelers may check the general admissibility of fruits and vegetables by consulting APHIS's FAVIR database at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/favir/.

Paprika! All different kinds. Also Palinka! Woah that stuff is strong! And they’ll give you free samples. lol. Also canned goose pate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Paprika! All different kinds. Also Palinka! Woah that stuff is strong! And they’ll give you free samples. lol. Also canned goose pate.

We did the same: Palinka and paprika. Looking forward to more toward the end of the year.

We did the same: Palinka and paprika. Looking forward to more toward the end of the year.

Unicum! Brought back a bottle or two...

Having watched a few episodes of Border Security on TV (both the Canadian and US version) it would seem you will not get fined if you declare your food products on your customs card. They may take it away , but that would be the worse of it. Just accept that it has to be tossed , be polite and its done. The risk is financial and time, what you spent on the product is not recoverable and the time you spend getting your luggage inspected after you ticked that box on the card. It is when you don't tick that check box for 'meat' and such, and they find it is when you get in trouble. Personally I'd just buy what I'm sure will not be a problem.

Palinka - you are brave. That stuff tastes like rubbing alcohol. ;)

We are just beginning to plan for our Viking cruise in November, with 1 full day in Budapest. Is it possible to walk to the Central Market from the port, or what options are there to get to and from? TIA

We are just beginning to plan for our Viking cruise in November, with 1 full day in Budapest. Is it possible to walk to the Central Market from the port, or what options are there to get to and from? TIA

Well everything is within walking distance just depends on whether you are up for it or not! LOL

But below is a google map from the Chain Bridge to the market that show its a little over a mile walk. Budapest is relatively flat so very doable IMHO.

The poorly drawn red “dot” is about where we were docked but there were Viking ships behind us (towards the market) and all to the other side of the Chain Bridge so hopefully this will give you a good idea.

Taxis are readily available and not terribly expensive as I recall. Have a great cruise!

8e4f85a296bc9296382c222c70aab5d1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk