Going to BLUE BAY/KAY need info

mitsugirly

Mitsugirly,

I've always visited Tropicante on my Costa Maya port stops, but have decided on Blue Kay this time on your recommendation. So, I looked at their website and since it's all in Spanish, can't understand a thing. Am I correct that I don't need a reservation and just show up to enjoy the beach and order some drinks and food?

Also, in my many Caribbean cruises, I have never taken water shoes with me. Now, I'm reading about sea urchins, stingrays, and lionfish. I noticed your daughter barefoot in some of your pictures in your review. Can't be too dangerous. Right? :confused:

When you get to the Spanish website there is a little U.S. Flag top right corner which if you click on it will bring up English. Also try the tab for menu for mire options and some activities at the bottom. HTH.

I haven't made it there yet but I understand you can get PAYG or a beach pass.

Edited by c-leg5

Mitsugirly,

I've always visited Tropicante on my Costa Maya port stops, but have decided on Blue Kay this time on your recommendation. So, I looked at their website and since it's all in Spanish, can't understand a thing. Am I correct that I don't need a reservation and just show up to enjoy the beach and order some drinks and food?

Also, in my many Caribbean cruises, I have never taken water shoes with me. Now, I'm reading about sea urchins, stingrays, and lionfish. I noticed your daughter barefoot in some of your pictures in your review. Can't be too dangerous. Right? :confused:

I will answer you on the website issue because I just did it a few days ago. There is a little American flag in the top right corner that you can click to make it in English. That being said, I still couldn't get the contact form to send so I sent them a message in Facebook and they said you can just show up, no entry fee, but they do have packages for kayaks and stuff if you want. I didn't ask for details because we're not interested in that. But they responded the same day on Facebook so you might want to try that.

Mitsugirly,

When you go to their website, go up to the very top and you'll see a picture of the US flag. Click on that and everything will be in English. :D

You are correct. You can just show up and tell them you are just going to buy food and drink for the day. (Unless you actually want a package that includes other things as listed on their website).

We did see a lionfish down at Nohoch Cay when we were there. But with lionfish, they can be anywhere in the ocean and I have probably ran into them on almost every cruise. But you're not going to step on them, they are swimming and usually hiding under something like coral/rock or something that has been placed in the ocean. With sea urchins, we have seen a bunch in various locations but you can easily see them in the water and they are usually bunched together and on the rocks.

We wear our water shoes with us every time we get off the ship. But, we wear them as shoes to the beach (instead of bringing 2 pairs of shoes). The only time we have ever used them in the water is if it's a rocky shore. When it's just sandy, we never use them and that goes for all of us. :) Never had a problem so far.

Do you adults also just use the kind of water shoes from Walmart' date=' or something special?[/quote']

We just use whatever water shoes we happen to find while out shopping, whether it be from Walmart or any other store. We usually cruise 2-3 times a year and then we also go jet skiing every weekend during the summer months here at home and they have always lasted a good 2-3 years. Actually the only time we ended up messing up our water shoes was last year when we went to St Maarten and was at a place that you climbed on the rocks and they were extremely sharp and they tore the bottom of the soles up. I would think that would have happened to any shoes we would have had on that day. LOL

I read a review that stated the loungers were very uncomfortable. When I look at their website I see wooden loungers, wide slats, no cushions.

Are all the loungers like this?

Thanks!

Yes, this is definitely the drawback to BK...the chairs. :(

PB130357%20copy-M.jpg

Unless they have changed them since we were there last November, they are all like that. We ended up putting our towels on them to sit and it helped.

Their website even states " Palapas with tables and wooden chairs"

However, they do have a few pictures on their website that shows the white platic loungers there as well.

16012014-DSC_0067.jpg

Mitsugirly - after reading your amazing Blue Kay review I have decided it's where we'll spend the day when we call in Costa Maya mid December. For the open air bus to get there, where do you buy the tickets? Does that only operate for certain hours, which is why you had to take a taxi back to the ship? Do you remember how much the taxi was? Much appreciated.

Mitsugirly - after reading your amazing Blue Kay review I have decided it's where we'll spend the day when we call in Costa Maya mid December. For the open air bus to get there, where do you buy the tickets? Does that only operate for certain hours, which is why you had to take a taxi back to the ship? Do you remember how much the taxi was? Much appreciated.

The ticket booth is right beside where you catch the bus by the sidewalk as you exit the port. You can't miss it. No worries. :)

I'm honestly not sure about the hours. I just know every time we go there, you always take a taxi back from where ever you happen to be along the Malecon. :confused:

Taxi's are the same price coming back. Just have someone there at Blue Kay call one for you and they pull up out front to pick you up and you still pay the $3 pp to get back. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Excited about visiting Blue Kay soon. Hoping the seaweed situation will be OK in early December!

Probably the answer is yes, but just to be sure....Can we pay in US $ for food/drinks?

Can we rent lockers there without paying the all inclusive price? Cost if known.

Thanks again!

Barbara

Excited about visiting Blue Kay soon. Hoping the seaweed situation will be OK in early December!

Probably the answer is yes, but just to be sure....Can we pay in US $ for food/drinks?

Can we rent lockers there without paying the all inclusive price? Cost if known.

Thanks again!

Barbara

Absolutely, you can pay in US dollars. No problems.

Yes, you can rent the lockers without having to buy any package. I want to say it was like $3 or maybe $5 (they ended up giving us ours for free after eating and drinks there that day and they were extremely nice about it...even though we only spent $40+ dollars the entire day for 3 people, I guess they thought that was a lot) :)

• 2 weeks later...
I want to say it was $35 / day but I an't find it on their site currently.

http://bluekaymahahual.com/en/home/

I just sent them a FB message because they answered me with the last question I had (whether we could just go hang on their beach for free, and they said yes).

I see on the website it says $420 for a "Beach break pass", which I am assuming is pesos, which equates to $25 US money. However, one place says that includes alcoholic beverages, one place says non-alcoholic, so I sent them a message to clarify. I will post here if I hear back.

• 2 weeks later...
I just sent them a FB message because they answered me with the last question I had (whether we could just go hang on their beach for free, and they said yes).

I see on the website it says $420 for a "Beach break pass", which I am assuming is pesos, which equates to $25 US money. However, one place says that includes alcoholic beverages, one place says non-alcoholic, so I sent them a message to clarify. I will post here if I hear back.

I had to message them 3 times and finally got a reply today. They said the beach break for 420 pesos includes alcoholic drinks, snacks, and use of beach facilities. I'm not sure if that means the kayaks (which I specifically asked about) but don't feel like asking again, I'll just figure it out when I get there.