What would you do in Nassau-from 1:30pm -11:59pm?

mapleleafvoyage

We are stopping in Nassau for a long time! 130-midnight.. We have never been, and are very curious is Atlantis is do-able for this amount of time?

We are there April 13th.

Can you recommend something that you would do.. (We are not overly fond of just sitting on a beach.. .. but if that is all there is to do?... please help :D)

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

I'm interested in this information also. We will be there from 1:00 pm to 11:59 pm in March 2015. We're not the bar-hopping or night-clubbing type, and hubby is not the beach-relaxing type :rolleyes:. Taking into consideration many reviews saying that it's not the safest port even in the daytime, I'm wondering what we will do after spending a few hours maybe taking a private tour of the island. Go back to the ship and enjoy the sights from there? Is there anything safe to do after the sun has gone down? And we will have our 15 yr old son with us.

Well, I sent out an S.O.S. to the main Royal board, asking for others who have visited here to come into this Bahamas boards and answer some questions...I have never been to Bahamas so am reading and trying to decide..

It looks like many times, these other boards off the main ones go un-answered.. :(

Not sure what to do now, lol.

I spend many hours here searching for answers... hopefully someone will see and help with some of these questions..

Hi- There is plenty to do in Nassau.

We have done the following: Atlantis Beach Day, the Melia (formerly Sheraton) on Cable Beach, and the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter.

These are of course beach and water sport excursions.

We have also been to the British Colonial Hilton, the Ardastra Gardens & Zoo, the Pirate's Museum, and on a horse carriage ride. Have also done some walking and shopping on Bay St. Some friends went to Graycliff Hotel to watch cigar making and chocolate making.

We always do things in Nassau during the day and stay on the ship in the evening.

Most of the above excursions have a website.

We found recommendations for Nassau to use the People to People program and used it last year - definitely an alternative to the typical touristy things you do in Nassau. I had been before and had gone swimming with the dolphins and neither my friend nor I were really interested in other excursions and then we read about this. We had a really nice interesting man who drove us all over the island - places we wouldn't have seen -told us all sorts of facts and information and was very informative. He seemed to have known everyone as he used to work for their government

"Bahamians love meeting new people and making friends. When you join our complimentary People-To-People Experience, you’ll be paired with a Bahamian ambassador who will show you our culture and way of life. Similarly, Bahamians looking to participate in our program as an ambassador can contact the Ministry of Tourism for more information.

http://www.bahamas.com/people-to-people

Here are some reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147414-d254553-Reviews-People_to_People-Bahamas.html

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851069

Edited by genealogyfan

The "People to People" tour sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Will definitely keep this in mind and see if the others in my group are open to it. Thanks for sharing the information and links. :)

We have been to Nassau many times and always enjoy it. Here is a list of the things we have done from most enjoyable to least enjoyable:

Tru Bahamian Foodie Tour: Have done this tour twice with different family groups.Walking tour full of history, information, fun and food! Tour included Graycliff chocolate factory tasting. Now when we go back to Nassau we frequent the restaurants that we enjoyed from the tour.

Rented a scooter and drove far away from the touristy areas: Ate different conch dishes and tried Bahamian beers at lots of little out of the way places. Stopped at a little deserted beach for a romantic moment.

Walking tour: Queens staircase, water tower, fort, tiki bikini bar, junkanoo beach ending up at "da fish fry" for dinner. Rode in a cab back to the ship. This was an excellent afternoon all accomplished after one of our Tru Bahamian Tours.

Diving trip with local company: 2 tank dive with sharks! Super exciting!

Shopping including Straw Market: Tourist traps. Not my idea of fun.

Pirates museum: Cheesy fun but wouldn't recommend it unless you have younger kids.

Tru Bahamian Foodie Tour: Have done this tour twice with different family groups. Walking tour full of history, information, fun and food! Tour included Graycliff chocolate factory tasting. Now when we go back to Nassau we frequent the restaurants that we enjoyed from the tour.

Another vote for the Tru Bahamian Food Tour. My husband and I took it in April 2013 and enjoyed it very much. The entire tour takes place within walking distance of the ship but away from the crowds. I still have cravings for the conch fritters, mac and cheese, and conch chowder.

If you are going to be in Nassau for that long you definitely have plenty of time to see Atlantis. I believe that they charge around 70 bucks per person for a day pass which is pretty expensive but everything at the Atlantis is expensive so go in expecting to pay an arm and a leg. At the Atlantis you can visit the water park, dine at several of their fine dining restaurants, visit the beach, and check out their aquarium. If you have children I would highly recommend the Atlantis however if you don't it might not be the best place to visit just because of how expensive it is.

If going to the Atlantis doesn't interest you, you can always go on a fishing excursion, scuba diving, or even go swimming with dolphins. Once you get off the cruise ship you will be able to find people who can help you find these things. You can also visit downtown Nassau which is good if you want to do some high end shopping.