Going to BLUE BAY/KAY need info

mitsugirly

Mitsugirly,

I also want to thank you for your information about Blue Kay. Just got off of the Valor yesterday and we were only in Costa Maya until 2 PM last Thursday. But we had a wonderful morning at Blue Kay. Easy to get there, the water and beach was beautiful, drinks were cold and and service was great. Didn't have any food because of the short time. Sure there was a bit of seaweed but they had folks working to clean it up, but it wasn't a major problem. Wished we could have stayed all day. We will be there again if we are ever in Costa Maya.

Yay! This is the exact same ship, itinerary, we are doing leaving Sat! Glad to hear Blue Kay worked out, and would love to hear anything else you have to say about your trip. Feel free to private message me if you want, to avoid hijacking this thread. Thanks!!

Yay! This is the exact same ship, itinerary, we are doing leaving Sat! Glad to hear Blue Kay worked out, and would love to hear anything else you have to say about your trip. Feel free to private message me if you want, to avoid hijacking this thread. Thanks!!

This forum does not allow private messaging, therefore, there's not a function for it. ;)

We'll be going off of the Valor as well for that dreaded 7am-2pm port call time. Would enjoy hearing any other information about how the early morning port call went from jonboy9756. What time did you get there? Was the Melecon relatively busy? Did you guys use the bicycles?

And I second the statement above. mitsugirly, your reviews are excellent and they have helped me map out what I want to do on three of the four ports for my next cruise. They are so enjoyable to read, that I go back and read through past ones just to absorb the great info that you put out, even if it isn't directly related to my next cruise. Thanks a ton!

We'll be going off of the Valor as well for that dreaded 7am-2pm port call time. Would enjoy hearing any other information about how the early morning port call went from jonboy9756. What time did you get there? Was the Melecon relatively busy? Did you guys use the bicycles?

And I second the statement above. mitsugirly, your reviews are excellent and they have helped me map out what I want to do on three of the four ports for my next cruise. They are so enjoyable to read, that I go back and read through past ones just to absorb the great info that you put out, even if it isn't directly related to my next cruise. Thanks a ton!

You are so kind. Thank you for the compliments. I really appreciate it.

Although we didn't go to Blue Kay during this trip that I did the review, we did head to the Malecon our Carnival Dream trip with the same hours 7-2pm as you have. We got off the ship right after we docked (it was still dark out that time :eek:) and headed straight there. We felt that it was a good day as far as time wise since we had gotten off first thing in the morning (even though we didn't like the place we had picked for that vacation-Nohoch). I really wish Carnival would stay in port longer. I don't know what the rush is! :p

I believe we were docked around 7 AM. We were not in a hurry as we had been up early for the other 3 ports. But I think folks were getting off the ship by 8 AM ships time, which is 7 AM local time. Blue Kay's info said they didn't open until 9 local time anyway. I don't know if they are strict about that. So we had a leisurely breakfast, strolled into the port area and shopped a little, and rode the tram down to Blue Kay arriving about 10 AM. They treated us very well. We only had about 3 hours before catching a taxi back to the ship. We just chilled on the beach, enjoying the water and a few drinks. No bicycling, no snorkelling, didn't go down the Malecon.

To Ourfamilyof4:

Sorry I can't private message. I will be posting some comments in various threads about the Valor and the ports of call we visited. You can check those out and/or feel free to ask questions.

I too want to thank Mitsugirly for her wonderful review of Blue Kay and recommending it. We enjoyed a wonderful day there and will certainly go back there again when we stop at Costa Maya.

Also nice meeting you jonboy9756 and glad you made it home safely.

I too want to thank Mitsugirly for her wonderful review of Blue Kay and recommending it. We enjoyed a wonderful day there and will certainly go back there again when we stop at Costa Maya.

Thank you and glad you enjoyed yourself. :)

Thanks finoky! yes It was nice to finally meet a fellow Cruise Critic-er in person.

• 4 weeks later...
I have officially picked where I'm going on our Costa Maya day...Koox Blue Bay (or may be known as Kay now).

Mitsugirly - Are you still around? ::crossing my fingers::

I saw that when you were at Blue Kay you had drinks. Did you ask about the water / ice that they used - if it was bottled or not? I really want to enjoy some blended drinks, but really really don't want any after effects.

Thanks again for your review. I'm looking forward to visiting!

Just wanted to say we did go to Blue Kay as planned, during our cruise 5-30---6-6. Beautiful place, just as Mitsugirly said! We had a great time!! Just a couple things...watch out for poisonous things, urchins, stingrays, lionfish. Yes, we saw all of these, and a girl from our ship got stung by a ray, and had a trip to the hospital 😱 She was right next to us in the water.

