Disembarkation issue- Advice please

Scrapchick

Not blaming anyone for being unco-operative...just trying to understand why we cannot disembark earlier unless we we carry our own bags. That's all...

Thanks to those of you who offered some great suggestions. We are confident we will find a solution.

Not blaming anyone for being unco-operative...just trying to understand why we cannot disembark earlier unless we we carry our own bags. That's all...

Thanks to those of you who offered some great suggestions. We are confident we will find a solution.

I thought that was already explained:confused: what time do you expect the shore staff to start to work just so YOU can get your bags?

HAL has no control over this.

Solutions have been offered. Please don't expect a miracle. Instead take advantage of the advice here and find one that works for you.

Good Luck :)

I thought that was already explained:confused: what time do you expect the shore staff to start to work just so YOU can get your bags?

HAL has no control over this.

Solutions have been offered. Please don't expect a miracle. Instead take advantage of the advice here and find one that works for you.

Good Luck :)

Although I don't know specifically about Venice, many ports have specific rules about who can handle baggage. There may be as few as two groups, or as many as five or six. As an example, I know that HAL personnel are not allowed to touch luggage off the ship in many ports. I recently boarded late in Quebec City and there was a steward just inside the scan in area that took my bag and carried it to my stateroom while I checked in. Shore side personnel may only be able to grab a basket of luggage while there might be another group that sort it to the respective color groups.

Another consideration is the number of hours that both the crew and the shore personnel are allowed to work.

All this activity is specifically covered by either laws or union rules (both on the ship and off) that could cause HAL a lot of trouble if they even tried to bend the rules for you.

Your best bet is to either get a hotel room the first day, or make use of the baggage check area at the airport.

Wow, you have yourself in a mess. I think I would follow some of the other suggestions on getting off the day before and going to a hotel close to the airport. You are not going to be able to leave the ship the next day before 7:30 and you have way to much luggage to handle by yourselves. Even if you could its to late to catch your very early flight. My other suggestion is next time don't book a flight before noon.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Agree there are some great suggestions here. Good luck to you!

To try & explain: the big "unmanageable" bags would have been sent (by you) the night before, when you put your big luggage outside your cabin door. Right? Just like on all your other cruises. This leaves you with some number of small, manageable pieces that you hand-carry off the ship in the morning.

Someone (a combination of ship & port workers) needs to put all the big "night-before" luggage into the luggage cages, and move it off the ship, and then unpack the cages & arrange & sort it in the arrivals hall. THAT'S the part that simply won't be ready for you before 7:30am -- likely due to the hours those port workers start their shift.

Make sense?

Although I don't know specifically about Venice, many ports have specific rules about who can handle baggage. There may be as few as two groups, or as many as five or six. As an example, I know that HAL personnel are not allowed to touch luggage off the ship in many ports. I recently boarded late in Quebec City and there was a steward just inside the scan in area that took my bag and carried it to my stateroom while I checked in. Shore side personnel may only be able to grab a basket of luggage while there might be another group that sort it to the respective color groups.

Another consideration is the number of hours that both the crew and the shore personnel are allowed to work.

All this activity is specifically covered by either laws or union rules (both on the ship and off) that could cause HAL a lot of trouble if they even tried to bend the rules for you.

Your best bet is to either get a hotel room the first day, or make use of the baggage check area at the airport.

You are right specifically as pertains to Boston.

Several years ago, we were on Maasdam when our cruise substantially ended days early, skipped ports and hurried back to Boston arriving two days earlier than scheduled to try and secure ship for a hurricane seemingly headed our way.

DH and I chose to leave the ship as soon as it cleared though most guests remained aboard from Thursday until Saturday which was scheduled debark day. We live Boston and wanted to be home if this predicted hurricane really struck in the way all were concerned it might. (In the end it veered off from the coast but it did head to Maritimes.)

Our cabin stewards brought our luggage from Navigation Deck to the gangway but were not permitted to carry it down the gangway. Stevedores (Teamsters Union ?) from shoreside came up the gangway and took a handover from our stewards and carried it to a taxi waiting with trunk open at the foot of the gangway. How's that for service? :D Though it was a small gangway, and stewards would have only had to take it ten feet to the waiting taxi, it was not permitted.

We were most grateful for all the help we got.

Edited by sail7seas

Dear Scrapchick,

I am sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Some airlines in Europe allow you to check in you and your baggage the night before your flight. You may want to see if this is possible with your airline.

If it is, you may want to ask some fellow passengers to help you with your bags and get them into a cab. Then you could go to the airport and check in for the flight in that night. Just keep your carry on baggage and valuables to leave in the morning.

Otherwise, you may seriously want to consider an airport hotel for your last night in Europe.

I hope it all works out for you.

soccer

Here's a cheaper option.

Venice airport has a left luggage service:

http://www.veniceairport.it/en/at-the-airport/left-luggage-and-porter-service.html

Take the unmanageable bags off the ship on arrival day, take a taxi to the airport and leave them with left luggage. Continue with your relaxing day in Venice.

Return to the ship, have a nice dinner, pack your last bags, with which you can self-disembark in the wee hours of the morning. Take another taxi to the airport, reclaim your left luggage (it opens at 5 am) and check in for your flights.

J

This is also a good suggestion that you may want to consider.