Also, watch your bill. They added several things we didnt order, as well as an $11 tip on a $38 order, after they corrected the bill.

The food is GOOOD, and plentiful. $38 bought 2 cokes, 2 pacificos, a large plate of chips and guac, a large plate of chips and pico, large loaded chicken nachos, and again a large chicken burrito. So much we couldnt finish it all.

Would love to return!!

Oh, also, we were off the ship early. Blue Kay didnt open until a couple of hours at least after we arrived. Only people there were a couple of guys raking seaweed. We just got chairs and enjoyed the beach. Main bathrooms were all locked up, so i used my limited spanish to find out where to go. There were more restrooms by the little cabins that were open. Mainly spanish spoken here. Our waiter did speak english fairly well, tho. We communicated with both english and spanish combo, lol.

Mitsugirly - Are you still around? ::crossing my fingers::

I saw that when you were at Blue Kay you had drinks. Did you ask about the water / ice that they used - if it was bottled or not? I really want to enjoy some blended drinks, but really really don't want any after effects.

Thanks again for your review. I'm looking forward to visiting!

Yep, still around. I never really inquire about the ice used in the water. I can almost guarantee that any tourist place you go to these days use purified water...Costa Maya, Cozumel or where ever. I have been just about everywhere and never ever had a problem with the water or food or anything.

Just wanted to say we did go to Blue Kay as planned, during our cruise 5-30---6-6. Beautiful place, just as Mitsugirly said! We had a great time!! Just a couple things...watch out for poisonous things, urchins, stingrays, lionfish. Yes, we saw all of these, and a girl from our ship got stung by a ray, and had a trip to the hospital 😱 She was right next to us in the water.

Also, watch your bill. They added several things we didnt order, as well as an $11 tip on a $38 order, after they corrected the bill.

The food is GOOOD, and plentiful. $38 bought 2 cokes, 2 pacificos, a large plate of chips and guac, a large plate of chips and pico, large loaded chicken nachos, and again a large chicken burrito. So much we couldnt finish it all.

Would love to return!!

Glad you had a good time and was able to enjoy the place. Man that sounds like a lot of food for an excellent price.

Gotta be careful about the creatures in the water at any place you go to. I have seen Lionfish and urchins just about everywhere you go. As for stingrays, they will not sting you unless they feel threatened by you...like for instance you step on them (as with any of the other animals mentioned). Stingrays are very easy to see in the crystal blue water (the others, not so much). The best advice they give you is to shuffle your feet when in the water in case one is buried in the sand.

Sorry to hear they messed your bill up. At least you caught it. Did you have the same waiter every time? I know sometimes if you end up with another waiter or you have went up to the bar to order something (maybe on the way to the restroom) then the bill could get mixed up. We did this on our visit and just told our waiter what we added and he put it on there.

I hope we get the change to return again the near future. :)

Yep, still around. I never really inquire about the ice used in the water. I can almost guarantee that any tourist place you go to these days use purified water...Costa Maya, Cozumel or where ever. I have been just about everywhere and never ever had a problem with the water or food or anything.

Glad you had a good time and was able to enjoy the place. Man that sounds like a lot of food for an excellent price.

Gotta be careful about the creatures in the water at any place you go to. I have seen Lionfish and urchins just about everywhere you go. As for stingrays, they will not sting you unless they feel threatened by you...like for instance you step on them (as with any of the other animals mentioned). Stingrays are very easy to see in the crystal blue water (the others, not so much). The best advice they give you is to shuffle your feet when in the water in case one is buried in the sand.

Sorry to hear they messed your bill up. At least you caught it. Did you have the same waiter every time? I know sometimes if you end up with another waiter or you have went up to the bar to order something (maybe on the way to the restroom) then the bill could get mixed up. We did this on our visit and just told our waiter what we added and he put it on there.

I hope we get the change to return again the near future. :)

Yes, those creatures are lots of places we have been, too. But these were plentiful. This place seemed more" primitive". As far as the swimming creatures, it may have been because it was so early in the morning. I have never witnessed anyone stung by a ray before, either, even though myself, husband, dad, etc have all stepped on them in the past. We snorkel often. But this was crazy. I would definitely go back. But not without water shoes. Lol. It's not so huge a deal I would warn others away. Just be forewarned and watch out. A stay in a Mexican hospital wouldn't be fun.

The bill wasn't a huge deal either. Just watch them, as you would anywhere. And yes, same waiter, who knows?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation! Wish I was there now!

• 1 month later...

Mitsugirly - I've read so many of your TR I am sort of lost now when I am trying to find something again!!

Do you have the map of the area you shared some where along the line?

I am considering multiple places in this area for our 5/16 cruise. I'm leaning toward Pez Quandros and wondered if that was on your map. Also looking at YaYa, Maya Chan, Nohoch and Blue Kay. I want to make sure we get back to the ship and whichever we choose is on the trolley line. THANK YOU.

Mitsugirly - I've read so many of your TR I am sort of lost now when I am trying to find something again!!

Do you have the map of the area you shared some where along the line?

I am considering multiple places in this area for our 5/16 cruise. I'm leaning toward Pez Quandros and wondered if that was on your map. Also looking at YaYa' date=' Maya Chan, Nohoch and Blue Kay. I want to make sure we get back to the ship and whichever we choose is on the trolley line. THANK YOU.[/quote']

Hmm, let me know if this works to show you the distance. I'm not sure if this was the map you are talking about or not:

almaplena-L.jpg

Here's another that I have

distance-M.jpg

I'm leaning toward Pez Quandros and wondered if that was on your map. Also looking at YaYa

I can tell you that both Pez Quadro Beach Club and also Yaya are located right there on the Malecon.

They should be located right there between Nohoch and Tropicante along that strip. :)

Thank you Mitsugirly for all your detailed reviews. Really helpful and enjoy the pictures/maps help visualize everything and connect once one is there by your pictures. DH and I where in Costa Maya in 2014 and this time we are cruising with our little ones DS 3 and DD 4 in a couple of months. Looks like we will trying out Blue Kay. Thank you again.

Thank you Mitsugirly for all your detailed reviews. Really helpful and enjoy the pictures/maps help visualize everything and connect once one is there by your pictures. DH and I where in Costa Maya in 2014 and this time we are cruising with our little ones DS 3 and DD 4 in a couple of months. Looks like we will trying out Blue Kay. Thank you again.

You are very welcome and glad when I can help others out the way so many people on these boards have helped me out.

I hope you have a wonderful time at Blue Kay. :)

Have you ben to either' date=' Mitsugirly?[/quote']

I have not sorry. The only place on the Malecon that I have been to is Nohoch (didn't have a great experience there and really didn't like the atmosphere or water/surroundings) and Blue Kay, which will probably be the only place we head to from now on since they impressed me that much. :D

I want to thank you as well for your detailed reviews, Mitsugirly! We are doing a cruise in December and we are going to Little French Key and Blue Kay, and then back to Chankanaab. And I probably wouldn't have heard of any of them if I hadn't seen your reviews!! Still deciding about Belize...did cave tubing with bz last time and loved it...not sure about the shark swim. Hoping to find somewhere cheap to snorkel...trying to save money on this cruise. Time to do some research!!

I want to thank you as well for your detailed reviews, Mitsugirly! We are doing a cruise in December and we are going to Little French Key and Blue Kay, and then back to Chankanaab. And I probably wouldn't have heard of any of them if I hadn't seen your reviews!! Still deciding about Belize...did cave tubing with bz last time and loved it...not sure about the shark swim. Hoping to find somewhere cheap to snorkel...trying to save money on this cruise. Time to do some research!!

Aww, thank you so much for your kind words and I hope you have a great time. Honestly, the shark stingray swim is amazing if you ever get a chance. Definitely a great experience to check off the list.

The thing with Belize is there's not beaches you can just hop in a cab and go to. You'll have to do an excursion to get to any of them. One's that I have previously looked into are Rendezvous Cay or Goffs Cay. Both VERY small islands in the middle of no where. I can't remember if BOTH have snorkeling or not. I know at least one of them does if you are interested. Do a search for them over on the Belize boards. Other than that, I know people usually head over to Caye Caulker for the day. Then of course you have just your regular snorkeling tours. Belize is located on one of the biggest barrier reefs and I'm told AMAZING snorkeling there, but of course it's a boat ride and cost $$ to get there, like anything else. It's actually offered along with the shark/stingray swims because it's close to the same area. If we hadn't done the ship excursion to the shark ray alley, we were going to do the shark ray going over to Ambergris Caye where the snorkeling is at and you get more of the reef (but you had to fly over there). :p

Whatever you decide, have an awesome cruise and time. :)

Mitsugirly,

I've always visited Tropicante on my Costa Maya port stops, but have decided on Blue Kay this time on your recommendation. So, I looked at their website and since it's all in Spanish, can't understand a thing. Am I correct that I don't need a reservation and just show up to enjoy the beach and order some drinks and food?

Also, in my many Caribbean cruises, I have never taken water shoes with me. Now, I'm reading about sea urchins, stingrays, and lionfish. I noticed your daughter barefoot in some of your pictures in your review. Can't be too dangerous. Right? :confused: